Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Napthali Asher Hart MD

I am tracing the 'missing' relatives in my Aaron Hart and Ann Rebecca Hart nee Crawcour lines and looking for any data on their son Napthali Asher Hart b 4 May 1858 Rose Lawn Cottage Oval Kennington Surrey. Napthali married Edmee Richards ( daughter of Marion Greatorex and Alfred Bate Richards) in 1887 and on her death in 1897 was recorded as stock broke dealer although he was also a Doctor of Medicine. He had dropped the first name Napthali and called himself Asher. The two children from his marriage - Rosina Marjorie b1892 and Alfred b ? were placed in the Hambro Orphanage- records of 1908 show them at the orphanage. Rosina went to Australia but on her return to the UK married Frederick Frost in 1932.
    Asher was also supposed to have settled in Australia and the NSW records show the death of an Asher Hart in 1937 although on his daughter's marriage certificate in 1932 he was said to be deceased.

If any researchers have information on Asher or his daughter Rosina I would welcome contact.
    Phillip

Spangle

Hi,

I don't know if it is relevent but I have a copy of "Jewish London, An Illustrated History". Within it there is a mention of a Mrs Judith Levy, the daughter of Moses Hart (and a picture of her too). Mrs Levy was the main benefactor of the rebuildinng of the Great Synagogue in 1790.

There is a little more detail - please let me know if Moses and Judith are part of your Hart family and I will give you the rest of it> I can scan and send you the drawing of Judith too if it helps and you are happy to pm me your email address.

Spangle

PS Phillip - do you have a Maria Levy, daughter of M Levy (sorry, thats all I have), in your tree?

I ask as I have a Maria Levy, married Simon Oppenheim, London 1822.

I'd be delighted to share information if so.

Best regards,

Spangle

Default NAPHALI ASHER HART- LEVY

Many thanks Spangle for your kind offer to help. I do not believe that my Hart line are currently connected to your Levy and the Hart's in the Gt Synagogue data. I have seen this data some time ago and could see no connection but I know nothing earlier than my Benjamin and Henry Hart 4x great grandfathers who died circa 1836 and pre 1841 respectively. Currently I have no data on their parents/siblings.I do have Myers in my line namely Jacob Myers my 5x great grandfather and his daughter Phoebe who married Henry Hart. I have speculated that my Myers line maybe connected to the Myers of Maldon line but have no proof.
    I also hold copies of some of the Colyer Fergusson Levy data including will summaries and in addition do have various Levy relatives who married into my Hart and Crawcour lines.
    I will take a look at this data and if I see any links will let you know.
    Phillip

Spangle

Sorry it wasn't of more use Phillip. Happy hunting.

There does seem to have been a link to an earlier Napthali Hart mentioned in connection with a Judith Levy. See here

I entered Napthali Hart into Google book search and there were quite a few hits, although not all 'Full View' like this one.

Aha, this page says that this Napthali Hart died in December 1828 without direct issue, having inherited from Judith Levy, so perhaps your Asher was given the name Napthali in his honour?
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Default HART, CRAWCOUR AND LEVY

Dear Sue
    I have numbers of Hart/Crawcour/Jacobs links to Levy and here are three:
    Gentleman's Magazine 1850
    In Brompton Crescent at the residence of her son in law Abraham Crawcour esq aged 71, Sophia relict of Joseph Levy esq of Bristol

GRO Marriage certificate 10 November 1850
    Gt Synagogue John Levy batchelor full age -fruiterer 53 Gem Street Spitalfields- father-Isaac Levy -deceased
    Hannah Crawcour full age spinster- no occupation- same address as groom- father- Henry Crawcour- deceased.

Lewis Hart of 7 Hollywell St was married to Julia Levy

Thanks
    for looking
    Phillip

This post provides new data on Napthali Asher Hart aka Asher aka Arthur Robert Hart. The publication online of new records has enabled me to identify that Napthali Asher Hart aka Asher Hart aka Arthur Robert Hart were one in the same person.
    I have posted threads on the parents of Napthali Asher Hart ( see Aaron Hart-Ann Rebecca Crawcour 12.07.2014) and on the wife of Napthali ( see Edmee Greatorex Hart nee Richards 22.07. 2009).

On the death of Aaron Hart in 1887 -father of Napthali- I was puzzled to see that his will referred to a son Arthur Robert Hart. This son did not appear in any census records or birth records associated with Aaron. Although I researched Arthur and Napthali in great detail and obtained a range of records I could not locate any Arthur. Similarly, post the death of Edmee wife of Napthali I could not locate Napthali ( he had begun to call himself Asher). I have already posted on earlier threads that the two children of Napthali and Edmee- Rosina and Alfred- were placed in the Hambro Jewish Orphanage.
    Yesterday, looking at any new records on a Arthur Robert Hart I discovered that Napthali had changed his name and joined the army in 1879.
    The UK Royal Hospital Chelsea Pensioners Soldier service records 1760-1920 provided 16 pages of the full service record for Napthali aka Asher aka Arthur Robert Hart.

Napthali for whatever reason had changed his name and his religion but not his dob, trade or the address where his father was living in 1879-1881.

The records show- Arthur Robert Hart b abt 1858 Lambeth Surrey Book maker next of kin Arthur ( this is a cover up of his father's real first name of Aaron) father's address 65 King Edward's Road Victoria Park.
    Importantly, this is the same address for Aaron Hart in the 1881 census- RG11 313 86 10 ( Copyright,TNA)
    65 King Edward's Road Hackney London
    Aaron Hart H Widower 72 out of business b Middx Whitechapel
    Eva dau u 30 b Middx Whitechapel
    Grace dau u 18 b Surrey Lambeth
    Bernard son u 26 Shoe Manufacturer b Surrey Lambeth
    +1 servant

Napthali aka Asher aka Arthur Robert Hart had enlisted in 1879 27 October - Aldershot. He was appointed to the Army hospital Corp and transferred to Army reserve 21 Nov 1885. He described his religion as Wesleyan. His physical description was 5 feet 7 inches; chest 35 inches; complexion fresh; eyes grey;hair brown. Age on enlistment 21 years 6 months unmarried.
    He served at home 27.10.1879-16.8.82; Cyprus 7.8.82-28.9.82;Egypt 29.9.82-17.1.84;Home 18.1.84-24.9.84;Egypt 25.9.84-11.11.85;Home 12.11.85-26.10.91.
    Discharged 26 Oct 1891 Army Medical Corp -Private- Good Conduct. He enlisted for Section "D" 14 Oct 1891 for 4 years until his discharge from the Army Medical Staff Corp 26 Oct 1895 as a private.

Although on his GRO Marriage Certificate to Edmee Richards in 1887 he called himself a Doctor of Medicine it is clear that he was never a qualified doctor ( I have searched the UK and other medical records for qualified doctors and his name does not appear).
    Edmee died in 1897 and Napthali aka Asher aka Arthur Robert "disappears". What became of him is still unknown.
    Phillip

The trade for Arthur Robert Hart aka Napthali Asher should read BOOT MAKER on his enlistment ( a slip of the keyboard). Arthur aka Napthali aka Asher medical record shows he had bronchitis on 3 occasions; Small pox; dyspepsia.
    Phillip

Settling in

Hi Phillip, well, I have now started my lines back from Grace Hart (and William Hanson eventually) and are working on the family of Aaron Henry Hart. I am presently looking at your writing about Napthali Asher Hart, and Arthur Robert Hart, and can see a "dead end" for both so far. I know you have done more research on these 2 siblings than I have so far, and your writings, from my understanding so far, indicate to you that they are 1 and the same person.
    I was wondering if you have anything new since your Nov '16 post that may provide additional proof of this assumption, even though your information in that post provides pretty solid indications.
    My initial data searches with all of these Hart siblings is proving very interesting so far.
    Regards, and looking forward to your response. Graham Anderson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast