tjyuk

Default Jabez Smith b1813 Winchelsea Sussex England

I am trying to locate the parents of the above. I have located his baptisim on LDS site that states Parents John & Mary. I also have a copy of the baptisim entry that ststes his fathers occupation was a Glazier.

I thought that I had it all wrapped up as parents John Smith & Mary Prior, but have recently been informed that this John Smith was a Ag Lab from a member of genesreunited & that they were also from Bexhill & never left the area.

I am unsure that the above could have moved into a Plumbing Painter, Glazier as listed in Pigots 1832 & 1839 directory @ 66 George Street Hastings.

So now I am completley stuck so any help would be very much appreciated.

Kind regards
    Tracey

Jan1954

Hello Tracey,

I have just had a look at the christening entry for Jabez on the IGI. If you are referring to the one that says 12 December 1813 in Winchelsea with parents John Smith and Mary Prior, then treat it with caution. It is member submitted, rather than extracted from the parish records.

The records on the IGI should only ever be used as a guide. Please have a look at this sticky for more information.

tjyuk

Jan

Many thanks for the air of caution. I then obtained an actual copy of the baptisim entry. The dates do match with the LDS but I can confirm that the entry is infact incorrect. So I ended up going down the completley wrong track. So now I verify everythibng, I will not be caught out again.

Regards
    Tracey

LEON62

I am also looking for the same. It would appear that Jabez Smith is my great great grandfather I have recently discovered. Any further info would be much appreciated. From his son's Birth Certificate (Wallace Peter Smith) he is documented as a Painter and Glazier residing at No 2 Burdett Place Hastings in 1846.