Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

I have a copy of a record of a James MacKay of the 71st Regiment of Foot marrying Christian Stewart
    Marriage
    06 Apr 1784 • Perth, Perthshire, Scotland

mckayda

Default Hi Tom,

Quote Originally Posted by tpbiii View Post
    I got that date from a document called "Descendants of David McKay and Janet McPherson, Jordan Area" published by the Shelburne County Genealogical Society. That source references a letter detailing the the family history written by David himself (on the letterhead of his son Curtis McKay LLB, Yarmouth) in answer to a query from Rev G. R. McKean (minister at United Church, Shelburne). The same data can also be found in the 1871 census (David McKay died Dec 7, 1877), and in the pamplet by Marion Robertson caslled "The Family of Donald McKay -- The McKays and McPhersons." As already noted in this forum, David's wife Janet (McPherson) was the sister of the wife of Hugh MacKay (note spelling variation), Ann (McPherson) -- who were the parents of the famous Donald MacKay, the shipbuilder. So we are related to the famous Donald McKay not through the MacKay/McKay connection (as far as I know), but through the McPherson sisters.

Best,

-Tom
    Sorry to resurrect this so much after the original post, but if I recall my Aunt Peggy's story's correctly I believe the letter you reference was likely written by David MacPherson McKay, son of David and Janet, who was Curtis' father. Curtis was my Grandfather; he named his son David MacPherson McKay after his own father.

Don't apologise - some threads get regularly revived!
    Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Folks
    Well this is a long shot. My ellusive McKay is Peter McKay b 1798-9 supposedly in upper Canada, He married a Martha Carpenter b 1808 in NY state. I believe the Carpenters were a loyalist family. Peter & Martha married in Canada I believe around Haldimand County Ontario. He petitioned for land in 1835 Beverly Township Wentworth County Ontario Canada. As of 1861 census they lived in Sombra Lambton Ontario Canada & their children were born there.
    I am trying to find the parents of Peter McKay. Someone posted on Ancestry that his father is Francis David McKay from Thurso. Looking at the naming patterns of Peter's children & Peter's religious affiliation I do not think that is correct.
    Children of Peter McKay & Martha Carpenter:
    Mathew Walter McKay b 1826 m Catherine MacDonald b Stornoway Scotland
    Cyrus b 1839
    Victoria b 1848
    Martha Ann b 1851 married #1 Cramer #2 Cadman moved to Port Huron MI
    Elizabeth b 1859
    Margaret b 1841 married a Boothe
    jane

Do any of these names ring a bell with any one researching McKay's

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen M. Kohler View Post
    Inez,
    Dear Inez,
    Let me begin by saying “Hi Cuz”! You are not a McKay from Shelburne without being a McKay from Thurso. It’s that simple. All the New England McKay families know this! Now if we could only teach this to the Caithness and Sutherland McKay families we’d be in the genealogy business rather than just playing at it.

It’s the name McKay, err rather the name MacKay - There is a disparity in the loyalties felt to the English. Some McKay(s) were loyalist to the crown. Many MacKay(s) were loyal to the Rea MacKay. Who was loyal to the crown of Denmark and Sweden. Nobody with a last name like MacKay living in Caithness and Sutherland today is going to admit relations to a McKay living in Canada or the US today because of this fact. What’s sad is that most McKays in Canada and the US did not drop the first “a” in their name until after the beginning of the Twentieth Century. So, no one knows anyone’s loyalties anymore anyway!

My great grandmother was Margaret Janet “Jane” McKay. Are we tracking?

I’ll take a look at William Curry McKay and see where he fits in to my family and share back the information. Don't change your name back to MacKay!

Sincerely,

Stephen
    Hi I have MacKay's from Sutherland who were crofters, but I have not been able to go back very far in tracing the family tree. It would be great to get some help.
    Kind regards
    Geordielad70

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718