Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Luscombe/Duncan marriage

I am looking for the marriage between Mary Luscombe and Henry Duncan.

Henry Duncan was a Captain in the Royal Navy at this time so this may have influenced where the marriage might have occurred. I estimate the marriage to have been around 1796

Any ideas?
    thanks
    daryl

Brick wall demolition expert!

Just reviewed the IGI with no result, as expected, because no doubt you had already looked. I thing did strike me, Duncans, all Scottish or Borders. Luscombes all Devon.

Devonport, Royal Navy dockyard. You need to get hold of his military record.

Wives went to sea in those days. My wife's many times gt Grandfather was born on the HMS Hibernia and baptized at Devonport when she docked.

He could have married at sea or by some military ceremony.

Loves to help with queries Pandad's Avatar

Not the marriage but an article that maybe related to your Captain Henry Duncan.

https://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/16456/pages/319

Seems a Duncan family were RN notables.

If you google Captain Henry Duncan you will find at least two notables. It may well be that neither are yours, but without more family detail I simply cannot tell.

Thanks Raffaele and Pandad
    The Henry Duncan to whom your postings refer is Captain the Honourable Sir Henry Duncan and who is related to my naval Duncans. I have quite a lot of information on the family but it is the one Henry Duncan whose birth and marriage escape me.

Alexander Duncan (1652-1696) m Anna Drummond
    George Duncan (1583-1723) m Helen Balfour
    Alexander Duncan (1709-?) m Isobel Crawford
    Henry Duncan (1738-1814) m Mary French
    Henry Duncan (c 1770-1801) m Mary Luscombe

Henry Duncan (1738-1814) was commissioner of the naval dockyards in Nova Scotia, had some of his diaries published in the Naval Miscellanies etc etc
    Henry Duncan (c 1770-1801) died when the Scout was lost off Newfoundland in November 1801

Alexander Duncan (1652-1696) m Anna Drummond
    Alexander Duncan (?-1719) m Isobel Murray
    Alexander Duncan (1703-1771) m Helen Haldane
    Adam Duncan (1731-1804) m Henrietta Dundas
    Henry Duncan (?-1735) m Mary Simson Crawford

Adam Duncan (1731-1804), Viscount, Camperdown etc
    Henry Duncan (?-1735) Captain The Honorable Sir Henry Duncan

I agree Raffaele I will have to find a way of accessing Henry's naval record. If nothing else his age might be given in one or more records so that I will be able to narrow down a birth date for him. Perhaps he took leave to marry and this may be recorded.
    The same for the other naval Duncans Henry Duncan (1738-1814), Henry Duncan (c 1770-1801) and his brother Arthur French Duncan
    thanks
    daryl

From those of us with ag labs, shpeherds and fishermen as our forebears, some family you have there. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffaele View Post
    From those of us with ag labs, shepherds and fishermen as our forebears, some family you have there. Good luck.
    Fear not Raffaele I have my share of ag labs, silk weavers, labourers etc too.
    The Duncans are probably my most illustrious line, but my Jewish ancestry (Naphtali Hart Myers, Rabbi Aaron Hart) also did well for themselves
    daryl

Henry Duncan was given leave in 1762 during which time he married Mary French.

I have not had any success at locating the marriage of their son Henry Duncan to Mary Luscombe c 1790s.
    Both Henrys Duncan were Captains in the Royal Navy. Perhaps the younger also took leave to marry.

The younger Henry Duncan was lost at sea in 1801 and his wife would have then been eligible for a widow's pension.

What Naval records (ADM???) need to be looked at for widows?

Have these records been filmed by the LDS?

If anyone is looking at such records in the same period could you please look out for Henry Duncan?

All questions, no answers, I'm afraid. Any assistance would be most welcome.
    daryl

Famous for offering help & advice sue2white's Avatar

Hi there
    I am interested in this thread, as I have a Samuel Luscombe b c1824 on my tree who was born in Devonport. His occupation was Mariner. He was the first husband of my 2x gt grandmother Caroline Farmer.
    On their marriage certificate, Samuel's father was stated as Henry Luscombe, rope-maker b c1791 Samuel also had a sister Charlotte b c1831.

I suspect they may be related to your Mary Luscombe. She may even be sister to Henry. Have you come across these Luscombes?

Sue

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast