Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Nimity

Thanks PW, I sort of have most of the family members accounted for, it's just curiosity that make me wonder what happened to them during this time. I have found a death entry for a Frederick Gay, Aged 13, for 1897 in Chippenham. I'll send away for his death certificate and if it's the right one it may give some clues. Cheers Nimity

Nimity

Default Frederick Gay

Hi All, I have received the death certificate for Frederick Gay and it is definitely the right one. The cert states:

4th Aug 1897, Box Creek, Frederick George Gay, Aged 13, Son of Frederick Gay, Quarryman, Accidentally Drowned, Certificate received from Mr E Nicolson Browne Coroner for North Wilts Inquest held 6 August 1897

Does anyone know if it would be possible to get a copy of the inquest report, and if yes, where would I apply?

Looks like this event had a major impact on the family.

Cheers Nimity

Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Inquest report

It is unlikely that such has survived, but a newspaper account might help in stead. Given that you know the date, you could try Wiltshire & Swindon Local Studies to see if they would check a local paper for you. They're based at the Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre in Chippenham, Wilts. google it for the full address. A paper for Trowbridge or Chippenham is the best bet but I'm not sure which one would be better. If that fails, then an account might be found in the Bath Chronicle, given the closeness of Box to Bath. PW

birdlip

Quote Originally Posted by Nimity View Post

Looks like this event had a major impact on the family.
    You could be right, good to hear back from you Nimity.

Nimity

Post FRED

Thanks PW, I found their website and emailed them this morning. Fingers crossed they might be able to find something.

Hi Birdlip, getting cold isn't it, no snow yet though, I need more than one double shot latte, possibly a hot choc with marshmallows

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Hi sorry not to have visited Wiltshire sooner, Holidays sons wedding etc so been very busy.

Now I have Gay (goy or guy) in our family

on the Simpkins side from Box I have Charles Salter who married Jane Gay in Bathford their daughter Virtue Salter married Thomas Cannings and their daugher Jane married Joseph Simpkins 1847.

In Colerne Hester Razey (z, s or c) married Isaac Gay (guy or goy) Hester sister to Harriet Razey who married William Latham their granddaughter Louisa Ann married James Arthur Sumsion my g grandparents.

I do have a lot of information on Box and Colerne, fiche with burials etc. I will try and see what I can find later after I have read all the messages on here and after I have had dinner, to hot to eat early.

Irene

Nimity

Default Colerne

Hi Irene, thank you for your response. Funny, I had posted on Colerne.net after reading your entries there, hoping you would reply.
    I would be most grateful for any information you have regarding Colerne/Box, Gay/Tiley families.
    Thank you
    Pauline

I am out soon for the morning I will see about putting all the names you are interested in on sheets if you would like to email me I could send it that way, it will be too big on here. if you send it to idredge at line one dot net, remove the spaces and add the at and dot sign. I will but Box and Colerne on different sheets. You are interested in Tiley, I have a Jane Sumsion who married a Tiley about 1850-60.

Speak to you soon

Irene

Hi Pauline

I can't remember did I send the information to you. Do you have my email address.

Irene

These are the christenings I have typed up some 10 years ago as my family of Simpkins were in Box as well.
    There is a Box Hill just outside of Box Village, they most probably new my ancestors. I will have a look through all I have on Box and see what I can find for you. It may take a time

Parents
    Gay Frederic Alphonso Jane 12 October 1862 Milsplat Box Labourer
    Gay George Alphonso Jane 10 September 1865 Box Quarries Labourer
    Gay George Alphonos Alphonso Jane 11 July 1869 Millsplat Labourer
    Gay William John John Ann 12 August 1860 Kingsdown Labourer
    Gay Ellen I* John Ann 5 December 1860 Kingsdown Quarryman
    Gay Emma John Ann 12 August 1866 Kingsdown Quarryman
    Gay Eleanor none Louisa 8 February 1857 Milsplat Box

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast