Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    o breen

Smile

Well Ladkyis,
    hehe,' the flashing smiles and soft lilting accent indeed! we have our fair share of those here right enough,and those that fit that description and who have a stage/acting background[ or none] are sometimes called collectively "abbey actors" its a dubious title to lay on anyone though as its meaning is that they are of a" chancy"nature or are false in their "nicety"ways!on the other hand you're
    ancestors sense of humour and sharp wit accompanied by those "flashing eyes"is a sure sign of irish charm etc',those would be the blue flashing variety of course, if you listen to the accent of [sir]michael gambon who was born and reared in Inchicore,dublin in the
    part of headmaster of hogwarts/harry potter[ and the halfblood prince] the author j.k.rowling asked him to speak as though he were at home[ie dublin]and that [for me] is the best example of a true or natural dublin accent, covering your ancestors time too perhaps,the late donal mccann[born terenure] played a blinder in james joyce's" the dead "with anjelica huston,directed by her dad,john huston.neither of these actors portrayals would be considered as "abbey acting"[although they both began on their careers on its stage,amongst many others in dublin especially]lol!enjoy the accents,shouldnt be difficult to find gambon/potter,and if you never read,or saw[ the huston version of it] the dead is a great short story from joyce's dubliners book of short stories,best wishes ,o breen.
    Last edited by o breen; 11-01-2011 at 2:04 AM. Reason: typos

My Dad inherited his dark eyes from his Maternal Jewish Grandmother and the charm and goodhumour from both the Maternal Irish Grandfather and the Pembrokeshire born paternal Grandfather - who with the surname GIBBON probably has Irish ancestry. If we could only get back beyond 1807 with that line, ah well.

One day we are intending to visit Dublin just to walk those streets.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

o breen

Quote Originally Posted by Ladkyis View Post
    My Dad inherited his dark eyes from his Maternal Jewish Grandmother and the charm and goodhumour from both the Maternal Irish Grandfather and the Pembrokeshire born paternal Grandfather - who with the surname GIBBON probably has Irish ancestry. If we could only get back beyond 1807 with that line, ah well.

One day we are intending to visit Dublin just to walk those streets.

Well what a mixture!Gibbon/s and Given/s are north western variations on an old irish name for sure and those [sligo/donegal]regions were points of emigration for the U.S.and U.K.[ports of sligo/derry]in the 1800s by the way i forgot to mention that "the dead" is set in early 1900s in dublin so it is well depicted in the film version filmed along the quays in dublin along where progress has now seen modern structures take over a once mainly georgian view so huston's movie is a window on the past.regards o'breen
    PS.Dublin is a great place to visit but v.expensive [compares to london!]so an april/may or sept./october trip is advisable good news is that it has been getting less costly for accomodation but food n drink well diff.story !avoid taxi's too

o breen

I have just found a sister for my paternal grandmother that no one has ever mentioned before. I have been able to confirm that she was born 24 November 1880 at 17 Queens Square Dublin. I tried Google earth but that took me to Dun Laoghaire and Queens Road so I think the square might be re-named.
    Anyone have any ideas?
    hi ladkyis,
    some theatre play/hand/bills etc of the era,hope you enjoy!..ó breen
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/nlireland/5096257652/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/nlireland/4705832398/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/nlireland/4923962976/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/nlireland/4571878933/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/nlireland/4566058503/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/nlireland/4546060908/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/nlireland/4334515463/
    footnotes on the opening night poster of abbey theatre link:
    "Poster advertising the historic first performances at the Abbey Theatre. This poster is one of the highlights of our extensive Joseph Holloway Theatre Collection of playbills, posters, and programmes dating from ca. 1880-1944. The collection covers the printed output of 200 theatre companies, professional and amateur dramatic groups, and also includes cinema and concert programmes, newspaper cuttings of reviews, etc.

An architect by day, Joseph Holloway redesigned the Abbey Theatre for its opening in 1904. By night, he attended every theatrical performance in Dublin, and was a member of every society connected with theatre in the city."

this collection at the national library of ireland [url]Poster advertising the historic first performances at the Abbey Theatre. This poster is one of the highlights of our extensive Joseph Holloway Theatre Collection of playbills, posters, and programmes dating from ca. 1880-1944. The collection covers the printed output of 200 theatre companies, professional and amateur dramatic groups, and also includes cinema and concert programmes, newspaper cuttings of reviews, etc.

An architect by day, Joseph Holloway redesigned the Abbey Theatre for its opening in 1904. By night, he attended every theatrical performance in Dublin, and was a member of every society connected with theatre in the city.
    https://www.nli.ie/en/udlist/prints-and-drawings-collections.aspx?article=1a4f20f4-39bf-47b7-8634-dcd468ef2dde
    [might bear fruit in your search,fingers crossed]
    Last edited by o breen; 22-02-2011 at 6:06 AM. Reason: add.info.

Thank you for that. They are all fascinating.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.

o breen

Thank you for that. They are all fascinating.
    Hi L,
    You are very welcome.hope you can unearth more from the links.

That is truely amazing! I know they played the Gaiety theatre and the Theatre Royal because I have copies of the reviews from The Stage and The Era.
    I think I remember something about the Queens Theatre too.

You are so kind to take the time to give me this, thank you so much. Now I have a better picture of them in Dublin in the 1880s and 1890s
    My ancestors also lived on Queens Square and I have been building my family tree. I came across a substantial newspaper article on "Queens Square, Story of its rise and decline" by W.J.Lawrence (Saturday Herald, December 21st 1912 Page 8) it includes a grainy photo of the Square. Beside the article is another story "The Dublin Stage , Next week at the theatres. includes some photos of the actors and actresses.
    https://archive.irishnewsarchive.com/...panel=document

undefined
    Last edited by paddyfields; 10-04-2018 at 1:19 PM. Reason: delete post

I started to reply yesterday and my computer froze, totally froze. I ended up pulling the plug and after two attempts to reboot I went to bed before I put my boot through the screen. Then I sneezed and did something painful to a muscle in my side and forgot about everything else until now.
    The pain has subsided and I can breathe without sobbing so here is what I was going to say yesterday.
    Even when I save the image and then enlarge it I can't read it because it is so obscure. I would love to read it but I am not prepared to fork out the money required by the website so I will have to remain ignorant.

Thank you for thinking of me and taking the time to try and let me see the page.

Thank you paddyfields for giving the time to sending me the whole article. I am just about to sit and read it through.

OH my goodness! the very last bit that begins "... The saddest memory of all," tells of the transportation of the mortal remains of Mr Charles Sullivan, from No 45 Queen Square, to his final resting place. My Great grandparents were part of Mr Charles Sullivan's Irish Theatre Company. They went from there to another compnay and I wondered what had caused their departure - now I know!

This is just wonderful! Thank you so much

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast