Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    A fountain of knowledge mary elms's Avatar

Question HAYLOCK family - ideas needed

I've been tracing this family back through the records of Carbrooke (Norfolk) & the surrounding parishes for a number of years now only to come to a complete stop at the marriage of

Joseph HAYLOCK & Elizabeth BROOKE in 1778

before which the family completely vanishes from the records.

I suspect that they may actually originate from Cambridgeshire and that what I've been following is one of their more easterly branches. But I find myself stumped as to how to begin to search for a link.

Anyone got any ideas?

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by mary elms
    I've been tracing this family back through the records of Carbrooke (Norfolk) & the surrounding parishes for a number of years now only to come to a complete stop at the marriage of
    Joseph HAYLOCK & Elizabeth BROOKE in 1778
    before which the family completely vanishes from the records.
    Did the couple marry by licence or banns? Does the marriage register gives any clues or are they both 'otp' - were either of them widowed? Were the witnesses related?

Have you tried searching the Land Tax Returns 1798 (transcribed and indexed for the NFHS) to get an idea of the spread of the surnames in the parishes around Carbrooke? Although 70 years later, you might try something similar with the 1851 census which shows 51 Haylock/Heylock entries born in Norfolk - is the small cluster born Mundford related?

Geoffers

Smile

Thanks for the ideas Geoffers - I will certainly have a look at the land tax returns and another look at the 1851 census.

Joseph & Elizabeth were both single and otp and were married by license on the 16th June 1778. The witnesses, Thomas Reynolds & John Little aren't obviously related but certainly worth looking into further. Thanks again.

Mary.

Geoffers

Joseph & Elizabeth were both single and otp and were married by license on the 16th June 1778. The witnesses, Thomas Reynolds & John Little aren't obviously related but certainly worth looking into further. Thanks again.
    Marriage by licence is interesting - have you checked to see who was the bondsman?

Geoffers

Exclamation

No I haven't. I remember thinking "Now why did they do that?" when I first saw it (seems a long time ago now) and then I got busy with something else and it slipped out of my mind. Thanks for the reminder!!!!

Also, I see what you mean about Mundford. There's a cluster in 1841 too. It will be interesting to follow them through and see if there's a link - even if there isn't one. It's the people that interest me, not names in a database, so I shall enjoy that.

Mary.
    Last edited by mary elms; 30-03-2005 at 4:47 PM.

Geoffers

You might also check to see if there weer any HAYLOCKs admitted to copyhold lease in the parish. If they married by licence then the family may have been wealthy enough to leave wills. Lastly, you might check any militia ballots for teh area.

Geoffers

Just clsoing down for bed (much overdue - got carried away with the 1871 census) and noticed your last post.

Now here's one of the interesting things about this ......... if they had money then they appear to have lost it soon afterwards. However, I do remember finding one Henry Haylock, farmer, in White's 1883 Directory for Saham Toney. Never managed to tie him in though. According to the 1881 census he was born in Essex.

Copyhold lease sounds interesting. None of my families have ever had enough money for such a thing - they tend to crowd into rented accomodation in the East End of London. How would I go about finding out about it?

Geoffers

Copyhold lease sounds interesting. None of my families have ever had enough money for such a thing - they tend to crowd into rented accomodation in the East End of London. How would I go about finding out about it?
    Ah but rural Norfolk isn't the east end of London and you might be surprised at how many agricultural labourers had a small amount of copyhold land, passed down through the family.

You should find details of where to locate records in the Manorial Documents Register, start at The National Archives (TNA) website:
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
    move your cursor over 'Search other archives' and from the list select the Manorial Documents Register (MDR).

TNA has a couple of research guides which may help to describe them better than myself, go to:
    https://www.catalogue.nationalarchive...uidesindex.asp
    and clcik on 'M' then select anything that looks like it realtes to Manorial Documents.

Geoffers

Smile

Many, many, many thanks! I now have ideas and a pile of work that will keep me out of mischief for quite some time ............. along with visiting neices and nephews ............. which reminds me I'd better go make their beds!

Thanks again,

Mary.

Chris Trigg

Default HAYLOCK Name

Mary

I have just come across the unusual christian name of HAYLOCK in the Ely area. A HAYLOCK WATSON FULLER was born in 1857 to WILLIAM FULLER (from Ely) and ANNA ELIZABETH WATSON (who came from Soham). I can't find any evidence but I suspect that HAYLOCK was a surname somewhere in the family (as WATSON was).

Regards

Chris

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast