Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bell/diamond

amanda77

Thanks for your offer! Much appreciated!!
    I will try going to Dalnotter again too!! Only problem is i am usually there at a weekend, so probably no-one about to ask!!
    Fingers crossed! They have to be somewhere don't they!!

Thanks again
    Amanda

joette

Thumbs up Re Dalnottar Cemetery

Hi if you give me names dates etc I will go & have a look for you. I am visiting
    week of the 24th July - it is a nice walk to take the kids or the dog through the Glen. I will also ask my Aunt /Uncle /Mother who have been around Clydebank a few more years than me. Good hunting
    Reason for damage of the gravestones is the Blitz alot of the cemetery was damaged as it adjacent to the former M.O.D Oil Depot on e of my great uncles recieved I think the George Medal for bravery during the attack on same.
    Last edited by joette; 13-07-2005 at 9:55 AM. Reason: forgot to mention

amanda77

Robert BELL born 1892 (don't know where) Parents names James BELL & Mary Jane EWING

Isabella DIAMOND born 1888 (ireland) Parents Michael & Rose-Ann DIAMOND

They married 27th March 1914 Old KIlpatrick

I know Isabella died after Robert, as my father can remember her. She lived in Whitecrook, Clydebank until she died. (dad was born 1956).

My dad has no idea when Robert died.

I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out.
    Regards
    Amanda

joette

Exclamation re Bell/Diamond

Hi no luck with the Cemeteries but it has occured that West Dumbartonshire must have the Records. The cemeteries in the area were always beautiful & I used to look at others scornfully as they looked so neglected but now ours have joined the ranks I am so ashamed at their condition.
    Any joy with Obits?

amanda77

It is such a shame the headstones do get damaged so easily through the wonderful Scottish weather!!
    Thanks a lot for looking for me in the cemetery. I hope you enjoyed your visit back home!

Thanks again
    Amanda

joette

Thumbs up Bell/Diamond

Hi Amanda, I had a great visit home. The damage/neglect I was refering to was the neglect of West Dumbartonshire. When the Cemetry was under the control of Srathclyde(?) it was always immaculate but now it looks like an abandoned site. I would willingly pay a yearly fee to have my Families last resting place look good. There are at least five generations of my Family in OK.My GGranfathers headstone which he made himself(he was a Master Stonemason) was destroyed in the 1968 storm.The other stones are still standing & easily readable in the main.
    Sorry I couldnt find anything but will ask my sister who works for W.D. council who you should contact. Will E-Mail if successful

amanda77

Thanks for that.

I think there are quite a few people who would agree with you about West Dunbartonshire Council!! There have been some improvements but a lot of unnecessary things too! Did you notice all the floral arrangements along the whole if Dumbarton Road, I am amazed they haven't been vandalized yet, but i think they are also a bit of an eyesore!!

What a shame they don't look after our cemeteries. These places are full of family history and especially now that geneology is such a popular subject, it is in everyones interest to maintain these places!

Thanks again, Jeanette,

Amanda

joette

Thumbs up bell/diamond

hi amanda,
    i think i may have some help for you. the place to go for info re burial plots is Roseberry Place.They have all the indexeses for Clydebank Cemeteries.
    I am on hols or I would have e-mailed you.
    Also checking archives in Clydebank Library bingo I found picture Death notice for my Mums Uncle who was KIA WW1.They have loads more new stuff so may be worth a check.Also I noticed a Singer Queens section-pictures on the wall as you go downstairs=one is for 1936 surname Diamond- any relation? I cant remember Christian namebutcould have been Diamond.
    Any Diamond relationsfrom Dumbarton? My Uncle worked with a Diamond fromthere in Singapore.

amanda77

Smile

Hi jeanette,

Thanks for that! I will have to persuade mum to mind the kids for an afternoon, and go for a good look in Clydebank Library. I did try to take them with me one time, but unfortunatly sitting quietly with a book, or colouring book doesn't appeal to a 1 year old or 4 year old!! I tohught we were going to end up getting chucked out!!

I will also give Roseberry Place a bash too. I managed t get a phone number online, so that is worth a try.

Well done, locating the photograph. You must have been really pleased with that!!
    Enjoy the rest of your holiday,

Amanda

seekingherbert

Hello Amanda,
    try posting your query on talkingscot site,
    Regards,
    Cathy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast