Starting to feel at home

Question doctor charles joseph sabelberg

can somebody point me in the right direction please? i am looking for the above doctors medical school (were he qualified) his mb was obtained in 1893 and his chb in melbourne australia,in 1901 ,he is listed in loxton"s directory in 1911 , the very helpful,medical researcher who passed on this imformation to me suggested i look in government gazettes,at present i have had no luck, reading various, online material i have since learnt that quiet a number of medical students went abroad to england scotland ireland ,etc,a bit long winded, but the imformation i seek is were he gained his m.b,any help appreciated ,david

Procat

Hi David,

Ancestry has UK Medical Registers, 1859-1959 online.

They state:

"This database contains annually published books listing all of the names of doctors who were licensed to practise in the United Kingdom and abroad from 1859-1959. Also included are foreign doctors who qualified in Britain. Although these books were published annually, registers have only been digitised on 4 year intervals.

Although these books were published annually, registers have only been digitised on 4 year intervals. In addition to names, the registers also list each doctor’s residence, qualification, and date of registration."

He does not appear in these registers.

I can only suggest that you would need to find Australian medical directories for the time. I suspect your researcher would have tried here though.

Jade26

Hi David

You may already have this, but if not it's probably worth following up.

The National Archives of Australia - https://www.naa.gov.au/collection/rec...rch/index.aspx

There are 38 Sabelbergs listed and one of the records, in fact the first one that came up, is a report on Dr. Sabelberg Port Melbourne. Unfortunately this one has not yet been digitised, but it is on open access and is held in the Melbourne Archives office. If you can't visit in person, you may be able to order a copy by mail, but not sure of the cost.

Depending upon how detailed the report turns out to be you may find out from this where he originally qualified.

Have you also considered contacting the Universities of Melbourne, Sydney and Adelaide to check whether they have any archives on medical students from the 1890's to early 1900's?

Good luck - Trish

Starting to feel at home

Wink thank you in regards to charlie sabelberg

Quote Originally Posted by david walker View Post
    can somebody point me in the right direction please? i am looking for the above doctors medical school (were he qualified) his mb was obtained in 1893 and his chb in melbourne australia,in 1901 ,he is listed in loxton"s directory in 1911 , the very helpful,medical researcher who passed on this imformation to me suggested i look in government gazettes,at present i have had no luck, reading various, online material i have since learnt that quiet a number of medical students went abroad to england scotland ireland ,etc,a bit long winded, but the imformation i seek is were he gained his m.b,any help appreciated ,david
    thank you procat and jade 26 for the reasearch and imformation regarding charles sabelberg, it has made it easier in relation to were to look for him , i did see his file listed in the naa,and i think it could be worth the 25 or 26 dollars to get his file , i found some interesting ,reading looking through a relatives file and who was his medical examiner,the above , thank you regards david

Nannas

Hi,
    I know this is from ages ago but was wondering how you went..
    His mb was in Melbourne also..

Nannas

Starting to feel at home

Hi Nannas, sorry ,its been a while since i looked in on this subscription, i received Dr Sabelberg's file from the Naa , a very interesting read, it did leave me in suspense, with some of the content , but i will have to wait for now, looking up another ancestor,at the moment , but i will get back to researching the doctor, regards david