Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ET in the USA

Default NZ Trade Directory or Electoral Roll ? - HELP please

My man, Septimus McClure, was married in Somerset 9 Aug 1906 & then did a runner. I have found him [or I should say SKS on the Australia forum have found him] in NZ in the "Auckland Weekly News for 20 Jan 1916" under "AUCKLANDERS FILLING SOUTHERN QUOTA FOR 11th REINFORCEMENTS ... McCLURE, Septimus – Manurewa" and again on the NZ Death entries for 1945.

Are there online Passenger Lists, Military records, trade directories, Electoral Rolls or telephone books ? If not, does anyone in NZ live near access to these & be willing to look ? Most I have found end 1900 or start 1960.

Also, does anyone know what the full name of the "11th" is ?

Elaine

Knowledgeable and helpful

Default A snippet for you

Hi Elaine

There are not many online sites in New Zealand, but passenger lists are either on 'findmypast' or Cyndi's lists to Australia and New Zealand

I have a copy of the New Zealand Society of Genealogists CD which has one entry for Septimus, as follows:

NZ Gazette, 1917, Page 2219
    Place - c/o Mrs Plant Elworth Brookby
    Occupation - Farm Hand
    Military Call-up
    Further enquiries to Main Centre Libraries

I suggest you contact the Auckland City Library to see if they can help with the above

Regards
    David

Not quite ten weeks' training, then he sailed for Egypt:

https://www.nzmr.org/lists/reinforce.html

The Reinforcements seem to be for Auckland Infantry Battalion.

This page may have something to help you:

https://www.nzhistory.net.nz/handsonh...enealogy-links

Dale

Smile From findmypast

Hi Elaine

I've just had a look at the passenger lists on findmy past and found the following:

Septimus McClure
    Departed from London bound for Wellington, New Zealand on the CORINTHIC (Shaw Savill Line) on 5 January 1911. The master was Capt F Hart.
    He is listed as a Labourer

David

ET in the USA

Thank you David & Dale. I appreciate your taking the time to search. Please let me know if you happen across anything else. With a name like Septimus McClure there can't be too wrong finds like there would be for Tom Jones.

Elaine

ET in the USA

Dale & David,

A quick update, I emailed NZDF Archives for possible military records.

Per reply received today, I seems that having your name in the paper doesn't mean that you actually served in the war. I thought it worth mentioning in case others are misled by what they see in "print".
    Elaine

SUBJECT: Septimus McCLURE
    Thank you for your enquiry.
    I am sorry to say that we have found no trace of any service records relating to the above named
    Having said that, there is an entry on the NZ Society of Genealogists First World War Database as follows:
    Surname MCCLURE
    Given Name Septimus
    Category First Reserves
    Last NZ Address C/- Mr Davieson Brookby near Manurewa Manukau
    Occupation Farm Hand
    Recruiting District Auckland

The NZ Government created the list of 'First Reserves' in September 1916. It included men, natural-born British Subjects, not less than 20 and under 46 years of age, who were unmarried, or who married since 1st May 1915 and had no child under 16 by a previous marriage, or who were widowers with no children under 16, or who were divorced or judicially separated from their wives and had no children under 16 years of age. Not all were subsequently called-up for service.
    The database was compiled from records held at Archives New Zealand in Wellington.
    Unfortunately, we hold no records concerning First Reservists who were not subsequently called up for service. As no trace of a military service record has been found relating to Septimus McCLURE we must presume that he was never formally attested, notwithstanding the Auckland Weekly News report.
    I am sorry that we could not be of more assistance on this occasion.
    Yours sincerely,
    Unquote

Hi Elaine

My interpretation of your last message is that Septimus volunteered for service but wasn't called-up. Is that your opinion?

Just out of coincidence I live 150 metres from a McClure Street in Pirongia. All our streets are named after explorers of the North West Passage (obviously not named after Septimus)

I'll keep my eyes open
    David

ET in the USA

Quote Originally Posted by David Tuson View Post
    Hi Elaine

My interpretation of your last message is that Septimus volunteered for service but wasn't called-up. Is that your opinion?

Just out of coincidence I live 150 metres from a McClure Street in Pirongia. All our streets are named after explorers of the North West Passage (obviously not named after Septimus)

I'll keep my eyes open
    David

David,

My thoughts on the reply were that the Govt. created a list of people they would call next [like a draft list] but that Septimus wasn't called [or he didn't pass the medical ?] so he never served even though he fit the criteria - being a natural born British subject between 20 & 46 & unmarried or separated from his wife with no children - and was listed in the newspaper.

BonnieLynn

Default Burial info for Septimus McClure

Septimus McClure was buried on 17 April 1945 in Plot DD-K-17 in the Hamilton East Cemetery, Hamilton, Waikato Region of New Zealand.

Quote Originally Posted by BonnieLynn View Post
    Septimus McClure was buried on 17 April 1945 in Plot DD-K-17 in the Hamilton East Cemetery, Hamilton, Waikato Region of New Zealand.
    I don't live very far from Hamilton so will try and get an opportunity (in the coming weeks) to check for a headstone in the Hamilton East Cemetery
    David

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast