richardstree

Default adoption certificates

If I did go down the route of sending for an adoption certificate what kind of information would be on it?

This isnt something i will be jumping into but I am curious as to what I may find out before doing it.

Thanks in advance

Just answered my own question there by googling stuff.

Thanks

v.wells

Richard, what were your findings?

Mutley

Have a read of this thread, it may answer your question.

P.S. the red words are because I put 'adoption' and 'certificate' into the BG forum search box to try to find the thread.

v.wells

I remember reading all that Mutley. Thanks for the thread link

richardstree

Default my findings

Well I quickly goggled "information on an adoption certificate" and found out that I would not have any more information than I already have for the family member.

We sent for copies of lots of relatives birth certs over the last few years and were completely shocked to find out that a very close family member was adopted.

It has never been mentioned, the lady that adopted wasnt married at the time, which must have been quite unusual in the 50's, although she was an SEN at the time, which may have made a difference.

The family members involved are both still living. This is absolutely none of our business and even if every single detail of the adoption (birth parents etc) was available (I know they arent) I know it would not be something i would do. We have known for some time now and once in a while I do wonder about it.

I wonder how the adoption happened in 1950's to an unmarried woman in a place that was about 70 miles away from home, which today isnt very far but would probably been quite a long journey in 1950's.

It must have been very difficult and shows what a strong person the adopted mother must have been.