Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Marie C..

Oh dear. There is an Elizabeth Barefield christened in Titchmarsh in 1792 parents Thomas and mary.
    sorry ! see you have already found her... So she married William Asher did she and Elizabeth C married Lyon

imogen

No.....George Bayfield Asher was William's son (Lyon's brother)....so he is probably the one (if anyone) with the connection.....unless Lyon & William married women who were related to one another.

I've got friends on the spot who've been through the Titchmarsh/Nottingham records & haven't been able to find a marriage for Lyon & Betsy Whoever......so maybe they never got married (although the records for Nottingham St Mary's, for example, are incomplete.

Sorry.....I seem to have confused you with the Josephs. Lyon was just Lyon, not Lyon Joseph. There were 2 Joseph Ashers....one was the one I originally thought to be a brother of Lyon's (living round the corner, born at about the right time), but who turned out to have been born in Leicestershire (as you say, MAYBE a branch of the family that moved over earlier) The other Joseph Asher was Lyon's son

On a more general point re researching family trees, it struck me yesterday that it's easy to be blinkered. I still think it likely that Lyon was Jewish (at least when he first arrived....he may have converted to Christianity), but, as you say, his children's names could just as well reflect a preference for Biblical names. I'm a direct descendant of Lyon's (born an Asher) & none of my family, as far back as I knew, were Jewish. And I think that one is very careful not to say "No, I don't think he was Jewish) in case it seems as though one would find it a bad thing .....which is not the case at all, but it shows how attitudes can be coloured.

Thanks for all your help....but, please, I don't want to cause anyone any work

imogen

Don't know if Elizabeth Barefield married William....it's a calculated guess. It seems likely to me that, as Lyon's first son was Alfred Bradley Asher, his wife must have had some connections with the Bradleys. But I can't find an Elizabeth Bradley from Titchmarsh) SO (& I know this is conjecture), maybe William married another Barefield (not Elizabeth) & named his son George Bayfield (ie Barefield) & Lyon married her sister, Elizabeth.....William had already taken George Bayfield's name for his son, so Lyon took Alfred Bailey (maybe the name of Elizabeth's mother's father).....but it's getting tangled.

But Alfred Bailey certainly stands out from the names of Lyon's other children

imogen

Have looked through the Barefield births in Titchmarsh & Elizabeth is the only one recorded in the appropriate years. So that would seem to rule out William & Lyon marrying Barefield sisters

imogen

Sorry....I mean Elizabeth is the only female recorded

imogen

If Lyon was a practising Jew when he arrived in Nottingham, it seems as though he abandoned the religion. Can't do links butjgsgb.org.uk/1851/18 will take you to a database of the Jewish Genealogical Society based on the 1851 census. Neither Lyon nor any of his children are listed there.

Marie C..

Hi Imogen,
    Had to clean house so just caught up with you.
    There was only one Bradley that i could find in Titchmarsh... Robert but lots of Bradleys in Nottingham.
    John and sarah Asher had (possibly twins... or they may have been siblings baptised together) Thomas Asher and Alfred Asher baptised 12 July 1874 Saint Peter.
    If William and Lyon were brothers then where was William Born? Why weren't they both born Germany. They were recent newcomers to Nottingham, ie no sign of them there in 15/16 hundreds.
    I will go look at the Jewish site.
    Who was William and Lyon's father. Was it Joseph?
    Sandy! we need you. M

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12