Thread: Llangenten?

A fountain of knowledge

Default Llangenten?

Just posted in the census board about a place name trying to decipher. I think it says Llangenten and have discovered you can purchase a CD from Powys FHS of "Llanganten Parish Registers 1754-1901".

But I can't find this place on any maps and googling brings up very few matches. Is it known by another name? Where abouts is/was it, does anyone know? The family lived in Builth Wells but I can't track down her birth (doesn't help that her surname was Davies!).

Reputation beyond repute

This is one for your bookmarks
    https://www.genuki.org.uk/

If GenUKI doesn't have the answer, it must be a really hard question

https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/BRE...ten/index.html

A fountain of knowledge

Thank you

I really should use GENUKI more. So many sites!

Thanks anyway, it's given a good description of exactly where it is/was so that's really helpful.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Hi,
    It must still exist as I found it in a road atlas published in 2003
    Emeltee

A fountain of knowledge

I'm guessing it must be quite a small place. It's not in my 2001 road atlas and it didn't come up on Streetmap either.

Thanks for looking though

A fountain of knowledge

Just found a webpage about the parish church in Llanganten, so have worked out where it is now. It doesn't seem to mention a village of Llanganten but says it is close to Cilmery:

https://www.irfonvalleyparish.co.uk/12.html

(Just in case anyone else in the future is having the same quest as me!)

You will probably find that there are three houses close to the church and about 50 small hill farms spread over the surrounding countryside all included in the parish. That part of the country is quite steep and some of the valleys are narrow so there won't be many habitations other than small cottages on the hillsides where they eked out a living with sheep then took them into Builth Wells for the market
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Ladkyis View Post
    You will probably find that there are three houses close to the church and about 50 small hill farms spread over the surrounding countryside all included in the parish. That part of the country is quite steep and some of the valleys are narrow so there won't be many habitations other than small cottages on the hillsides where they eked out a living with sheep then took them into Builth Wells for the market
    Thanks for that It's nice to hear some background to particular areas. According to a marriage cert I have, her father was a farmer so possibly in one of those small hill farms you mentioned.

I was hoping that by working out a bit better where it was, it might help me pin them down on the census but I'm not having much luck so far.

A fountain of knowledge

Quick update. I have this morning received the booklet for the Parish Registers of Llanganten.

Sadly it doesn't cover the time period I wanted (although it's the registers from 1754-1901, baptisms only cover 1792 to 1795 )

If anyone is researching Llanganten, I'd be happy to pass the booklet on as it's on no use to me.