sparky

Default Power/Finn, Aghada, Co. Cork

My gt.grandfather Cornelius Power was born 1839 in Aghada (parents Patrick Power (Seaman) and Joanna Finn. He was the seventh and last child. According to his marriage certificate in 1866 his father was already dead by that date. Joanna Power is in the Griffiths Valuation of 1851. I have the parish records including the marriage of Patrick and Joanna but have been trying to find a reputable researcher to bring me forward to the present day in Aghada. The family was still there in 1936 when my grandparents visited. I have possible marriages for some of the six siblings of Cornelius but nothing definite. My grandparents came back with some fanciful stories but nothing that helps me.

Summer

Hi Sparky - nice name!
    It was nice to see a post about a place so close to where I'm looking!! My husband (a Lynch) is from Ballycotton, probably only about 10 miles from Aghada! We have a "joke" in our family about a Mr "Jack Sh!t from Aghada" who seems to know it all!!!

Have you tried the Irish Family History Foundation (or Mallow Heritage Centre)?? They have online indexes to lookup for free but a view at a specific record will cost 5Euro which is steep. Good Luck!

Cheers,
    Summer.

Loves to help with queries

Hi Sparky
    If you know the address they were at in 1936 why not try the Irish phone directory https://www.eircomphonebook.ie/search.ds to see if family are still there and get in touch. It does give one Power residential number in Aghada.
    Also you may find it useful to leave a message on the curiousfox site titled say Power/Finn Aghada so anyone else looking can get in touch with you.

Regards
    Jill

sparky

Default Power/Finn, Aghada

Thanks for replying. The Mallow Centre say they do not do "forward" research, and they only go back as far as I have already gone.

I contacted the only Aghada Power in the telephone directory some years ago with no success. The Parish Priest supplied the same details I already have, so it looks I can go no further.

I hae had a message on Curious Fox for some time.

Thanks again

Wortle

Quote Originally Posted by sparky View Post
    My gt.grandfather Cornelius Power was born 1839 in Aghada (parents Patrick Power (Seaman) and Joanna Finn. He was the seventh and last child. According to his marriage certificate in 1866 his father was already dead by that date. Joanna Power is in the Griffiths Valuation of 1851.
    Hi I am looking for the forebears of a David S Power, born in Cork, about 1780,married in London 1803, died in Berbice , presumably Guyana, 1832. I am wondering if you have come across his name. I have descendants. Thanks

sparky

Quote Originally Posted by Wortle View Post
    Hi I am looking for the forebears of a David S Power, born in Cork, about 1780,married in London 1803, died in Berbice , presumably Guyana, 1832. I am wondering if you have come across his name. I have descendants. Thanks
    Sorry. all my Powers were from Aghada/Whitegate, but thanks for replying.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default David [S] Power

Quote Originally Posted by Wortle View Post
    Hi there, I have his descendants too - I am one of them! Would love to share and compare
    David Power
    PS what does the 'S' stand for?