Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spangle

Re Chesterfield - there is mention of Great Chesterfield in Essex in the NA collection and a further few mentions online, one of which says it is/was in Uttlesford.

Richard Miller

Smile Clergyman father in prison - mother deceased - what happened to their children?

Hi folks

Many thanks to you all for your valuable assistance.

I am sure that my George Hamilton Eardley Garrett is the one at St. Saviour School in the 1871 census who had emigrated to New south Wales in 1875. It looks like he gave the me of the place in Derbyshire where he lived as a young child pre 1861.

I also think that the Charles V Garrett in the 1871 Census at school in Canterbury is also correct assuming that he gave the location of his father who was by then headmaster of a school in Malton Yorkshire as his birthplace, and he may well have been the Charles E V Garrett in the 1881 Census working as an Agricultural Laborer on a Farm in Strensall, just north of York. Coincidentally not to far from Malton!

It seems somewhat cruel and out of character in the Garrett side of my family that both Charles and George did not attend school together and live in close proximity to anyone of their uncles or aunts in Hampshire. also it seems pretty cruel that their own father didn't take them with him after he was released from prison and when he married his second wife.

I cant find a Charles Valentine Garrett in any census after 1881 in the UK. Does anyone know iif it is possible to search the Australian Census records or BMD records online?

Again thanks so much for your helps

best wishes

Richard.

stickymone

Hi Richard,

I agree, how sad for the brothers to be split up in that way. I wonder if George went to St Saviours by way of a favour. The Founder Nathaniel Woodward was a man of the cloth, I wonder if he and Georges father knew each other.
    Still doesn't explain why both brothers didn't go though.

As far as Aus is concerned hopefully by pushing this thread back to the top one of the Aussies will answer your question.

Can't all be having a 'barbie' can they?

Stickymone

Nicolina

you might be able to find Australia BMDs via:
    https://www.archives.tas.gov.au/links
    I think that's how I found some. There are records online but you need to search by Territory.
    good luck

Procat

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Miller View Post
    Hi folks

I cant find a Charles Valentine Garrett in any census after 1881 in the UK. Does anyone know iif it is possible to search the Australian Census records or BMD records online?

Again thanks so much for your helps

best wishes

Richard.
    Hi Richard,

You will not find census for your time frame online for Australia. Being of convict origin and suspicious of authority we destroyed most of them.

This thread will assist you regarding BMD records.

I have the Victorian indexes on CD and there was no trace.

I'm researching the Garrett family for other reasons (my music teacher/choirmaster was a grandson of Henry Godden Garrett). On the question of the 'missing children' - I'll come back to you on this, as I have developed 'methods', over 20 years of research, which may lead me to them. All I want to mention at this point is: are you aware that Henry Godden Garrett's brother, George Mursell Garrett (G M Garrett) was a distinguished composer of church music during the Victorian era?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12