Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by pamelaann View Post
    I think she mat have been transferred not sure though. Grandma said she found documents in 1912 when her father died, that is the first time she knew her mother was in an asylum, she said she went to see her, she said she tried to get her released and wrote to the authorities, but to no avail, in 1914 she went again and her mother was gone and although she tried to trace her there was nothing, and that was the last she ever knew. I canot trace a death, absolutely nothing, wihch makes me think maybe she was moved out of Kent.
    Sorry, I seem to have become rather confused.
    If Grandma went to see her mother in 1912 and again went in 1914 why are you looking at a 1902/03 burial?

Do you have the reference for the 1901 census so we could look?

pamelaann

Default London Lunatic Asylum

Sorry,it is confusing. I am grabbbing at straws with the 1902 burial, my cousins and myself are a bit confused over it as well (always have been) I was obviously looking for deaths or burials for Mason and as that was the only one I could find it seemed a maybe, you see my Gt.,Grandfather Frederick James Mason married again at the end of April 1902, on the marriage cert.he states he is a widower and that tied in with this death in Kent earlier that month. We know that grandma told us she went to see her mother in 1912 but she herself really seemed very confused over everything, she said that she travelled to Northumberland about her mother at some stage to a mental home there, but we think she was confused about where she travelled to. In the 1901 census she is living with her father and stepmother, it states mother on the census but it was not, as I have stated he did not marry this woman until 1902, grandma was not well educated and did get things and places wrong, she would never talk too much about her childhood. I will look up the reference for 1901 census and post it. Thankyou so much for all your help.When I first started searching for her it was very difficult as all the info I had was that she was put into a mental home when grandma was small, I did not even have a name of any kind, and it took much searching and several birth certificates to find the right one as the certificate grandma had was not the correct one and the completely wrong family, so this really has been an uphill struggle. On the 1911 census her mother, father and brother had moved from London to Reading and that is where they died. On 1901 census they had moved fromDevon to London. I have probably confused you as well now.

Mutley

Just a tad

I'll have a look when you post the reference.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Hi
    My 2x gt uncle died in Chartham Asylum (not to be confused with Chatham) in 1896 after a short illness following a breakdown his full name is indexed for his death registration. He was actually buried at the asylum and not in the local church even though his family ie wife and children lived there.
    I was able to obtain his records for the asylum as they had been transferred from the NHS to the record office locally. If you cant find a burial but have a rough idea of the death it may be worth trying to find out where the records for this hospital are. I did pay for the information one I established he had been in the hospital.
    Best Wishes
    Jane
    ps the hospital records make heartbreaking reading.

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Jane Gee View Post
    it may be worth trying to find out where the records for this hospital are.
    It is known. See messages 7 and 10.

Hi again
    If you go into google Index of lunatic Asylums and Mental Hosps- and look for London you will see your hospital and it tells you where the records are kept ie The City of london RO and London Metropolitan Archives.
    This is an excellent website for anyone with ancestry links to these type of records etc. If she was in this hospital I would expect some record hopefully to have survived.
    Hope this helps.
    Best Wishes
    jane

Sorry did try to help.
    Jane

Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by Jane Gee View Post
    Hi
    it may be worth trying to find out where the records for this hospital are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    It is known. See messages 7 and 10.

Or is it?
    Post 12 seems to throw some more confusion into the pot regarding the location of the hospital

Quote Originally Posted by pamelaann View Post
    We know that grandma told us she went to see her mother in 1912 but she herself really seemed very confused over everything, she said that she travelled to Northumberland about her mother at some stage to a mental home there, but we think she was confused about where she travelled to.

Pam101

Hi pamelaann

I'm a bit confused

I've had a look at the 1901 census and found the Masons in the London County Asylum in Dartford. Ellen Mason, 16, is single and obviously too young.

There are 2 x female E. Mason:

Aged 46, married, laundress, born London

Aged 28, married, wife of costermonger, born Exeter, Devon

Do you have a birth date and birthplace for your Gt Gran, and do they fit one of the above? If we can establish a birth year, we should be able to trace the death. (Fingers crossed!)

pamelaann

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    Just a tad

I'll have a look when you post the reference.
    Hello, Ref.is Page 29 RG13/704.Ellen Rex, wife of costermonger born Exeter Devon.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast