GerMc

Default Looking for lost relative

I am searching for Elsie McDonagh who is listed as wife of my great uncle Thomas McDonagh who died in WW1 on 8th Sept 1914. According to the CWGC she is listed as residing at 24, Pancras Square, London, N.W.I. I have no information on her at all other that that. If anybody has any information I would appreciate it. Thanks

Nicolina

I've checked FreeBMD and no birth for Elsie or marriage of Thomas has been transcribed. There are, however, two marriages for Elsie McDonagh.
    Marriages Dec 1927
    Clark Thomas Islington 1b 713
    McDonagh Elsie H G Islington 1b 713

Marriages Jun 1935
    HUNT Nelson G McDonagh Hastings 2b 84
    McDonagh Elsie Hunt Hastings 2b 84

a search of the 1911 Census for Thomas gives only one:

MCDONAGH ANNIE F 1878 33 Warrington Lancashire
    MCDONAGH JAMES M 1881 30 Warrington Lancashire
    MCDONAGH PATRICK M 1905 6 Warrington Lancashire
    MCDONAGH THOMAS M 1909 2 Warrington Lancashire
    MCDONAGH ANNIE F 1910 1 Warrington Lancashire

if this is him then he seems a bit young to have been already married by 1914. Do you have more information about him?

GerMc

Hi Nicolina
    Thank you for your reply, Information on Thomas McDonagh is as follows, born 1888 in Dublin. He is not on the Irish census of 1911 so I think he may have moved to England by that stage, maybe not. His Father had died earlier and his mother remarried. I can find my Grandfather within this household but no mention of his brother Thomas. In 1911 Thomas would have been 23 so definitely not the Thomas on the UK Census of 1911. I do not know if Elsie is Irish or English or if the marriage was here or England.

Thank you for this information, it is something I can look at futher.

Ger

Red Kite

Worth bearing in mind that the CWGC entries were compiled during the 1920s, and the addresses given by next of kin are where they were living when they returned the forms to the CWGC. They were not necessarily living at the same address during the war, and the deceased may never have lived there at all.

Mutley

If Thomas is the one listed as No. 3156 1st Battalion, Irish Guards then he is listed as being resident in Dublin at time of death.

If as Red Kite says, the Pancras address could be much later then Elsie may not have come to the UK until after the war and so we will not find her in the census.

But then she could have gone back home during the war....

There are only two marriages on Free BMD for Thomas between 1908 and
    and Sept 1914
    Sept 1914 to Lillian O'Brien in Liverpool 8b/140
    June 1912 to Mary Leeming in Dewsbury 9b/1313

neither sound right

I can only see a Westmeath marriage for a Thomas McDonaugh in 1810 on the Irish Foundation site but that does not give a spouse name.

Sorry

GerMc

Thanks everyone for your replies, The address in Dublin is that of his Mother, it is possible he was still living in Ireland at the time of his signing up but he is not listed on the census in Ireland for 1911 so I thought he may have already been in England in 1911. Maybe he was still here in 1911 and just did not appear on the census for some reason. As Red Kite says, it is possible that Thomas never lived at the address given in London on the CWGC website but it appears that Elsie may have at some stage.

Thanks again for your help, I will keep digging and see what I turn up

Ger

[QUOTE=Nicolina;283886] I've checked FreeBMD and no birth for Elsie or marriage of Thomas has been transcribed. There are, however, two marriages for Elsie McDonagh.
    Marriages Dec 1927
    Clark Thomas Islington 1b 713
    McDonagh Elsie H G Islington 1b 713

Marriages Jun 1935
    HUNT Nelson G McDonagh Hastings 2b 84
    McDonagh Elsie Hunt Hastings 2b 84

a search of the 1911 Census for Thomas gives only one:

MCDONAGH ANNIE F 1878 33 Warrington Lancashire
    MCDONAGH JAMES M 1881 30 Warrington Lancashire
    MCDONAGH PATRICK M 1905 6 Warrington Lancashire
    MCDONAGH THOMAS M 1909 2 Warrington Lancashire
    MCDONAGH ANNIE F MCDONAGH 1910 1 WARRINGTON
    I am positive they are related to me Thomas was my Grandad and Patrick was his brother. Patrick was in the army during WW2. Thomas or Tommy as he was known was married to Nora McDonagh nee Kennelly. My grandad and his brother lived in Warrington as kids I believe they were separated. Tommy was bus driver for CIE and resided in Kilfenora, Killaloe and Lisdoonvarna in Co. Clare. Tommy passed in Lisdoon in 1981 and my gran passed away in 2010. The house in Lisdoonvarna they resided from early 1960s to 2010. I dont know much about my Grandads brother all I know is i once saw a pic of him with a pal in battle fatigues in sugar cane field somewhere in France. I know some time after the war in he settled in Belfast and that when the troubles started in Northern Ireland his son got killed and from surname McDonagh of those killed during the troubles was in the IRA. Would like to know more of my grandads brother who he served with etc.