Thread: Fell or Fayle

lynnelay

Default Fell or Fayle

Hi

It is a long time since i looked at this line in my tree but here I am again picking your very useful brains.
    When Jane (Fell) Godsoe remaried in west derby 1861 her father was given as Paul FELL farmer. I also know her mother was Isabella STEVENSON She was born in the Isle of Man (about 1815) but I cannot trace her birth details or her manx family going back from that date. I would very much like to do this as my older brother tells me that when we hollidayed there in the late 40s and 50 s my parents used to meet up with a relative.
    I think she may have come from BRADDEN

I am sure someone out there will know of a grave or marriage/ christening that will help me.

Please do your magic as you are so good at these things
    Regards Lynne

Jan1954

Hello Lynne,

Not a direct reply to your question, I'm afraid, but have you seen this 1825 Pigot's Isle of Man Directory?

If your people were living on the island at the time, it could well povide some background to their locations and may even mention them.

Hugh Thompson

Hi Lynne, you might find something in this book at the Internet Archives address below.
    Hugh.
    Memorials of "God's Acre", Being Monumental Inscriptions in the Isle of Man, taken in the summer of 1797.By John Feltham & Edward Wright.

https://www.archive.org/stream/memorialsgodsac00harrgoog

lynnelay

Smile

I've looked at the on line resourse you mentioned, but to no avail. Thanks for the info though it might be useful another time.
    I will also consider buying the book but will have to wait for next month.
    Thanks again muchly appreciated
    Lynne

lynnelay

Very late , I know, but I have just sent an order off for the Pigot's directory Thanks

georgiep

For the genies, I hope this helps.
    1871 census Jane Godsel 54 married bn IOM looks like Caryl St in Tockie Park
    Robt 22 cashier? Eleanor 14 scholar both bn Lpool.
    A member of Anc has changed the surname to Godsoe
    1861 Jane 43 Godsoe bn IOM is listed as widow? boarding house keeper Tox Park
    Jane jr dressmaker 18, Catherine 15, Richard 13, Ada 8, Eleanor 4.
    I'm sure our poster has all this info.
    GeorgieP

georgiep

Lancs BMD have the marriage in 1861 with Jane Fell with an asterisk which means she had been married before.
    The marriage was to George Gaddarn?? She is listed as Jane Fell and also Jane Godsoe..
    All listed at St John the Baptist Tockie Park.
    Georgiep

pippycat

Lynne

Have you come across - manxnotebook?

Google it, there is all sorts of info with mention of Fayle/Fell/Stevenson names - especially under Braddan Wills.

Amongst others:
    Elizabeth Fayle als Kewley died 29 Oct 1771
    6 ch. John, Thos, Mary, Elizth, Cath + Isabel
    all ua (whatever that means!) uncles Thos and Patrick Kewley
    husb John inv. 1799
    Philip Quayle h/o of Elizth
    Alex McClure h/o Cath
    Patk Crain h/o Mary
    Nicholas Christian h/o of Isabel

(site does explain about these 'Summary Wills' and also if there is a full copy to be found)

Piggots 1823 Directory - listed under Braddan

Fayle, Thos Esq. Ballig

If you haven't already seen this site, (seems to cover most all IOM areas) then its well worth spending a few hours looking through it!

Rebecca

lynnelay

Thanks to ALL of you. It was me that changed the families name on Anc to Godsoe. I have spent hours looking at manx note book and I am off to that Isle on Sept 15th to see what I can find. I love old grave yards!!

lynnelay

Hi, I've just returned from a very lovely 5 days on the Isle of Man. With the great help of the sexton, Angus Kelly, we located my Great x3 grand parents' grave in Malew grave yard and got photos of the lovely Celtic churches they were baptised and married in. I can recomment a visit to any one with ties out there. Lynne
    Ps Pigot's Directory for IOM 1825 was no used to me , but if anyone would like me to do s look up, just let me know.
    Last edited by lynnelay; 21-09-2013 at 1:33 PM. Reason: ps