Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    pamelaann

Quote Originally Posted by Pam101 View Post
    Hi pamelaann

I'm a bit confused

I've had a look at the 1901 census and found the Masons in the London County Asylum in Dartford. Ellen Mason, 16, is single and obviously too young.

There are 2 x female E. Mason:

Aged 46, married, laundress, born London

Aged 28, married, wife of costermonger, born Exeter, Devon

Do you have a birth date and birthplace for your Gt Gran, and do they fit one of the above? If we can establish a birth year, we should be able to trace the death. (Fingers crossed!)
    The E Mason, born Exeter, Devon is the correct one. Her birth date is approx.1871.

pamelaann

Smile London Lunatic Asylum

Thanks to all of you for the help you are giving me regarding my Gt.Grandmother Ellen Mason,I am very grateful to all of you. I have posted the information requested and I hope it will be of help.

Pam101

I've been through Ellen Mason deaths between 1901 and 1912 on a* and FreeBMD and have found only 2 that seem to be the right age when they died, but not in Kent:

Jan-Mar 1902 age 29 Barnet 3a 207

Jan-Mar 1904 age 31 Whitehaven 10b 471

There's a Mary Ann Mason aged 69 showing in Oct-Dec 1903 in Sheppey

Can't find any Masons of the right age and sex in 1902

And now I can't think of anything else to help Sorry!

pamelaann

Smile London Lunatic Asylum

Hello Pam 101, thankyou for looking. The problems you have had are exactly the same as mine. No trace anywhere, but there must be some kind of records somewhere. It is so easy to find her on the 1901 census that I waited eagerly for the 1911 census to be released and spent quite a large amount of money searching but to no avail. I feel that if she is not to be found on the 1911 census then she must have died between 1901 to 1911 and maybe the lady that grandma visited was an E Mason but not the right one. I have been unable to even trace a marriage for Frederick and Ellen, only marriage for him in 1903 to Hannah, I know this is correct as I have just a small threads of information that liked them, but nothing to link him to my Gr.Grandma marriage wise at all. I do thank you for your help and happy hunting to you.

Mutley

In the 1891 census which I am sure you have seen Ellen Rex is a visitor and Frederick Mason the Head of the Household.
    Frederick says he is 30, born Holborn and married. He is a house keeper.
    Ellen says she is 20 born Exeter and single

They are living in Shoreditch.

Who is Frederick married to at this point in time?

I cannot see a marriage for Frederick and Ellen after 1891, several for a Fred but none to an Ellen. Is it possible they did not get married to each other and Ellen married someone else and her death was registered under that name?

Although what is curious is that in 1901 in Shoreditch
    is a Frederick Mason he is a coachman's groom age 45 and living with an Ellen Mason, his wife age 32. With them is a 17 year old daughter Mary, all born Shoreditch. Obviously not yours because dates and Ellen's place of birth is wrong but just weird that we have two couples of the same names and no marriage for either.

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by pamelaann View Post
    there must be some kind of records somewhere.
    As explained above, the records of the asylum where you say she was in 1901 are at the London Metropolitan Archives. This is surely the way forward.

pamelaann

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    In the 1891 census which I am sure you have seen Ellen Rex is a visitor and Frederick Mason the Head of the Household.
    Frederick says he is 30, born Holborn and married. He is a house keeper.
    Ellen says she is 20 born Exeter and single

They are living in Shoreditch.

Who is Frederick married to at this point in time?

I cannot see a marriage for Frederick and Ellen after 1891, several for a Fred but none to an Ellen. Is it possible they did not get married to each other and Ellen married someone else and her death was registered under that name?

Although what is curious is that in 1901 in Shoreditch
    is a Frederick Mason he is a coachman's groom age 45 and living with an Ellen Mason, his wife age 32. With them is a 17 year old daughter Mary, all born Shoreditch. Obviously not yours because dates and Ellen's place of birth is wrong but just weird that we have two couples of the same names and no marriage for either.
    Yes I have seen both of these entries. I do not know who he was maqrried to before, on his marriage cert.in 1903 to Hannah Mould it states widower. Ellen was with him on the 1891 census, in 1894 my grandmother was born, both names on the birth cert.but like you cannot find a marriage. A second child was born in approx.1897, but he was killed at the age of 3 by one of my Gt.Grandfathers horse and carts, itlooks like housekeeper on the census but it is actually horsekeeper. That fits in with the other census as far as occupation, but birth places and dates of birth do not fit in. On the 1891 census Ellen was born in Exeter, Devon. 1901 census E Mason in Lunatic Asylum born Exeter, Devon. Definitely got to be same person under his name but not married. Also on the 1901 census he is living with Hannah stated to be his wife on the census but did not marry for another 2 years, also my grandmother is there with them in Islington. I think he was an absolute rogue from the little bit of information I have found out. Where his wife is on the 1891 census I have no idea, grandma told me that one of his wives jumped from Blackfriars Bridge (maybe that was her) and that is why he states widower on his marriage cert.in1903, never married my gt.grandmother just sent her crazy. Goodness it does sound dreadful. Thanks for your help. I think probably the only way is to go to the records office and search, trouble is I live quite a long way from there, that is why I was hoping to find something on line. Have a good day and once again THANKYOU.

Pam101

What a fascinating tale, pamelaann. I do hope you manage to untangle all the threads and I'd love to hear the end when you get there. Good luck!

Porcelayne Ladye

Question London Lunatic Asylum

I really think the only way you will be able to sort this out is to see The London Lunatic Aylum Admissions Registers. Hopefully it will give more details and throw moe light on Ellen.
    That is what I would do.
    Ellen Rex Born Exeter 1870 there were only 2 in Exeter for that period of time/
    an Ellen Rex was daughter of William and Emma Rex living in Exeter 1871 Census states she is one years old.
    1881 Census William and Emma daugter born 1870 now put down as Nell (0bviously a pet name)
    1891 Census William and Emma Rex living without their children at 7 Tabor Road Hammersmith
    1901 Census William and Emma living with their son Harry and daughter in law Georgina at
    West Street Reading
    My father was their fourth child and he arrived 3 years later.
    The family had lived in Exeter from 18th century leaving for London between 1881 and 1891.

The family had links with London from 1853 when Ellens eldest brother was born. But kept going back to Exeter. In 1881 her older brothers and siser were living in various parts of London as boarders. Whilst their parents William and Emma still in Exeter.

I have tracked the boys up to 1901 Census with exception of one. Had not married or died maybe emigrated.

I would dearly love to see a copy of Ethels birth certificate.

As there were only 2 Ellen's born in 1870 in Exeter maybe she is my gt grandfathers daughter

I know she is not the other Ellen as she was at home with her parents in Devon un married aged 20.

She was daughter of William and Ellen William was the father of William and father in law of Emma.

He was 65 when Ellen B was born and still making babies when he was 83, The mind boggles.
    how many 38 year olds now a days would make babies with their husband at that age.

Well I hope this does not sound too confusing. But I have known about all the above for many years.

Love to hear your comments.

porcelayne ladye

ps How on earth can we confirm E Mason in the Lunatic Asylum was in fact Ellen Mason nee Rex. If it was not for the birth certificate for Ethel in 1893 I might have thought Ellen was like her brothrs had left Exeter and was purely a boarder living in London.

What do you think???????

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default EM found?

Hi, I know it's an old thread but i the OP is still out there I think I might have found her for you.

In 1911 inmates at Stone were only known by their initials.

I have found an E M b. 1872 Exeter, female, married on the familsearch index- nb I have not looked at the image.

It is difficult to find inmates under their initials! But this looks like a good possible match for your ggm. My grandmother was a nurse there from 1910 and I have been doing some research on her colleagues and patients- hence knowing that you wouldn't find ggm by looking for her surname. This would match her being alive in 1912. There aren't any other EM patients from Exeter that I can see- although some have no place of birth. Good luck

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast