scousecan

Question Daniel O'Connor-bootmaker to the 89th Regiment

In 1851 Would this chap and family have lived in the barracks or in Devonport itself? I don't have an address for that census, so it got me wondering!

I'm looking for our grandad his name was John Patrick married Mary Georgina in1911 in Oldham Lancashire they had six children they came over to Liverpool and eventually settled in Manchester his father was Daniel but I can't find him

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    I'm looking for our grandad his name was John Patrick married Mary Georgina in1911 in Oldham Lancashire they had six children they came over to Liverpool and eventually settled in Manchester his father was Daniel but I can't find him
    Hello Kathleen.

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

Once you've replied to my questions I will move your query to a new thread as John and Mary have no connection to Daniel.

Are you searching for John Patrick O'CONNOR, or John PATRICK? (Patrick can also be a surname.)

I can find only one John O'Connor marrying in Oldham registration district in 1911. There's no middle name, and he married Mary R Wilkinson. Georgina doesn't begin with R. That marriage took place in March quarter 1911.
    (The other couple on the marriage page were Astley Gillott and Phoebe Pearton and I've found them in the 1911 census.)

Do you have the marriage certificate, and if so, when did they marry, what are the ages of John and Mary, their occupations, and the names and occupations of their fathers?

ADDED:
    Ah, just re-read your post and the first one in the thread and realised that you've posted your query because John's father's name was Daniel and the original post mentions a Daniel O'Connor.

Oh, and another question just to clarify - is John your grandfather, or is Daniel?

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Famous for offering help & advice

What were the names of the children and DOB?

On the 1939 register John 12 february 1884 and Mary 4 September 1890 are living at 103 Oak st with children John F O'Connor 1916, Anthony 5 August 1930,1 redacted. In the same household is a Mary E Stevenson 1888.
    Mary is originally entered as Mary R O'Connor but then written above is Chilton in Green then Georgina in black. There is also a series of numbers I can't make out.
    Anthony's birth reg 5 August 1930 has the mother's maiden name Wilkinson but I can't find a birth reg for John F with that maiden name.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    On the 1939 register John 12 february 1884 and Mary 4 September 1890 are living at 103 Oak st with children John F O'Connor 1916, Anthony 5 August 1930,1 redacted. In the same household is a Mary E Stevenson 1888.
    Mary is originally entered as Mary R O'Connor but then written above is Chilton in Green then Georgina in black. There is also a series of numbers I can't make out.
    Anthony's birth reg 5 August 1930 has the mother's maiden name Wilkinson but I can't find a birth reg for John F with that maiden name.
    Christina
    FreeBMD has a birth registration John F, December quarter 1916 Sheffield registration district.

In total FreeBMD has ten birth registrations for O'Connor with MMN Wilkinson between 1912 and 1939.

Mary W, December quarter 1912, Oldham registration district.
    Johanna, June quarter 1914, Oldham registration district
    John F, December quarter 1916, Birmingham registration district.
    Amy B, March quarter 1919, Sheffield registration district.
    Kathleen, September quarter 1920, Wortley registration district.
    Patrick, June quarter 1922, West Bromwich registration district.
    Bernard, December quarter 1925, Hemsworth registration district.
    Harry, March quarter 1927, Hemsworth registration district.
    Daniel, September quarter 1928, Hemsworth registration district.
    Anthony, September quarter 1930, Manchester South registration district.
    Michael, March quarter 1935, Hemsworth registration district.

For those (naming no names! ) with shaky geographical knowledge Wortley registration district is between Sheffield and Barnsley; Hemsworth is also in the West Riding, between Barnsley, Pontefract and Selby.

1939 Register shows Amy born 1918, Bernard 1925, Harry 1927, Daniel 1928, and one redacted entry, living with parents David and Amy in South Kirkby, Hemsworth registration district. Redacted entry is likely to be Michael born 1935 Hemsworth RD.
    David and Amy married September quarter 1918, Sheffield registration district.

Which leaves six children Mary W 1912, Johanna 1914, John F 1916, Kathleen 1920, Patrick 1922 and Anthony 1930 left from the list of births with MMN Wilkinson. Which is what Kathleen said in her first post.

1939 Register has a Johanna Mullen, d.o.b. 13 May 1914, married to Francis Mullen, and living in Moulton Street, Manchester. Johanna O'Connor and Francis Mullen married December quarter 1937 Manchester South registration district.

Mary W might have married James V McDermott December quarter 1938 Manchester South registration district but I can't easily locate them in 1939.
    There are several other possible Mary W marriages.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”