Gloria

Default Land Tax Returns 1780-1832-look up pls

I was wondering if some kind soul living near the Lancashire Records Office in Preston could do a look up for me. I am searching my WILKINSON family who lived in Simondstone 1816. I have record there is a Wilkinson Farm in Simondstone and still exists. I am trying to find out if Edmund and Catherine WHITEHEAD Wilkinson lived on this particular farm in 1816 where their son (my Great Grandfather) Robert Wilkinson was born. His birth record reads father's occupation as "Farmer". I understand the record will only show the head of the household. Even if it isn't an Edmund WILKINSON living there, I would appreciate knowing the name anyway as I have his sibling names.
    The reference for Simondstone is QDL/B/69. They suggest I come to the office to consult these records which is impossible as I live in Canada. Anyone able to help me out here? Their rules info does not show any charge for this search but I would be more than pleased to reimburse any cost you incur by return post.

Thank you. Gloria.

klsfs

Smile Hi there! We're apparently relatives.

I'm a descendant of Robert Wilkinson and Grace Lee.

I was in England last month. I wish I'd had this information then. I will be going back to England next year. If you can wait that long, I will look up the information you're seeking then.

I have tried to contact you by e-mail. Hopefully you're still using the same address!

klsfs

Smile

Gloria, I spoke to my mom last night, and she says you're her first cousin.

sandgrown

Can you tell me a little about these Land tax returns that are at The Record office? Are they just for Lancashire? I have ancestors who were farming in the Fylde.
    Thanks
    Sandgrown
    Last edited by sandgrown; 15-10-2005 at 2:37 AM.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by sandgrown
    Can you tell me a little about these Land tax returns that are at The Record office? Are they just for Lancashire? I have ancestors who were farming in the Fylde.
    The Land Tax assements cover the whole country and can be found in the relevant county record office. They generally include owners and occupiers of land and tax, those I've used do not identify individual properties.

In addition there are the Land Tax Redemption Office Quotas and Assessments for 1798-9 held by the National Archives in IR23. Related records in IR22 and IR24 include some maps and certificates by which it is possible to indentify some properties.

Geoffers

sandgrown

Thanks G. It is always great to find a new source for information.
    Jen

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Gloria's niece

Quote Originally Posted by klsfs View Post
    Gloria, I spoke to my mom last night, and she says you're her first cousin.
    I would love to know more about what you found since you last contacted my aunt.
    the name of Edmund & Catharine Wilkinson's farm was Higher Trap farm in Simonstone, near Padiham.

Hi Phoebe and welcome to the Brit-Gen forums

Unfortunately this is a very old thread and all the participants are no longer members of Brit-Gen. The word 'Guest' under their user names is the clue. This means we do not hold any contact information for them so they will not receive notification of your post.
    If you still need help with this family maybe our very cluey members may be able to help. So if you wish to post exactly what it is you are searching for I am sure it won't be too long before some members try to help.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs