Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Carmy

Default Sarah Anne Davies

I found three with birthdates within a few years of each other. Which one should I follow?

Newcastle Emlyn, 1885 or 1887 (mentioned twice)

Page numbers found are 11b, 27, 28, 32.

How can I find out which one is mine? Where should I go to access those pages?

Procat

You will probably need to get some at least of the certificates from the GRO.

They cost 7 pounds but you can ask them to check the name of a parent (probably the name of the mother is best in case Dad is not recorded) and to only provide a certificate if it matches. They will charge 3 pound to do the search but if they find a match they do not charge the search fee for that certificate.

John Nicholas

Hello Carmy,

Procat has given good advice (he's not just a pretty face!). But I wonder how sure you are about, in particular, the registration district. A FreeBMD search on Sarah Ann(e) Davies across those years in Carmarthenshire, Cardiganshire and Pembrokeshire produces between one and 5 results per quarter.

Newcastle Emlyn is technically in Carmarthenshire, although it does straddle the Cards border. Perhaps you know all this but I thought I'd flag it up before you start spending money.

John

Carmy

Many thanks to both of you.

The information I have came via BMD. Sarah Anne Davies was my grandmother, married to Thomas Edward Crompton in 1902. They lived at Penlanganol Farm, Cwmpengraig, Drefach Velindre, CMN just a mile or so from the Cardigan border. So far, anything registered for the family occurs in Newcastle Emlyn, i.e., all births of children and marriages.

The Crompton burial plot is at Penboyr Church, CMN and Sarah Anne us buried there, but I can't find additional details of her family or, for that matter, anything for my grandfather. He appears to be the first generation of Cromptons in the area.

I guess I'm against a brickwall until more transcripts appear on BMD. I'm one of the volunteers, so I'm doing my bit to them on line.

Carmy

p.s.

On BMD, the marriage record shows Sarah Anne Davies as page 11b and 37, so she's the one I need.

John Nicholas

That looks good. I assume you realise that the marriage certificate should give the names and occupations of both fathers, if they are in any doubt.

Have you tracked either grandparent through the censuses?

By the way, Thomas Edward CROMPTON was registered at Newcastle E in June quarter 1880, vol 11b page 27 (source FreeBMD).

John

Carmy

Many thanks for the information, John.

I found my grandfather's brother, James Morgan Crompton, registered in Newcastle Emlyn in 1878. I assume it's the same family because the name is fairly rare in Wales. I think it means there are great-grandparents around somewhere, unless they moved down from Lancashire where most Cromptons seem to live.

I haven't checked many censuses yet but I seem to have hit a dead end with my mother's side of things so that's my next move.

BMD is a wonderful resource and much easier to use than some other places I could mention. And I'm very grateful for the help I'm finding here.

Carmy

I'm finding it hard to get any information from censuses and I'm ready to scream at Ancestry. Although I have UK & Ireland set up in Favourites, the minute I log on Ancestry kindly redirectes me to Ancestry.ca and I have to go all through the process of getting to the UK all over again. This is harder than the process of emigrating.

I believe I've found Sarah Anne's mother Elizabeth (40) and her grandmother Dinah (70) in the 1981 census. Both were widows. I also think I've found Thomas Edward's father David S (24) born in 1877 who lived in the Penbryn, Newcastle Emlyn. There is also a connection with Edward in Llandyfriog in 1880 but the transcriber typed the last name as Cromton

Most (all, I think) the information is coming through FreeBMD because I'm not having much luck with finding free information on censuses.

John Nicholas

Carmy,

I got really confused by your last posting. In the 1881 census, Tom Edward Cromton (sic) is on RG11/ 5433 f 13 p 20:

Penffin, Llandyfriog, Newcastle Emlyn, Cardiganshire (sic)
    Edward Cromton Head Mar 30 General labourer London
    Mary Cromton Wife Mar 26 - Carmarthen, Cilrhedyn?
    David Johnson Cromton Son 5 Scholar Cardigan Llandyfriog
    Tom Edward Cromton Son 11 months - Cardigan Llandyfriog

So now you know where Edward senior came from, which may or may not help! The border problem is a bit confusing. By the way, Cromton is not a variant which comes up readily on A* if you search for Crompton (Crump and various others come up much more). So you might be wise to search specifically for it.

Edward CROMPTON married Mary EVANS Sep 1875 Newcastle Emlyn Vol 11b p 45 (or rather, those names are on the same page and match the census info above).

John

John Nicholas

In 1891, Edward Crompton senior is on his own, lodging in Glamorgan (near where I grew up, in fact!): RG12/ 4410 f 92 p5.
    Here is says he was born London, Somerset Place, which might help you later on.

I could not readily see Thomas Edward and the rest of the family, but that is on a cursory search only.

John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast