Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    pamelaann

Default The London Lunatic Asylum, Dartford,Kent

Hello, I am new to this forum but already I have been given some info that might be of help to me. I have been researching for over 4 years now, I find it really interesting and am completely hooked on it. Just want to keep going.The problem I am having is finding my Gt.Grandmother Ellen Mason (Rex) I was told by my grandmother that her mother was put into a mental inst. at the time grandma was told her mother had died this was approx.1900 grandma was about 8years. Years later she found out that her mother had been put into a mental inst.I traced Ellen on the 1901 census in The London Lunatic Asylum, Dartford,Kent. after that nothing. I found 1 burial for 1903 in Kent in the name of Mason no first name and no age, I have queried this and have been told that these details would have been withheld as this person would have died in an institution. Where do I go from here? Could they have transferred her to another inst. who holds these records.N.A said they may have them but have not stated that they do hold them. Is there a way I can search these records online I seem to be banging my head against a brick wall. It is so frustrating.

Pam101

Hope you find these links of interest / use:

https://www.countyasylums.com/mentalasylums/london.htm

https://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/...ad.php?t=12458

Scroll down about 1/6th of distance to City of London Mental Hospital
    https://www.mdx.ac.uk/WWW/STUDY/4_13_TA.htm#Stone

Procat

Hi Pamelaann,

I have split these two posts off your introduce yourself posting to give them a thread of their own.

This may lead to you getting more responses.

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by pamelaann View Post
    I found 1 burial for 1903 in Kent in the name of Mason no first name and no age, I have queried this and have been told that these details would have been withheld as this person would have died in an institution.

Can you explain what that means please? Where did you find it? Where in Kent was it? Who did you ask?

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by pamelaann View Post
    Could they have transferred her to another inst.

Why do you think she was transferred? Do you have her death certificate?

The London County Asylum on Dartford Heath later became Bexley Hospital.

https://www.bexleyhospital.co.uk/history.html

Records of the Asylum are at the London Metropolitan Archives.

David Benson

I used to live in Dartford and there were 3 main mental Hospitals in the area, and also a few smaller units situated within hospitals.
    Bexley Hospital, on the outskirts of Dartford, was assosiated with the London area mostly. I think this would be the one you are looking for.
    Stone House, situated in the parish of Stone, near Dartford.
    Darenth Park is another, again on the outskirts near to Darenth and not far from Stone House.
    During my previous life as a TV engineer (when pictures were Black & White) I've been in all of them - not as a patient, but to repair the broken TV sets - often smashed onto the floor if someone didn't like the program.

Reputation beyond repute

Yes indeed. Stone was the City of London Lunatic Asylum.

For those not familiar with our quirky ways, the City of London and the County of London are not to be confused!

pamelaann

Default Citl of London Lunatic Asylum

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    Why do you think she was transferred? Do you have her death certificate?

The London County Asylum on Dartford Heath later became Bexley Hospital.

https://www.bexleyhospital.co.uk/history.html

Records of the Asylum are at the London Metropolitan Archives.
    I think she mat have been transferred not sure though. Grandma said she found documents in 1912 when her father died, that is the first time she knew her mother was in an asylum, she said she went to see her, she said she tried to get her released and wrote to the authorities, but to no avail, in 1914 she went again and her mother was gone and although she tried to trace her there was nothing, and that was the last she ever knew. I canot trace a death, absolutely nothing, wihch makes me think maybe she was moved out of Kent.

pamelaann

Default Burials

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    Can you explain what that means please? Where did you find it? Where in Kent was it? Who did you ask?
    I found the burial on Find my Past, April 1903 Sheppey Cemetery

Reputation beyond repute

When I called up findmypast I saw an MASON with no forename buried in 1902.

I'm afraid I'm not going to use one of my credits to look at it. You could check the register for yourself.

More to the point, if you think the inmate in 1901 was yours, your best plan is to get to the London Metropolitan Archives and do some research. The Admission & Discharge Register should be a good place to start. I can't find the catalogue entry online so you may want to contact them before travelling.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast