Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

To answer the questions regarding whether Isabella Agate is a Mrs and whether the records state Isabella or an I...his army records state her as Mrs Isabella Agate and her address as Brunswich Place, Hove Sussex and then on later records as 43 Lansdowne Place, Hove Sussex. He also states a next of kin as a cousin, Miss W.K.Sutton with the address 6 2nd Avenue Sumerstrand Port Elizabeth.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

just thought of something else the period that he could have travelled to South Africa would be limited as he finished his schooling in 1935 and started his job at Woolworths the same year. The year end would be August so he would have had to travel to South Africa between then and January 1st 1936. That is quite a limited period of time so should be easier when limiting search to that timeframe.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I realize I have made a mistake, the school year would have ended earlier before the Summer holiday to return to start of school year in August September so it is a wider time frame that he could have left for South Africa. So perhaps between June and January 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by MC Evans View Post

1933 Montpeliar college certificate issued moves to Imperial Service College (renamed Haileybury)

1935 Certificate senior Haileybury College
    This is the link to the contact addresses for Haileybury College. Have you ever contacted them to see what records they hold and how far back they go?

What was/is the address of the Montpelier you refer to?

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Quote Originally Posted by MC Evans View Post

There is an identity number on his death certificate (he died at 48 years old so I never meet him)but we can seem to connect it to anything. It is 245/639269.W.
    Could this number be his identity number which will give you the date he entered S. Africa.
    See here https://www.identitynumber.org/immigrated.php It is pay per view but could help.

I found the above site by using Cyndi's List here

Click on Categories in left column then on S.

Christina
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you Christina I will try and let you know what I find.

So another player in this scenario, W K Sutton a cousin. Thinking that an Agate may have married a Sutton I went looking for a marriage which produced one only.
    Marjorie W(inifred) Agate to William S Sutton registration district Horsham. Sussex March 1/4 1919. her parents Charles Agate and Elizabeth Jane Taylor.
    However I can't see an Isabella in this family. This would be assuming that Isabella was born an Agate and called herself a widow to appear more 'presentable' to society.

Of course she may be a Sutton and there are 3 or so to choose from in Lancashire alone in 1887 =/-2. The very close one is Isabella Sutton Dec 1/4 1887 (which fits with a birth 20 Sept 1887) registration district Fylde, however no middle initial C.
    No Isabella Suttons born in Sussex between 1837 and 1896 and no marriages between an Agate and a Sutton other than the one mentioned above.
    My head is starting to spin because of all the possibilities.
    I will wait to see if you get any joy from the Immigration list or the Schools.

Christina
    William Burroughs

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345