Thread: O'Brien & Hayes

SuzTemple

Post O'Brien & Hayes

Kennedy O'Brien & Catherine Hayes had 3 children in County Limerick
    Thomas abt 1837
    Mary abt 1840
    Catherine abt 1844.

All three children came out as adults to Australia.
    Thomas remained single we believe and died 50yrs in Benalla Victoria
    Mary married William Skelton - no children and died in her sister Catherine's home in Melbourne.
    Catherine my line married Donald McDonald avery stoic Methodist based on his will.
    Catherine died in California Gully which is in same area that Mary and Thomas had lived and she was the last to die.

Mary was my gem I thought for her certificate of death revealed she was born in Gortnaski in Parish of Boher or Maher in Limerick. From this I believe the unanglicized version would be born in Gorteenska, Limerick.

I did purchase two certificates for marriages for Kennedy OBrien but alas wrong Bride.

If anyone is connected to this family I would love to share the journey of if anyone knows more of family at all I grateful for crumbs. Like babes in the woods the trail of crumbs the ancestors left seems to have been eaten over time.

Suzanne

Knowledgeable and helpful

Hi Suzanne,

We do have Hayes people on my hubby's side but I haven't delved into his family tree yet - so far his Irish ancestors are much trickier to find than mine - although I know 20th century ones lived in Limerick.

There are many different spellings of Gortnaskea which include Gortnaskeagh, Gortnaskeha, Gortnaskey. The name means "field of the sceachs or whitethorn bushes".
    Browneyes

SuzTemple

Wink Hayes are a bit hazy here too

Thanks for reassuring me I am not the only one banging my head against a brick wall.
    It would have been lovely to find all three of the OBriens came out on the one ship but with their very Irish names being so common amongst the single immigrants it would take me years to find them.

I figure when they decide to come up for air I might have a chance to grab one of them then. In the meantime they can continue their phantom existence.
    It was so lovely to find Irish and Scots with names attuned to their homelands and then you realize the joke is on you.
    We have fun finding them but I reckon they have soo much more fun watching us stuff up.

Happy hunting Brown Eyes and everyone.
    From sunny Queensland
    Suz

Knowledgeable and helpful

I suspect some of them went underground where the Leprechauns play...
    Browneyes