Default Elwood in Gt Gransden

I'm looking for help with my Elwoods.
    Jesse Elwood married Jane Findon 1792 Sutton, Bedfordshire. No mention of Jesse Elwood in Beds. prior to this but a submitted baptism in Gt. Gransden 27/11/1762 as well as a submitted marriage for his parents George Elwood and Elizabeth Barrans 11/10/1761. Does anyone have Gt. Gransden PR to check the entries for me or knowledge of the Elwoods in the area?
    Any help or advice appreciated.
    Angelaj

davidcarca

Hi Angela

Hunts Marriage Index shows the marriage took place in Gt Gransden in 1761, so the member submission looks authentic. Jesse's marriage in Sutton is also a member submission - have you checked the register to see if he was of the parish of Gt Gransden?

I have a few Elwoods from Gt Gransden in my tree, but the closest is one who married my 3xg grandmother in 1824, but she'd already produced my gg grandfather by her cousin by then!

David

davidcarca

Just found Gt Gransden baptisms and marriages are on the BVRI The marriage took place on 8 Nov 1761. Bet the member submission has the banns date. Unfortunately I'm only allowed 10 mins to amend my post and that was 30 mins ago, so I've had to repost.

Jesse's baptism was on 27 Nov 1763 (not 1762 - are member submissions ever right?), son of George and Elizabeth. Shout if you need siblings etc

David

Hi David,
    Thanks for your help again. I haven't checked the original register yet to see if he was from Gt. Gransden, there's no mention of it in the transcript but that's not conclusive. There seem to be only a handful of Elwoods in Bedfordshire before Jesse's marriage so I thought it was worth looking into. Very little on the BLARS index which would tend to support my theory that the family came from outside the county sometime in the 1700s.
    There's one family, Charles and Elizabeth Elwood who had children baptised 1761 and 1766 in Potton and one in 1760 Sutton, but otherwise nothing. No sign of a marriage for them on the IGI in any county. Closest is another submitted one for Gt. Gransden in 1748, so not very likely. They look to be the likeliest parents for Jesse at the moment but I'm keeping an open mind on the Hunts. connection.
    Yes please, I would like the siblings, IGI coverage seems a little lacking.
    Angelaj

davidcarca

Hi Angela,

My mother was born in Gt Gransden, Hunts, walked a mile along the road to school at Little Gransden, Cambs and walked the other way to the markets at Gamlingay Cambs and Potton, Beds. So whilst it looks significant that these Elwoods lived in different counties, in practice it was only the next village!

The Beds transcripts show parishes of residence if not otp, so if Gt Gransden isn't shown as Jesse's parish then you can assume he was otp.

I think the Charles and Elizabeth in Potton are probably the ones who married in 1748 in Gt Gransden. They baptised seven children in Gt Gransden between 1749 and 1758 and then no trace. And not a Jesse amongst them.

George and Elizabeth's other children baptised in Gt Gransden were:
    Charles 12 Apr 1762
    Elizabeth 23 Feb 1766

An Elizabeth Elwood, infant was buried in Gt Gransden on 10 Dec 1766, and another Elizabeth on 12 Dec 1766. Daughter and mother? Probably, as George Elwood widower, married Eunice Keymer on 14 March 1768 at Gt Gransden

I think the Jesse who married in Sutton was probably the son of George and Elizabeth. He was buried at Sutton on 25 Apr 1839, age 74, which is pretty close to a 1763 birth.

David

Many thanks for all that. I think I'm fairly happy to put Jesse as son of George and Eliz and go with the Gt. Gransden baptism. The burial for Jesse was particularly helpful, I didn't have that and it does tie it all together.
    Angelaj