mentorscotus

Default John Daly Coatdyke born Armagh

Now it seems that my grandfather John Daly,Royal Irish Fusiliers no 13236,may have in fact survived WW1 and returned home.Anyone who can shed light on his service,his return etc will be putting me on the right track at last.Thank you all.

Rob Cameron

You may have this information. He is mentioned in the book "Coatbridge and the Great War" 13236 Private John Daley 6th battalion Royal Irish Fusiliers.. 16 East Stewart St. Coatbridge.
    Cheers Rob.

mentorscotus

Red face John Daly/Daley Coatdyke

Thanks Rob,
    I had come across this information before, which indicated he did in fact return. Many thanks for your post just the same. After that there is nothing at all on his life.I have looked everywhere that is open to research but John Daly/Daley seems not to be anywhere at all such as BMD records etc. That's family research for you...sometimes a clue comes out of the blue after many years...sometimes a new record gets opened up and low and behold all is clear. Sadly I am still searching for grandfather John.It was kind of you to post.This is how I made progress with other relatives. Good luck with your own searches.
    Mentorscotus

pippycat

I notice a similar question on another forum where it mentions a brother Luke and Allegheny County - no guarantee who this is, but Find a Grave have this burial:
    Luke Daly 1881-1945
    Buried section 17
    All Saints Braddock Catholic Cemetery, Pittsburgh, Allegheny Co. Pennsylvania
    Also in section 17 is Elizabeth 1892-1970...and a couple of other Daly names in same Cemetery, different sections.

Might be worth you contacting the person who posted the info on Find a Grave to see if they have more info on the family.
    - I've struck lucky a few times doing that!

Ancestry have passenger list:

Luke Daly, age 40 (c1883) Armagh, Ireland. Steel Dresser. Married.
    Nearest relative: wife Elizabeth Daly of 6b Dunbeth Rd, Coatbridge
    final destination: Beverley, Mass.
    His Sister paid for the ticket.
    Luke not been in US before.

Sister: Helen McKeirnan
    195 Hale Street, Beverly, Boston, Mass.

Luke intends to become permanent resident of USA.
    Depart: Glasgow on ship "California" 25 Aug 1923
    Arrive: New York 2 Sept 1923

- maybe wife Elizabeth followed later, but I can't spot her yet.

Rebecca

Rob Cameron

MS. I am sure you are aware of the site Great War Forum 1914 1918. There is a chap on there doing an ARMAGH Project Might be worth a try.

Aye Rob

mentorscotus

Default re John Daly/Daley..thanks both

I am grateful to you both. Pippycat I knew that Luke Daly, my grandfather Johns brother went to Allegheny with his wife Elizabeth and sons Luke and Joe both of whom served in the U.S. ARMY. They are now deceased and I have tried using the Allagheny papers to trace any relation but to no avail....now here is the exciting bit you put down a sister Helen .She was called Ellen in the birth record .She originally worked at Dobbs Ferry New York .You seem to have her here...so a big thanks to you. Do you know who runs the Find a Grave pages? I haven't used that before. Also thank you Rob .I hadn't heard about the Armagh Project so I am quite excited about that ...it may bring up information on John.

pippycat

"Helen" does actually change to Ellen after that passenger list!

1920 US fed census: 195 Hale Street, Beverly Ward.

Simon McKeirnan 1868 Ireland. Butler to private family. Immigration: 1892/Naturalised 1900. His parents both born Ireland.
    wife: Ellen 1973 Ireland. Immigration: 1893 or 1895/Naturalised 1900. Both parents born Ireland.
    dau: Kathleen H 1894 New York. Stenographer in Broker? Office
    son: Francis 1903 New York.
    George Mack a lodger. 1855 Mass. single. Mason? for housebuilder.

Living next door at No. 193

John Daly 1870. born Ireland. Immigration year 1890. Parents born Ireland. Cannot read his occupation.
    wife: Anna T 1868 Ireland. Immigration year 1890. Parents born Ireland.

1930 US census - same address (they own the house) is only Ellen and Kathleen H.
    still next door is John "Galey" (image reads Daley) now a widow. Immigration: 1892 occupation is Steel something, and he is not employed.

There are various Directories for Simon and Ellen - although Simon dies 16 May 1924.
    eg:
    1924 195 Hale Street.
    Simon (Ellen) McKiernan. Butler
    Kathleen H bkkpr
    Francis, Student.

1925 - same address
    Ellen widow Simon
    Eneas S (Rose)
    Francis
    Kathleen H bkkpr 24 Federal (whatever that means!)

If you want the other Directory listings I've found, just let me know.

Find a Grave - if you google that, it will bring up the site where you can check for any name they have listed.
    ...so you should find Luke Daly if you enter his name, death year 1945 and State of Pennsylvania into their search box.

This link may work!

https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...202373&df=all&

At the bottom is the name of the person who submitted this record to Find a Grave....you can contact him by clicking his name....bear in mind that sometimes these people are not ancestors of the family.

Rebecca

Forgot to mention:
    do you know about Pennsylvania USGenweb ? - click the 'Archives project search' entry, as there may be something of interest amongst there for you.
    Last edited by pippycat; 11-01-2014 at 12:54 PM. Reason: added info

pippycat

I took my own advice and had a look at Pennsylvania USGenweb!

Just put Daly surname in search box and among the many results found this for starters:

Listed in the newspaper obits, Pittsburg Press dated 8 June 1889

Anna Daly, age 35 Widow died 7 June 1889 at Mercy Hospital. Hemiplegia and exhaustion at Johnstown.
    Born Scotland, burial St Mary's Cemetery 9 June 1889.

There was a disastrous flood in the area June 1889, plenty of info about it out there, but basically a Dam burst high in the valley and the resulting "over 20 foot" tide of water came down the mountain to wash away Johnstown completely...tragic so many people killed.

There is another snippet of info:
    Mrs Annie Daily, one of Johnstown refugees brought into Mercy Hospial early yesterday morning has become demented from the loss of her only son...making 4 now in the hospital in the same condition.

In Notes:
    Census records suggest Anna was wife of Hugh Daly and had 2 children Francis/Frank and Mary Ann. Census places her close to 50 yrs at time of death.
    Johnstown Flood Museum sources note that Frank also perished in the flood and their name is recorded as Daily.
    Same sources also suggest that Frank and Ann are buried in Lower Yoder Catholic Cemetery in Cambria County. PA.

So some info slightly at odds here and also with 1920 census for Anna with a husband John - maybe 2 different Daly/Daily families?

Another entry for a Mrs L Daly aged about 48, afflicted with pneumonia who also died at Mercy Hospital.

Find a Grave have Ann Daily no birth date, died 31 May 1889 buried at St Columbas Cemetery, Johnstown, Cambria County. Victim of Johnstown Flood. Lived Locust Street.
    Also with her is Frank, age 30.
    Something different again!

Rebecca

mentorscotus

Default Daly .....thank you

Dear Rebecca, Many thanks for that information. I am certain Ellen/Helen ,is the oldest sister of Luke and my grandfather John. I will certainly look at the Find A grave site and see if the informant knows anything . I am unsure of the other Dalys...but I know often they lived near aunts, uncles and cousins wherever they went, so will investigate that possible link. I cannot thank you enough for this link to granddads Brothers family, God bless. Kathleen.