Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    arnie

Default Looking for Eliza ELLIOTT (nee CHAMBERS)

Hi everyone
    I have come to a brickwall
    My Grandmother Eliza CHAMBERS (b 1888 Horwich) married James ELLIOTT (1911 in Horwich)
    They had 8 children between 1911 and 1927 including my Father Arnold (b 1922)
    I cannot find any record of Eliza's death, James died in 1927 age 50. At that time Eliza would have been only 39 with 5 children under 7 yrs, So could she have remarried out of financial security reasons???

I was adopted and have only recently found records of my birth parents (both deceased) I haven't managed to find any Elliott family members still living (I am pursuing that outside of BG.com)

If anyone has any ideas that could assist I would be most gratefull

Brian

Astoria

Default Hi Arnie

It's getting late here, but I will look at your problem in the morning, of course some night owl may well have solved it by then

arnie

Default Thanks Astoria

Many thanks I didn't realise the time difference, it's only early morning in Sydney
    Enjoy your Easter weekend
    Brian

v.wells

If you know her exact birthdate you can search the GRO death indexes by first name and b date on the post 1983 indexes. Marriages will be recorded under her maiden name and former married name. I'll have a quick look.

v.wells

Eliza Chambers/James Elliott m Bolton, Manchester, Lancs 1911 vol 8c p 910 3Q

v.wells

Went from 1928-1935

Chambers to Beresford - Mansfield 1929 7c 304 2Q
    Chambers to Neighburs - Strood 1929
    Chambers to Pringle- Gateshead 1932 2Q
    Cambers to Wainwright - Sheffield 1934 3Q

and last but not least

Chambers to Thomas J. Elliott - Thorne 1935 vol 9c 1256 1Q (His brother perhaps?)

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

Welcome to Brit-Gen forums Brian, lots of us Aussie here these days.

Any second marriage should be recorded in the GRO Index with her married name. Do you have James death certificate? does it confirm that she was still alive at that time? Have you been able to check burial records to see if Eliza is with or near him?

As she became older she may have moved out of the area to live with a married child.

Thanks for pursuing the possible living relatives off the forum
    ChristineR

arnie

Many Thanks to V Wells and Christine R
    I am awaiting James 's death certificate
    Would Eliza remarry using her maiden name of Chambers or her married name of Elliott??
    How does one check buriel records, the death certificate only records place and date of death??

Thanks once more
    The mystery continues
    Brian

v.wells

Search the GRO Index on ppv sites like A* or FMP. Marriage will most often be recorded under maiden name and married surnames.

Death certs provide vital information as to informant, where deceased lived, how died and if widow/widower/son/daughter and to whom. It will give approx. date of birth or exact if known.

Eliza would be registered under both names. See my post above re the remarriage to Thomas Elliott. I did cross check for Thomas Elliott and it only gives Chambers as a surname. It was up to the information given to the registrar as to what was recorded. I wouldn't rule this marriage out - it is too coincidental.

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by v.wells View Post
    .... Eliza would be registered under both names. See my post above re the remarriage to Thomas Elliott. I did cross check for Thomas Elliott and it only gives Chambers as a surname. It was up to the information given to the registrar as to what was recorded. I wouldn't rule this marriage out - it is too coincidental.
    The district of Thorne is in Yorkshire.
    v.wells is right when she says that the name would be recorded as told to the registrar. One would assume a widowed lady with five kids would use her married name, but one should not assume

However, I notice in the GRO index a birth a few years after the death of James - in 1931, Bolton, surname Elliott, mother Chambers.

To find the burial you would have to make enquires around the area where he died.
    ChristineR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast