Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    sindylin

Hello Frances

There seem to be many Agate families in the Horsham and Warnham areas.

I am wondering if you might be related to Ruth Agate? She would be about 70 or so now. She had two children called Stephen and Susan who used to go to St Matthews School in Redhill when I did. Stephen and Susan would be in their 40's now. I remember one day walking home from school she said that we were related as she was a descendant of Elizabeth Agate, my GGG grandfather Simeon Shaw's first wife.

Also with regards to the Agates, I have two more who married into the Shaw side of my family, the first as I said was Elizabeth, then there was their son Caleb Shaw who married two Agates, Ann an Emily who as far as I can work out were cousins. They lived in and around Warnham and Horsham in the time span you mention.

Be interested to know if any of these above names ring any bells.

sindylin

Frances144

No, none of those names ring a bell.

My father is John Patrick Barclay Agate and his mother is Grace Sneddon (1907-1990) and father William Brooke Agate (1887-1969).

William's father is, I think, William Agate (b1847) and mother is Grace Brooke (1857-1941).

John Agate (1922-1902) is William Agate's father and Mary Anne H ? (b1826) was his mother.

So is Stephen Agate (b1796) John's father?
    and is Sarah (b1786) John's mother? There is some discrepancy over birthdates in records which makes me wonder if he is the same person.

Oh the muddle!

You should see the other side of my family. They are all Sandemanians and they all married each other all the time. My head is spinning.

Anywho, the family firm is J & S Agate, the timber yard and my sister has the family Bible but I can't get hold of her at the moment!

This is all very fascinating.

sindylin

Hello again, just uploaded the family tree on the laptop rahter than rely on memory and it would appear that:-

Caleb Shaw's 2nd wife, Ann Agate was the daughter of Stephen Agate and Sarah (no surname) Ann was born in Warnham on 23 Nov 1824. Caleb and Ann had a farm in Westcott, Dorking and one son Walter.

Caleb's 3rd wife Emily Agate was the daughter of Michael Agate (born in 1802, parents John Agate and Anne King) and Harriet Mann. Emily was born in 1837 and died in 1921. She had two brothers, Stephen and Albert.

I was under the impression that Stephen (snr) and Michael were brothers, therefore making Caleb's two wives, cousins.

They also have a connection with the firm J&S Agate. I am sure that Stephen Jnr (Emily's brother was the S in J&S)

I would be interested to see what the family bible says!!

Sindylin

Frances144

So would I. I will try to track it down and then be in touch with all the informaiton in it. A cousin (now deceased) put it together.

Thanks for your information.

Fascinating isn't it?

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Frances144
    John Agate (1922-1902) is William Agate's father and Mary Anne H ? (b1826) was his mother.

So is Stephen Agate (b1796) John's father?
    and is Sarah (b1786) John's mother?
    I think you need to access the census records for yourself (it is available via several pay-per-view sites) to confirm the suggested links in my last message. I can post details of census returns, but they are just my view of what appears to be correct - and I may have missed something. Certificates to confirm links are also essential.

The trail I followed leads back to the 1841 census - this contains less accurate detail and information than later census returns. It does not include relationships, precise birthplaces and also ages of those over 15 were supposed to be rounded down to the nearest 5 years.

The 1841 census for Warnham shows
    HO107/109/7 f12 p16 (reference to census held at TNA)
    Stephen AGATE, 45, farmer
    Sarah Agate, 45
    John 15, Henry 15 (Wheelwright's apprentice), Ann 15, Alfred 14, Agness 12, Elizabeth 10, Albert 7, Stephen 3, James 1.
    All born in county.

Documentsonline has severals wills for AGATE in Sussex, inlcuding one for a John AGATE of Warnham who died 1803 - possibly somethng to consider in time?

Frances144

Ok, my sister kindly went up to her attic and brought down the family Bible.

She has sent me the information so when I receive it, I will let you have what I find out.

She also very kindly typed out this:-

Stephen Agate was born October 1st 1792 died September 11th 1878
    Sarah King was born April 7th 1796 died April 27th 1842

Stephen Agate and Sarah King were married October 2nd 1820

John Agate was born August 10th 1821
    Henry Agate was born December 17th 1822 died July 8th 1857
    Anne Agate was born November 23rd 1824 died 10th December 1871
    Alfred Agate was born Sept 8th 1826
    Agnes Agate was born July 6th 1828
    Walter Agate was born August 31st 1829 died Nov 21 1838
    Elizabeth Agate was born April 1st 1831
    Albert Agate was born June? 10th 1834
    Mary Agate was born March 3rd 1836 died Septebmer 28th 1838
    Stephen Agate was born Jan? 6th 1838
    ? Agate was born April 11th 1840 died Nov 14th 1841

John Agate was born 10th Aug 1821
    Mary Ann Harding Bowen 5th July 1825
    and were married at Croydon 6th Nov 1844

Willliam Agate was born 21st August 1846
    John Frederick Agate born 19th March 1854
    Marianne Augusta Louise Maud Agate 29th March 1868

Grace Brooke born 9th July 1852

William Agate
    Grace Brooke married St Stephens Church, Shepherds Bush July 6th 1883

Nora Marion Agate born 11th July 1884 died Sept 14 1966
    John William Coleman Agate 12/ 17? March 1886 (difficult to read!)
    William Brooke Agate 13 Sept 1887

William Agate died May 18th 1915

Frances144

Sindylin, can you please contact me on frances AT fstaylor DOT co DOT uk

I have lots more information now on Agates if you are interested including Caleb Shaw.

Thanks
    Frances
    Last edited by Jan1954; 20-01-2010 at 7:06 PM. Reason: Email address edited to try to foil the spammers

sindylin

Hi Frances,

Have sent you an email!

thanks
    Lin

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Morning

I am looking for my grandfather, Douglas Charles Agate, born in 1916 inManchester to a Mrs Isabella Agate. Her address given was Hove, Sussex. Have you come across anything in your Agate family search?

Welcome to the British Genealogy forums MCEvans
    There is an Isabella C Agate Widow born 20 Sept 1887 on the 1939 register living at 17A Brunswick Place Hove Sussex. She is a catering Manager. The residence could be a boarding house. There is no-one of the same name at that address.
    There is no birth registered on the GRO index for a Douglas Charles Agate anywhere in England and Wales 1910-1920. Do you have a birth certificate for him? Who does his marriage certificate give as his father's name?
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast