Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mutley

I've been reading your messages about the location of Red Cross Street. I recently found the marriage record of my great grandparents. They were married in 1879 at St. George's Roman Catholic Church (now St. George's Cathedral) which is situated on Lambeth Road on the corner with St. George's Road. At the time of their marriage both my ggrandparents lived on Red Cross Court, one at #6, the other at #19. It would be interesting to know if Red Cross Street and the Red Cross Court are one and the same. I have looked at the map on page 2 and could not find anything Red Cross. Can anyone answer that query for me?

Reputation beyond repute

It would be interesting to know if Red Cross Street and the Red Cross Court are one and the same.
    No they are distinct. You will find them listed separately on census returns.

Redcross was sometimes shown as one word, sometimes as two. The LCC street list uses "Redcross".

Redcross Street became Redcross Way. You can find it on a current map (use SE1 1HQ if you have trouble locating the road).

Redcross Court was off Redcross Street (as Courts usually are). It was roughly where the school is today east of Redcross Way and north of Little Dorrit Court.

Thanks for the info Peter. I couldn't find it on the map here so I googled another one and found Redcross Way and Little Dorrit Court. Of course, I should have realized that Redcross Court would be off Redcross Street. We have a few like that in the town I live in. In the search for my ancestors I'm finding out a lot of new things geographically and its so very interesting.

paul searing

Default Red Cross Street

Hi

I have a photograph which I took of Red cross street from a map which was held at records office it has a good view or the area late 1800's I will try and find it and post it.

thanks

Paul

A fountain of knowledge

These link to a late 19th C map of the area:-

https://maps.nls.uk/view/101201652

https://maps.nls.uk/view/101201652#zo...3203&layers=BT

the second is zoomed in on Red Cross Place. I can't see a Red Cross Court, But names did mutate over time and this map is 50 years later than the date originally mentioned.

Reputation beyond repute

I meant to say, but forgot, that Redcross Court was at some point renamed Redcross Place.

You can read Charles Booth's notebook pages (from his poverty survey) relating to Redcross Place here...

https://booth.lse.ac.uk/cgi-bin/do.pl...s=b363,100,120

There are two images to look at.

Modern maps - streetmap.co.uk is good for locating streets. Bing maps has got a birdseye view which is useful to get a feel for the area.

When using a search engine bear in mind that there used to be another Redcross Street in St Giles Cripplegate (in the City).

1872 London Map https://london1872.com/stanford36b.htm

Tab to east side and and south of river and look for Guy's Hospital inked in green. Red Cross Court (off Red Cross Street) marked west of Borough High Str.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Thanks Peter, macwil and helachau for all the info plus the maps about Redcross Street/Redcross Court/Place. When the time comes, I don't think I'd have a hard time finding my way. It's always easier when you have a clear picture of where you're going.

paul searing

hope this works ok

here is the map which shows Red Cross Street, it was taken at he records office in Kew It is a pretty good pic though I say it myself and that it helps to located some info for this thread.

Paul
    undefined

undefined

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12