Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Carmy

You are a great help to me, John. Thank you.

I came across the Cromton (sic) entry while searching for Crompton. It appeared half way down the page so even the search site thought it appeared valid. Some people don't sound the p when they say the name so a clerk or transcriber could easily be confused.

Birth Year <1880>
    Birthplace Llandyfriog, Cardigan, Wales
    Age 11 m
    Head of Household Edward CROMTON

Dwelling Penffin
    Census Place Llandyfriog, Cardigan, Wales
    Family History Library Film 1342308
    Public Records Office Reference RG11
    Piece / Folio 5433 / 13
    Page Number 20

I also came across the reference to London, which I found very confusing. I'll try following it through to see where it leads. Yours is the first connection I've seen to Glamorgan around that time, although I have family in Glamorgan now (Pontrhydyfen and Taibach). Having Newastle Emlyn show up in both Cardiganshire and Carmarthenshire doesn't help. I always check both counties and tend to find information in both counties, too.

So David S Crompton of Penbryn doesn't look to be of the same family. I assumed a connection because of the location and because, following what seems to be the rule when naming babies, Thomas Edward and Sarah Anne's first boy was named David (my dad). The second son they named Edward (Ted). Other siblings were named William and Rachel. Hah! And I thought having uncommon names (on both sides of the family) would make it easier to research.

What I'm gleaning right now is that Thomas Edward was a farm labourer (it keeps cropping up) who married the daughter (Sarah Anne Davies) of a widow (Elizabeth Davies) and grandaughter of a widow (Dinah Davies) who all lived at Penlanganol Farm, Cwmpengraig. It would explain why Sarah Anne was the boss in all things to do with the family--her family owned the land for several generations. I found reference to 43 acres but I am no good at judging area size so I have no idea how big that would be. In Penboyr churchyard, the family has a fair sized plot railed off for their own use. It isn't something I've seen too often so the family must have been thought wealthy or important at one time. Mind you, they could have been like Sarah Anne who liked to put on a good show. Her gravestone is a sight to see, very fancy.

Once again, Many thanks for your help.

John Nicholas

One to look at from 1861:
    Edward Crompton aged 8 born London is living with his grandparents, James & Eleanor Jones, at Cwmdu farm in Bettws Evan, Cards: RG9/ 4183 f 23 p 4.

In 1901, Edward and Mary are back at Cwmdu, with four of their younger children: RG13/ 5140 f 90 p 1.

John

John Nicholas

FreeBMD has no Edward Cromptons registered in London between 1850 and 1854. However, there are:
    Edward CRUMPTON Sep 1851 Marylebone Vol 1 p 170
    Edward CRAMPHORN Sep 1852 Bermondsey 1d 77

John

Carmy

Fantastic, John. Thank you so much.

I'm going to have some lunch and then I'll try tracking down his grandparents. It could be how the name Crompton ended up in Caridiganshire or Carmarthenshire. If they were also farmers, and it was probably a small farm, it makes sense that Edward would have to look for work elsewhere.

I'll let you know if I find anything.

Carmy

A mystery.

I found this during this morning's search:

1851 Census Penboyr
    Penlanganol, Elizabeth, Davies, Dau,,13,, Penboyr, CMN
    Penlanganol, Jane, Davies, Wife, M, 50,, Penboyr, CMN

Earlier searches gave:
    Penlanganol, Dinah, Davies, Head, Widow, 71, Farmer, Carmarthen, Penboyr 1891 Census Penboyr (Born 1820?)

Penlanganol, Elizabeth, Davies, Daughter, Widow, 40, Farmer's daughter, Carmarthen, Penboyr 1891 Census Penboyr (Born 1841?)

Is it possible that more than one Mr. Davies farmed there and these are cousins or sisters-in-law? (Sorry, I don't have any men's names for these widows.)

The farm was fairly large but I've just found out it has been turned into holiday cottages: Penlanganol Holiday Cottages in Carmarthenshire. (Trying to find a photo.) I know my father and his siblings had no interest in farming and that Sarah Anne's will spread the money among children and numerous grandchildren, so I guess that saw the demise of the old homestead.

Any suggestions? It still looks like Elizabeth was Sarah Anne's mother.

LizShu

Default Penlanganol

Sarah Ann was my grandmother.Her parents were David Davies & Rachel James.Sarah Ann(Siran) lived in Penlanganol all her life There were 2 farms next to each other Penlanganol & Penlangerrig.The family members seemed to move back & forth between the 2 farms & I believe some members lived in the out houses.(the cause of your mystery!)I have lots of info too much to fit here. If you ask specific questions with relevant dates then I may be able to help you

LizShu

Who were your parents? Was your father David?I didn't know I had a cousin in Canada! Our grandfather Tom was born in Llandyfriog but was a farm servant in Penlanganol?He must have fallen in love with the owner's daughter!Tom & Siran had 8 children, 2 of whom died in infancy.I have a copy of a photo of them with 7 of their children.
    I visited Penlanganol a few months ago. It's greatly changed since I went there as a child before my grandparents died.
    I'm new to this site , not sure if I'm using it correctly!I do hope you get this message as I'm now very curious.

Carmy

Hi, Liz. Wow! We might be part of the same family.

Yes, David was my father. I had an Uncle Will, and an Uncle Ted. Ted's son is Gareth. Uncle Will spent some time in Canada and married later in life, when he returned to Wales.

There was an Aunty Ray (Rachel), and an aunt who lived in Conwil Elfed but I don't remember her name. They ran the post office there. Their son, Gethin, was killed in a motorbike accident years ago.

I have only vague memories of Penlanganol and only remember visiting there once as a child, when my grandfather was still alive.

If any of these seem familiar, then we are related.

How exciting!

Carmy

Hi again, Liz.

I've sent you a PM but I'm not sure if I've set it up right. If you don't get it, let me know.

Carmy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12