Knowledgeable and helpful

Question Captain overboard

This doesn’t seem as if it will fit in to any of the topics, so this is the most appropriate place I can find – if a moderator can think of somewhere better (other than the trashcan!) would they please move it.

At last I seem to have discovered what happened to my first cousin once-removed, Alexander Harry Birks. It’s not exactly a success story, though, as he appears to have committed suicide by going overboard from the ship S.S. Tivives, of which he was captain, in April 1927. I found, by searching on the ship’s name, a report in the New York Times archive, which mentioned that he had gone missing two days out from New York en route for Kingston, Jamaica. A second report in May 1927 has his name as Briggs, and tells of passengers finding signs (that it was suicide) after he vanished.

Copies of the articles cost $3.95 – I think that’s about £2.80 at the moment (correct me if I’m wrong!), so I may buy them.

I’m wondering, though, can anyone tell me where his death would be recorded? He was originally English, born in Gloucestershire in 1883, but he and his wife emigrated to America in 1910 and became American citizens in 1917.

Thanks

Angry

I am so frustrated!!!

I want to buy the articles from the New York Times site but it won't let me register - there's something wrong with it so I've emailed for help and got one of those automatic replies...

Am hoping a real person might read my message and get back to me.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Squaredancer
    I’m wondering, though, can anyone tell me where his death would be recorded? He was originally English, born in Gloucestershire in 1883, but he and his wife emigrated to America in 1910 and became American citizens in 1917.
    Being American and on an American ship, there will be no record in the UK.

I know that America has USGenweb - which is their version of GENUKI - I don't know if it specifically contains information about where to locate sources but you might have a browse of the site.

Many thanks! Will give it a go.

Angry

Just had a reply from the New York Times and I am well cheesed off! They happily say that they can register me for free access to the site, but the bits I want are some that have to be paid for, and they say “Please be aware that we only accept US credit cards for any purchase on NYTimes.com.” How maddening is that!!! And they’re turning away money! My MasterCard is valid worldwide, so I can’t see any good reason for them not to accept it.

I shall never be able to read the articles now.

re the suggestion that I try the USGenweb site – I had a look, and I’m sure it would be useful if my relative had died in one of the American states, but I can’t find any kind of index or details of deaths at sea. Does anyone know if one exists? Or would two days out at sea from New York be “too far out” for American records, and if so, where would the death be registered? Not being able to read the New York Times articles, I don’t even know if the body was ever found.

Seems I’ve got a big here, and it’s not even my relative’s fault!

AnnieB5051

You could try looking for reports in the Lloyd's List - the newspaper that reported maritime movements around the world. I know there's a complete set at the National Maritime Museum, and possibly a set at the Guildhall Library in London. They would probably do a search for you, but they'd also charge you for the privilege.

Anne

Default A sad post-script...

Thanks for the suggestion. I haven't a clue where else to look!

To up-date a little - I think now that Alexander didn't commit suicide, as I found a site (another one that I can't get access to ) which mentioned a court case between his widow and his employers United Fruit Co. There was a vague suggestion that some of the crew might have thrown him overboard