Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Default CATHERINE SOLOMON AND HANNAH LEVY

Steve
    The cemetery scribes records show that it was Aaron Aarons daughter Catherine who died in 1814 - Russell Court and his first wife Catherine Solomons had died before 1793 when he re- married Hannah Levy 23 Oct 1793.
    If this Aarion is the same person who married Catherine Crawcour then you now know where he came from and who his father was - Jacob Hag ( Hague)
    Phillip

SRFENN

Unhappy catherine aaron dentist 1851

Don't understand what the Scribes site means by "family 2" & "family 3"; what was "family 1" then???

He didn't waste any time getting re-married agter Catherine Solomons died did he?

So we don't know who the mother of Catherine was. Was she the product of an earlier marriage (family 1)? or was she one of Hannah Levy's children?

None of it helps a great deal does it?

If your information on Aaron Aarons being at 5, Russell Court between at least 1827/8 and 1832 is correct and, if the Aaron Aarons from the Hague was there from 1814 to 1819, they must be the same person.

The dates of birth of Catherine's children from the 1841 census are between 1818 and 1833 so that would fit with the 5, Russell Court dates for Aaron Aarons.

If Catherine Solomons died before Oct. 1793 they cannot be her children and they cannot be Hannah Levy's children as her name was not Catherine. It is difficult to believe that Aaron Aarons married a third time and to another Catherine and, as Hannah Levy died in 1819 it rules out a third wife because Samuel Aron (as spelt in 1841 census) was born to Catherine in 1818 unless he was actually Hannah's child and the next child Joseph (B. 1824) was the first birth of the new "third" wife???

Are you positive about Catherine Crawcour marrying Aaron Aarons? Where did this information come from? It would seem that, either the Catherine Aaron dentist in 1851 census is not the same as the one in the 1841 census but it is hard to believe that they both had a son called Moses born in 1829 or, the Aaron Aarons who married Cathrine Crawcour is not the same as the one born in the Hague and living at 5, Russell Court.

Alternatively, the 1841 Catherine (and, possibly also the 1851 Catherine if the same person) might not have married anAaron Aaron at all but a different Aaron (or Aron) altogether. I did find a Samuel Aron who died in Whitechapel reg. dist. in the March qtr. 1841 before the census and, as his name was Samuel and Catherine's eldest son was Samuel I was pretty sure I had found the correct candidate. I did get his death certificate and he actually died in Christ Church Spitalfields workhouse so it gives no address and no spouse and I cannot even read his age properly; it could be 93, 98, 73, 78 or, unlikely, 11 or 18, none of which helps much. I suppose it is possible that he went into the workhouse and the rest of his family did not but who knows?

All in all, then, things seem to be getting more complicated instead of clearer and I doubt if we shall ever find the true answer.

Steve

Default CATHERINE AARON

Steve
    It was my distant cousin Patrick in Melbourne who did the research on the Aaron line and our data has usually been correct not least because we hold hundreds of records on the families. In this case I think that the GRO Death certs for both Catherine and Aaron might hold clues to the relationships. The Colyer Ferguson collection also contains records of PCC wills pre 1858 but I have never looked for Aaron(s). Similarly, the Colyer Ferguson and Hyamson collection may hold family tree records of the Aaron(s) family. There are records of the Crawcour lines in the collections and I hold these plus several others. We hold no confirmed proof that Catherine married Aaron Aarons of Russell Court but again Jewish marriages were not required to be formally registered until the latter part of the 1800s.

Also, the 1841 census returns on dob are not accurate so you would need add several years. I would not rule out Aaron and Catherine Crawcour being 'married'.

I think it would pay you to visit the Society of Genealogists in London and search the Anglo Jewish collections- there are hundreds of trees. You might strike lucky- equally I am also planning to do London research and could take a look.

Phillip

I do not think this is too hard a nut to crack because the data also allows us to eliminate people. Can I suggest that you put a posting on British Jewry because this is a more specific site and in the past I have had a lot of help from people world wide. You have nothing to lose.

SRFENN

Angry Re - Catherine Solomon & Hannah Levy

So you are saying that the the Scribes site listing of "family 2" and "family 3" for Aaron Aarons of The Hague means that there was definitely a "family 1! as well?

Even so, this would mean that "family1" was even earlier than the other two and that "wife 1" would have had to have died before 1792 which totally rules out the possibilty of it being Catherine, mother of Moses born in 1829.

Or are you saying that the daughter Catherine who died in 1814 was the daughter of Catherine Solomons who, presumably died in childbirth in 1792?

There is no evidence whatsoever to suggest that there was a third marriage after Hannah Levy and nothing, so far, to support the assumption that Aaron Aarons married Catherine Crawcour. We are just as stumped as we were before and even more confused.

Also confused by your statement on 1841 dates of birth. You say in post 147 that several years must be ADDED but, previously, you said that the 1841 census dates were rounded up by 5 years so Catherine Aron b.1791 was actually 1785/6 - 5/6 years EARLIER.

I'm glad you are optimistic about cracking this nut because I am not.
    If you still want to try to crack it I'd be very pleased to learn anything further you can discover.

Best regards,

Steve

Default AARON

Steve
    In the 1841 census the ages from 15+ are usually rounded down. Have you looked on the Cemetery Scribes site?

What I will do is to visit the SOG in London and do further research. I have already asked Pat to confirm his sources. Also, there are researchers on Genesreunited who have Moses Aaron on their tree. Have you contacted them? I am working on other family lines but I will get back to you.

As I said before the relationships need working out.
    Are you going to buy any GRO Certs to check deaths etc if not I will.
    Phillip

SRFENN

Well. as I said before, I can't afford too many certificates but I thought I would get Aaron Aarons death in 1838 which might help a little. My membership of Genes Reunited has expired and I do not really want to spend more money there. Yes, I did look at Cemetery Scribes site and saw Aaron Aarons and his two wives but little else that was relevant. Also looked at Old Bailey site but didn't find anything more than what you told me about. Nevertheless, they both seem to be very good sites and might yield more in the future.

I'll be interested to learn if Pat can verify his information and advise why he is so certain about Aaron Aarons marrying Catherine Crawcour and if he has anything further to add. I really would like to crack this if possible.

Regards,
    Steve

Default CATHERINE AARONS NEE CRAWCOUR-PROOF

Steve
    Pat has contacted me regarding Catherine Aarons nee Crawcour and her marriage to Aaron Aarons. The evidence he has sent shows that there was definite relationship between Catherine and Aaron Aarons. This is what Pat has sent me:
    The GRO Death Certificate of Catherine Aarons
    28 January 1858 Hackney Road Middx
    3 Clare Street Bethnal Green
    Catherine Aarons female age 72 widow of Aaron Aarons master tailor- cause of death Chronic bronchitis ( dropsy) Informant x The mark of Mary Bland present at death 3 Clare Street Bethnal Green

We also have the will of Moses Crawcour 1858 who left a bequest to his sister "Kitty Crawcour- Catherine Aarons" she died the same year as her brother so never benefited from his bequest.

Next, we believe that Rebecca Crawcour wife of Samuel was a Levy and the first name Joseph runs throughout the Crawcour/Cashmore/Abrahams lines- Joseph Aarons was we believe named after his relatives. Rebecca Crawcour was living at Russell Court in 1817 ( Sun Fire Policy) and we think it too coincidental bearing in mind the other records that her daughter was not the same Catherine who married Aaron Aarons also of Russell Court.

There were very few women dentists in 1850 and we think it too extreme that a widow with 7 children would suddently practice dentistry unless she had a background of that skill. Joseph in 1841 is also listed as a tailor the same occupation as his father.

So, unless you think otherwise we are pretty sure that Aaron Aarons of Russell Court and Catherine Crawcour were married and that Moses is one of their sons.

If you look on the Dutch Jewry site under Ashkenazi Marriages Amsterdam you will see numbers of Aarons/Aron. The use of surnames by Jews was rare prior to the 1800s and you would need to look under the patrynomic name - Jacob.

In the JGSGB 1851 Census Petra Laidlaw has recorde Barnett Aarons as being at a shoe maker at 28 Castle Place b 1828 and in the house of Alexander Solomon a shoe maker.

Let me know what you think
    Phillip

SRFENN

Smile catherine aaron dentist 1851

O.K., that's great. thanks very much indeed. So it seems pretty conclusive that Catherine Crawcour married Aaron Aarons. So it seems that it must, indeed, have been a third marriage after Hannah Levy. Multiple marriages seem to run in the family as both Moses Aaron and his son, Aaron Lewis Aaron married twice. Shame we can't find anything definite to show when & where this third marriage took place. It must have been after 1814 (stillborn death of Hannah Levy's child) and 1818 (birth of Samuel Aaron (Catherine's son), assuming she was actually married when she had him.

Now we are left with the following problems:-

1) Why is the 1841 Catherine shown as ARON & the 1851 Catherine as
    AARON?

2) Why is Catherine shown as AARONS at the time of her death in 1858 and
    her husband as AARONS at the time of his death in 1838?

3) Why is the 1841 Catherine shown as "foreign" and the 1851 Catherine as
    having been born in Middlesex if her father was in England from 1772?
    Perhaps Elizabethm, her sister-in-law was from The Hague and came over
    here with Aaron Aarons and the census taker just assumed that Catherine
    was foreign as well?

4) Why did my Aunty say she thought Moses Aaron "came from Russia"?
    Was the story mixed up and actually referred to Moses's mother Catherine
    or to her parents?

5) How do we reconcile the four different places of birth given on various
    censuses for Moses Aaron?

Yes, I found Barnett Aaron with the Solomons family in 1851. Do you think they were anything to do wth Aaron Aarons' second wife?

Did any of the other names I mentioned mean anything at all? Especially Nichollas???

Do you know if there is any way we can find out when Samuel Crawcour and Aaron Aarons came to England?

Thanks again for all your excellent help, it's gradually coming together now.

Best regards,
    Steve

SRFENN

Default catherine aaron dentist 1851

I have just ordered Aaron Aarons' death certificate so I'll tell you what it says as sson as I receive it.

Steve

Default SAMUEL CRAWCOUR ETC

Steve
    I will answer some of the questions- we know Samuel Crawcour 1748-1816 was in England circa late 1760s-early 1770s because of his advertisements. We also know about his birth and death date from the Western Synagogue Records - Hymason and that his father was Isaac from Kracow
    As for the questions regarding Moses and also Catherine - it all depends on who is answering the census recorder's questions and the accuracy of their responses.
    I have got large numbers of different birth locations for many of my close relatives- often the census recorder wrote down a general rather than specific area. Who was going to check the data for its accuracy? None of my 4-3 x great grandparents have got correct data on where they were born- fortunately I have other records to confirm where they came from and from 1837 the GRO Records or the Jewish Records give accurate details.

We know Aaron was in Russell Court from at least 1813 to 1830s so I would put money on Moses being born at that address. Also, the Synagogue marriage records say Aaron was from the Hague.

If the SOG has the family tree of Aaron we might discover more.

Phillip

Ps I have sent Pat your data and he might come up with more but at present I know he is very busy with his business

Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast