Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    ET in the USA

Bonnielynn, thank you so much for finding that. I am still waiting for the death certificate to arrive. It should have been dispatched April 15 from NZ.

David, if there is a headstone, send me a PM & I'll send you my email address so you can send a photo if you have one. Otherwise, I assume you will just copy the MI. Thanks very much to all for helping out with this.

Elaine

Stuck in Bothell, WA, but wishing I could someday see New Zealand.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Question Cemetery

Hi Elaine

When I go to Hamilton (probably early May) I'll take my camera and send a picture of headstone (if it is there of course). Do you want me to let you know the result before you PM your email address?

David

ET in the USA

David,
    Check your PM's.

You might as well let everyone know the results also.

I received the Death cert. from NZ. Of course, the problem with a death cert. is that the person who really knows the answers to the questions is ... err... dead !

Whoever supplied the information didn't know the name or surname of the decease's father, but did state that the name of his mother was "Hilda McClure", maiden name "Carr" & that the profession of the father was "Doctor of Medicine". They also said he was married in Bristol, England at age 21, but nothing further about the wife/widow, & that he was born in London, England and had been in NZ 34 years.

This is close enough for me to be certain that I have the correct person. Actual facts - he was born in Woodstock District of Oxfordshire & his mother was named Annie Helene Carr & he married in Weston-super-Mare, Somerset at age 21.

I have 1911 passenger list record, so it is good to know that is correct. [1945 - 34 = 1911]

The next mystery is - Did he live with his wife from Aug 1906 to 1911 [without issue !] or did he leave her sooner ? Can find no trace of him in W-s-M directories, but will look again when there next year.

Thanks to all for your help.

Elaine

Knowledgeable and helpful

Unhappy Visited the cemetery

My wife and i went to the Hamilton East cemetery today armed with the map,plot details, camera, paper and pen (in case the headstone was badly faded). Unfortunately we couldn't find a headstone in the specified location - just bare grass between two other graves.
    We walked up and down all the rows (just in case we couldn't count properly) without success - sorry. The garden was marked DD and we were in row K and the bare plot was the 17th from the end.
    I'm sure the space was the right plot as many of the surrounding headstones had burials from the 1940s.
    I did however take a couple of photos of where the plot is and will email them to you tomorrow.
    David

ET in the USA

Thanks David. Not surprised that no one ponied up for a marker. He was a farm labourer [i.e. no money, perhaps], did a runner as a husband, never remarried & seemed an all around waste of space ! He had 1 brother [a Doctor] still living in England who could have afforded it, but may not have known, 2 brothers in Canada who may or not have been still living & a nephew & great nephew in England [both doctors] who probably never met him.

I'll be content with photo of NZ grass.

Elaine

nitamc

Electoral Roll search shows Septimus listed twice in 1919. Once in Franklin, Auckland Electorate ( McClure, Septimus, Brookby, Farmhand), also registered 1919 in Raglan, Waikato electorate (McClure, Septimus, c/0 Taupo, Pukekawa PO, farmhand). No other McClures at either location. Next record for Septimis McClure is in 1935, Box 26 A, Tirau, farmhand, again no other McClures listed.

A fountain of knowledge

NZ City Directories 1866-1955 are currently being keyed by volunteers under Ancestry's World Archives Project. The raw images are currently on Ancestry for browsing only, i.e. you can't search by name until the indexers finish. If you don't have a sub but work on the project, you'll get free access when it's complete, but be warned -- there are about 600 names to type per image!

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Septimus McClure

Hi Elaine, I live in New Zealand. Septimus was the younger brother of my grandfather's sister's husband, Randolph McClure (Randolph married Margaret Marr, my grandfather was Robert Marr). As I think you know, Randolph and Margaret married and emigrated straight away to Canada, settling in Saskatchewan. I believe Septimus' wife remarried to Percival Porter in Bristol in 1917. Septimus did basically live as a vagabond in NZ, although getting occasional work on farms as a labourer as has been said. My grandfather's mother and half-brother and half-sisters also emigrated to NZ in 1911 after my grandfather came here in 1909. Septimus would turn up at their farm at Brookby, South Auckland from time to time and they would feed, bath and re-clothe him. They also paid for his burial. The death notice published in the Auckland newspaper "New Zealand Herald" on 17 April 1945 read, "McClure - on April 15, 1945, at Hamilton Hospital, Septimus, beloved seventh son of the late Dr and Mrs McClure, of Chesterfield, England; aged 60 years. A service will be held at Scrimshaw's Chapel at 12 noon today (Tuesday), funeral then leaving for the Hamilton Cemetery." As has been said, there is no headstone. You say he did a runner - I have no other information but I wondered if there was a reason for you to say that. I would be interested in any information you have gathered about him yourself - I wondered if he couldn't control his alcohol, or was perhaps just impotent. I look forward to your response. Regards, Bruce.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12