Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    sindylin

Default AGATE Family of Warnham/Horsham Sussex

In particular Michael, Stephen, John, Anne, Florence and Emily. From 1750-1960's

Aparently they were an "important" family at some point but can't find out why.

Stephen was a timber merchant and Michael a shoe maker, thats all I know.

thanks
    sindylin
    Last edited by Guest; 21-08-2009 at 10:15 AM. Reason: omission

Jan1954

The 1851 Post Office Directory for Warnham has:

Agate, Stephen & Son, farmers & timber merchants
    Agate, John, farmer
    Agate, John, shopkeeper & shoemaker

Kelly's Directory for 1909 has:

Agate, Stephen, farmer & threshing machine proprietor, Farthings Farm & 5 North Street, Horsham

I hope that this helps a little.

sindylin

Hi Jan

I had found one of those listings and thanks for the other.

I am trying ascertain who they were as I read somehwere that they were an "Important" family..... and whether there are any descendants about!

there are Agates all over Sussex and I can't work out how many lines there are and who are relvant to me.

thanks
    sindylin

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi

A John Agate was a lord of the manor, or at least Gentry in the 1850s and 1860s in Slaugham alongside Warden Sergison.

Ben

stickymone

Hi Sindylin,

The Agates are a very well known family in the Horsham area. J & S Agates Ltd were large Timber Merchants formed in the early 1800s in Warnham. They had premises in North Street and were still trading in the 1980s. I even recall buying timber from them. In fact the company still exists, their Head Office is in the London Road Horsham, I believe they are involved in property now.

I would regard them as an important family as they were a major employer in the timber business, felling and stripping timber was big business in the area due to the amount of woodland around Horsham.

If you want more info why not give Horsham Museum a call they have a big archive and are very friendly,

Stickymone

sindylin

Stickymone,

Thanks for the info, I will give Horsham Museum a call, or even a visit!

Thanks Finbar and everyone else too, your help is very much appreciated.

I know one of my lot married Anne, the daughter of Stephen Agate, in fact it was she who died of Phthisis in 1871.

As far as I can work out Stephen had two brothers, John, who he went into the timber business with and Michael who was a shoemaker. Michael's daughter Emily then married Anne's widowed husband two years after Anne died!

However, there are so many Agates...I need to know for sure!

sindylin

Holdfast

Default Agate Descendants

Quote Originally Posted by sindylin View Post

I am trying ascertain who they were as I read somehwere that they were an "Important" family..... and whether there are any descendants about!
    I am a descendant of John AGATE and Rebecca STANFORD.

They lived at Chaldon Court in about 1827. The Agate's were Yeoman and held highly regarded positions in the community around Horsham and Warnham in West Sussex. They were Baptists and records of their early years is difficult to find. John Caffyn's book "Sussex Believer" is written about the Baptists of Sussex and has many references to the Agate family. The family tree in this book dates from the 1600’s ends in 1827 with the death of William Agate. It is from this point that the connection with Chaldon Court begins for John AGATE and Rebecca STANFORD.

Thanks
    Adrian Willoughby

sindylin

Thank you for that info Adrian.

I haven't delved into the Agates that much, but two generations of my lot married into various Agate lines. There were so many of them around in West Sussex with the same names it would be easy to "bark up the wrong tree"

One was Elizabeth Agate, she was born on 26 October 1797 in Cuckfield. She married my 3 x great grandfather Simeon Shaw on 8 Feb 1821 at Warnham I am guessing the parish church.

They had two children, William and Caleb. Simeon wasn't a Baptist as he had both boys baptised in 1826 at the Independant Chapel in Horsham. this was after Elizabeth's death c1823 and he also had his other son with 2nd wife Ann baptised at the same time. Baptists don't beleive in child Baptism do they.

I have been trying to find her death/burial details, I am thinking that she died in or soon after childbirth to Caleb in October 1823 and she was definately deceased by the time Simeon married Ann in 1825.

Simeon and Elizabeth's son Caleb then went on to marry two Agate girls who were cousins as far as I can work out:-

Anne in 1861 at the Parish Church, Warnham and who's father was Stephen Agate a Timber merchant
    and
    Emily in 1872 at the Independant Chapel in horsham and who's father was Michael Agate, a shoemaker.

As far as I can ascertain, Stephen and Michael were brothers and sons of John Agate and Anne King.

Do any of these names ring a bell?

thanks
    Sindylin

stickymone

Hi Sindylin,

I don't know if you have seen this site I found it purely by chance https://www.westsussexpast.org/gateway/default.aspx

I've just put your Agate into the search box and got over 100 hits, worth a look.

Stickymone

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi

My ancestor was Thomas Agate born in 1704 in Nuthurst son of Thomas and Elizabeth Agate. He seems to have fathered my 5xgreat grandfather in 1771 and is named in a bastardy bond. Thomas died in 1794.

Ben

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast