Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Richard Miller

Smile Clergyman father in prison - mother deceased - what happened to their children?

Hi B G Forum members

My Great Grandfather Rev. Henry Godden Garret married twice. He married his first wife who was Emma Graham Eardley Howard (born 24 Nov 1833 in Barrackpore, West Bengal, India according to the IGI) in the Mar quarter of 1854 Free BMD has this as
    Henry Geddes Garrett to Emma Graham Yardley Howard Kensington 1a 15.

They had 3 children, William Henry Eardley Garrett who was born and died in 1855, George Hamilton Eardley Garrett baptised 03 Mar 1856 at Saint Mary, Cardiff, Glamorgan, Wales, and Charles Valentine Eardley Garrett baptised 16 Mar 1857 at Saint Mary, Cardiff, Glamorgan, Wales, according to the IGI.
    I can’t find any record of their births however.

At the time of the 1861 Census Henry Godden Garrett age 30 a widower and a clergyman was a prisoner (for mis-appropriation of church funds I believe) in Derby Goal, and his wife Emma’s death was registered according to Free BMD in the March quarter of 1861 Garrett Emma Graham Eardley Derby 7b 279.

I have found their children George and Charles in the 1861 Census living at Colebrooke Street, St. Peter Colebrooke, Winchester with their grandfather (my great great grandfather) William Garrett age 72 born Winchester, Lay Vicar of the Cathedral.

By 1871 Henry Godden Garrett was Master of Malton Grammar School in North Yorkshire had married again (in 1864 in St. Albans) and was living with his wife Hannah (nee Swinburne) and their children (but not George and Charles) in Old Malton.

Any help to find out what became of George and Charles would be gratefully appreciated.

Many thanks

Richard

Famous for offering help & advice sue2white's Avatar

Hi
    There is a Charles Garrett in Sheffield as a lodger in 1871, although it says birthplace as Sheffield, this may be incorrect.

RG10; Piece: 4676; Folio: 34; Page: 23;

Did they have any younger sisters?
    There are a band of young Garretts including a George born in India, living with grandparents in Hampstead

Class: RG10; Piece: 197; Folio: 4; Page: 1;

Sue

stickymone

Hi Richard,

I've Found George on the 1871 census surname spelt GARRETT he's a pupil
    at St Saviors College Ardingly Sussex It's now called Ardingly College Folio Ref
    RG10/1060/F?

If I get Charles I'll let you know

Stickymone

Nicolina

in 1871 a 13 year old Charles V Garrett was a pupil at Watling Street, St Mary Bredin, Canterbury where his place of birth is given as Malton, Yorkshire
    RG10/968/77 Page 2

There's a Charles E V Garrett, 27, unmarried, servant living in Strensall, Yorkshire in 1881. Place of birth sadly NK (not known)

RG11; Piece: 4730; Folio: 7; Page: 7
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

stickymone

Sorry Richard,

I should have said the census has his birthplace as Chesterfield Essex. It does list all his christian names however so I would suggest it must be your man.

It's a bit of an odd one though, I thought Chesterfield was in Derbyshire. I tried google maps for it in Essex and it came back no trace

Stickymone

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by stickymone View Post
    Sorry Richard,

I should have said the census has his birthplace as Chesterfield Essex. It does list all his christian names however so I would suggest it must be your man.

It's a bit of an odd one though, I thought Chesterfield was in Derbyshire. I tried google maps for it in Essex and it came back no trace

Stickymone
    Maybe they meant Chesterford. Both Great Chesterford and Little Chesterford are in Essex.

George Hamilton Garrett arrived 28 January 1875 on board 'Cornuvia' in Sydney, New South Wales, aged 18
    (From NSW Unassisted Immigration Passenger Lists on Ancestry - no original image)
    Sue Mackay

Quote Originally Posted by stickymone View Post
    Hi Richard,

I've Found George on the 1871 census surname spelt GARRETT he's a pupil
    at St Saviors College Ardingly Sussex It's now called Ardingly College Folio Ref
    RG10/1060/F?
    If you're looking for him on Ancestry he has been indexed as George Hamittor Easdley PARRETT

The place of birth does appear to be Chesterfield, Essex
    Sue Mackay

stickymone

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Mackay View Post
    George Hamilton Garrett arrived 28 January 1875 on board 'Cornuvia' in Sydney, New South Wales, aged 18
    (From NSW Unassisted Immigration Passenger Lists on Ancestry - no original image)
    Nice one Sue,

Looks like he went to Aus then. I wonder what he got up to there and whether his brother joined him. I'm not familiar with research down under are there any checks our friends down under can do? With names like his you would have thought he would shown up somewhere

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast