Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Brick wall demolition expert!

On 8 December 1997 Fulham Lodge 2512 celebrated W. Bro Harry Waters' staggering 70th year as a lodge member, clocking up over 72 years as a mason (he was initiated in July 1925 into Commercial Lodge, 245 in Dublin). Becoming WM of Fulham Lodge in 1938, he was awarded London Grand Rank in 1950 and hasn't missed a summons for over 20 years. A pianist and clarinet player, Bro Harry continues as the lodge organist. He is also a member of the Magic Circle, a joker and raconteur and a doctor to the Amateur Boxing Association. Bro Harry served his country in South Africa, India and Burma during the war and is still a qualified doctor. Asked whether or not the craft had changed much in the last 72 years, the veteran mason was of the opinion that it hadn't really changed at all. W. Bro Dr Harry Waters PM, LGR was born on 16 August 1903.

Adele

Spangle

Thank you - thats a handy list to refer to.

A fountain of knowledge

I note that the National Library of Australia also has Irene Kohler material in their collection.

https://protocat.nla.gov.au/Record/3529053

Best wishes,

Lenore

Spangle

Thank you Lenore, they have indeed. A wonderfully kind man there went through all the boxes of material and sent me copies of all that which he thought might be interesting to me.

Problem is, the life history of Irene which they hold conflicted with some stuff I KNOW to be true! For example, it says that Irene took her mothers maiden name of Kohler when her father left the family during her childhood, but it was definately her Dad, my G-Grandad's brother, who was a Kohler, not her mum.

However, the info is superb and I was sent a photo of Irene too, the picture of mid 1990's elegance.

Emsworth

Hello. Are you still seeking info about Harry Waters and Irene Kohler? Dr. Waters was my GP, my father's GP and a close family friend. I met Irene several times and visited their house in Castelneau Road, Barnes.

I think the Australian connection was that Harry's children from his first marriage live there. Harry often went out to Australia to visit relatives.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Have you looked at books.google.co.uk where ther is a wealth of information on Irene KOHLER pianist, her name is included in Sir john Barbirolli's biography!

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Doctor Waters was my great grandfather

Quote Originally Posted by Spangle View Post
    One of my more recent ancestors was a pianist who was famous in classical music circles. She was my Nan's cousin and died in London, where she was born, in 1996, as far as we know without issue. A collection of her documents is held at the Callaway Centre, Australia. These were donated by her husband, a Dr Harry Waters. Why they are in Oz is a mystery as my side of the family have no known connection to the country so I have emailed the Callaway to find out and am awaiting their reply.

Dr Waters was, as far as Google tells me, a GP with a surgery at Castelnau in Barnes, SW13 - this is also the address we have for his wife, Irene, who performed under her maiden name of Kohler (found via A****'s phone directory registers). The Google results for Dr Waters at the Castelnau address appear to be quite old and a search of that address indicates that it has been sold at least once in the past 10 years and that the property may now be owned by a design comapny. Given that Irene Kohler was born in 1909 it seems reasonable to assume that her husband, Dr Waters, has also passed away, hence I feel that I can mention his name on this site.

I would like to find out more about Dr Waters - perhaps he had family he knew my ancestor. I dont know anything much about her apart from her professional life as it seems she had little to do with her extended family.

My cousin ("B"), a professor of music and duettist who is well known in musical circles herself, met Irene by chance a couple of times when she was starting out in her career and Irene judged competitions. My parents divorced many years ago and so I didn't know of "B" until I began researching my family and found that she was doing the same via a genealogy website. Sadly, "B" is seriously ill now and so to cheer her up a little it would give me even more pleasure to discover more about Dr Waters and thus our Great Aunt Irene - but where would I start?

If anyone has any idea as to whom I could contact to find out more of Dr Waters I would be incredibly grateful.
    Hi, I see that this post is pretty old, but Harry Waters was my great grandfather and I'd be happy to correspond with you if you're still looking for information. He had two children Nathalie (my grandmother from his first wife) and Geoffrey. I remember him fondly before he died when I was 20 years old. Best wishes and let me know, Lucy

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Doctor Waters was my great grandfather

Hi, I see that this post is pretty old, but Harry Waters was my great grandfather and I'd be happy to correspond with you if you're still looking for information. He had two children Nathalie (my grandmother from his first wife) and Geoffrey. I remember him fondly before he died when I was 20 years old. Best wishes and let me know, Lucy

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default newcomer - a relative of Dr Harry Waters

Harry Waters' father Kalman was uncle to my grandfather - making Harry my 1st cousin twice removed if
    i got the maths right! Kalman signed my grandparents marriage certificate in Dublin circa 1905. i would like to make contact with any relatives of Harry who may be following this thread. Either post to this thread or send email to me (Brian Smith) at [email protected].

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Dear Lucy,
    I would love to hear from you to pursue our common ancestry!
    Brian
    [email protected]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast