Thread: FreeReg

Jumarjo

Default FreeReg

Hello Everyone,
    Please can anyone tell me what the File Numbers mean at the bottom of Baptism entries for example.
    Am thinking that this means all Baptism entries with the same file number relates to one particular family, am I correct?
    Thank you

Colin Moretti

Quote Originally Posted by Jumarjo View Post
    Hello Everyone,
    Please can anyone tell me what the File Numbers mean at the bottom of Baptism entries for example.
    Am thinking that this means all Baptism entries with the same file number relates to one particular family, am I correct?
    Thank you
    I've done a little transcribing for FreeREG but I don't know either! What I can say is that it doesn't relate to a particular family as I've checked several baptisms for a given surname with different sets of parents, they have the same file number.

Colin

Jumarjo

Default Freereg

Thank you colin for your help.

AMSA

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Jumarjo View Post
    Hello Everyone,
    Thank you
    The file number is just that. The number of the file that was loaded onto the database.
    It does not relate to family groups - freeREG is merely transcribing the data as it is written, NOT trying to interpret it.
    However it makes sense that you will find SOME members of the same family in the same file simply because they were transcribed from the same register, by the same transcriber, and loaded onto the database at the same time.

For example I have transcribed a number of burial records for Oundle NTH and my 1793-1812 burial file happens to be number 176.
    I hope I have not confused the issue further here!
    Regards,
    Anna
    Northamptonshire Coordinator
    freeREG

MythicalMarian

Default A huge thank you to the folks at FreeReg

Rather than start another thread about this, may I just add that I have spent the most fruitful day on Free Reg today and am on the verge of a very big breakthrough with my Lincolnshire line (so much so that I am about 75% sure I've found two new 6xggrandfathers - all that remains is just to check the originals, but the info in the transcribed PRs seems pretty full and conclusive). Lincolnshire in particular seems to be excellently covered, and finding scores of my Pridgeons has kept me busy all day! I've been able to cross reference with censuses and later BMDs too, so I'm a very happy bunny. I've also been able to totally disprove someone's submitted info on the IGI, which I was always suspicious about But once again, I am blessed here with a very good surname for tracing, so I do realise that it can be the luck of the draw.

So, to sum up, can I also say thanks to all you wonderful people who make this possible. I am actually going to get in touch with the Cheshire coordinator to see if I can do my bit for this project. It has given me so much today that I feel bound to put something back in.

spison

Default Seconded!

These sites (the three frees) are just wonderful and very much appreciated.

Jane

Kirk Dawson

Quote Originally Posted by spison View Post
    These sites (the three frees) are just wonderful and very much appreciated.

Jane
    Its really rewarding to have such positive feedback. It balances the brickbats we get now and again when we fail to respond to emails.
    Remember we are as good as the volunteers that contribute their time and effort.
    Kirk