Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mary Anne

Default TUDHOPE in Lesmahagow

Folks

I have a family of TUDHOPEs that I am following in Lesmahagow who emigrated to Canada in 1831 with a group of 50 who were with the Lesmahagow Emigration Society. (I have the names from some Colonial Office correspondence that resides here at Library and Archives Canada)

James TUDHOPE, b. 14 March 1784, Sains, Lesmahagow; in September 1811, m. Christian BROCKETT, b. 30 Jan 1795, Hetherfauld House, Lesmahagow
    and their children: Jean, Catherine, James, Margaret, Elizabeth, Janet, John, Jane, William

This has generated a couple of questions:

1) how do you pronounce Lesmahagow?

2) if I find locations such as "Hetherfauld House", "Sains" and "Sainsbridge End" are these likely in the town or are they somewhere outside the town and in the broader parish?

3) I am having trouble finding the births of most of the children on Scotlands People...the spelling of the surname seems to be an issue. Has anyone any strategies for searching?

4) apparently they came in 1831 and 1833 on a ship called the Commerce - anyone know anything about her? Passenger lists?

Finally, if you know anything else about this family, please contact me.

Thanks all, in advance, for your help.

Mary Anne

Mary Young

Lez-ma-HAY-go

joette

Surname search on SP you can use Soundex but I prefer to use the T*dh**e or other variations -there are not many on the OPRs but there are a few.

Mary Anne

Thank you, everyone! Much appreciated.

Mary Anne

Deano

Hello Mary Anne,

The surnames Tudhope, and Brockett, are not that popular in Scotland, and because you are looking at a early period ie 1800s. then its most likely there will be some strange variations to the names.

I dont know if you have the exact date of marriage of James, and Christian, to me this seems to be the nearest you will get.

James Tuttop, married Christian Brocket, 8/Sept/1811. Lanark, Lanark.

The only birth i can find is for George Tudehope, born 12/August/1812, Lesmahagow,Lanark to parents James Tudehope, and Christian Brockat.

These are from Scotlandspeople.

There is also a submission on the IGI. for the birth of a James Tudhope, 1784 Lesmahagow, Lanark, whos father is named George, and mother Catherine, its possible going by naming traditions this submission may be correct, but would need verification.

Regards,
    Jonn.

Mary Anne

Thank you so much, John. Yes, these are the only ones I found too.

I DID find the original one of the James Tudhope, s/o George and Catherine in Scotlands People, and all (or most!) of James' siblings, born in the 1770s and 1780s.

Variations in spelling and even in index -- Tuttop, Tutop, Tudehope, Tudehop and so forth!

But, so strange, still not finding James and Christian's own children. Ah, well, perhaps they will bite me when I am looking for someone else altogether!

Mary Anne

pedhope

ingeneas database has info on 1831 tudhopes just enter tudhope no given names

Mary Anne

Thanks, pedhope! Seems a trip to the Archives to see the Simcoe County Atlas may be in order!

Mary Anne

slippery

Mary Anne

There is a Tudhope Forum on: genforum.genealogy.com/tudhope/ (put https:// in front)
    Also there is a Thomas Brown searching for your family.

On the 1821 Lesmahagow Census James Tudehop and C Brocket living at Lesbridgend, there are 5 males and 3 females in the family.

Peter
    Last edited by Jan1954; 13-04-2010 at 5:17 PM. Reason: Url edited - Genforum is part of Ancestry

Mary Anne

Thank you, Peter, I'll have a look at the forum.

I had found them on the 1821 census, thank you.

Mary Anne

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast