Thread: Frederick Smith

Frederick Smith

Default Frederick Smith

I believe a distant g,g, grandfather is buried in St Clement's Churchyard, Truro. This is the church near the Fal estuary. His name is Henry Cuming and he was ex Inniskillin Dragoons and ultimately a Chelsea pensioner. He died, we believe, July 1815. I've tried e mailing Cornwall FHS but no rsvp to date. Can anyone confirm that he is buried at St. Clement's please? Or any advice on how to about it?

v.wells

Have you tried googling the Church - most often the churchwarden will look up in their registers.

MarkJ

I would imagine the parish registers from that period will be at the Cornwall County Record Office in Truro.

Mark

Frederick Smith

Quote Originally Posted by v.wells View Post
    Have you tried googling the Church - most often the churchwarden will look up in their registers.
    Thank you for your reply, but just before that I had a contact from Cornwall Family History Society and having paid 'up front' so to speak, I'm awaiting an rsvp from them by snailmail. If that fails I shall certainly try your method of Googling Churchwardens. My wife and I have happy memories of staying with friends who, mat thgat time, lived in Calgary. Cor! what a country. Once again Diolch yn fawr iawn ich i (thank you very much , in Welsh). Frederick.

Frederick Smith

Quote Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
    I would imagine the parish registers from that period will be at the Cornwall County Record Office in Truro.

Mark
    Dear Mark, Having now had an rsvp from Cornwall FHS and now paid up front, I await a snail mail reply from them to be followed up by a visit Truro to inspect said ancestors grave, Thank you indeed for your help. Frederick.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Smile Henry Cuming

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Smith View Post
    I believe a distant g,g, grandfather is buried in St Clement's Churchyard, Truro. This is the church near the Fal estuary. His name is Henry Cuming and he was ex Inniskillin Dragoons and ultimately a Chelsea pensioner. He died, we believe, July 1815. I've tried e mailing Cornwall FHS but no rsvp to date. Can anyone confirm that he is buried at St. Clement's please? Or any advice on how to about it?
    Hello Mr Smith

I realise that you posted this some years ago, but I have just come across it.
    My Henry Cuming of the 6th Inniskillens and also a Chelsea pensioner died in 1828 and is buried in St Mary's churchyard Truro. his headstone was raised by his employer, but I have not researched this.
    For a number of years I have been trying to track down Henry's Farther John Cuming Attorney at Law Armagh.

I do believe I have a transcript of the headstone, will need to look it out.

David

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Not heard from anyone, so for completeness here is the memorial inscription I have.

Memorial Inscription:- "Sacred/ to the /memory of/ Henry Cummins/ late of Enniskillan Dragoons/ who died on/ the 1st of November/ 1828/ aged 52/ He was for 15 years/ faithful and valued servant/ in the family of the person/ who inscribed/ this stone/ In his memory"

in St Mary's church yard.

Hello David
    Thank you for coming back and posting the full inscription for this man. Frederick Smith may have changed his email address and is no longer receiving notification of replies to his original post.
    Information on posts can be picked up years after it has been posted so it is not a wasted effort on your part. Thank you again
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs