Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: jane alford

patalford

Default jane alford

Mona has suggested posting here.I am trying to find my Great Grandmothers maiden name.I first find her in the 1901 census in a caravan at Queens Rd married to William with a Daughter Annie working for Collins Fair.William dies 1904 and is buried at Phillips Park,on the Death certificate she gives her name as Jane Louisa Alford.in the 1911 census she appears aged 57 with her daughter Annie and her son Fred(my dad)at 345 Ashton New Road(a tobacconist).There is also a lodger there a William Ring.After this I can find nothing in respect of a death certificate.I can only assume she remarried.Obviously I have spent quite a lot of money ordering marriage and death certificates but have really hit a brickwall.my Grandmother I know later moved and lived till she died at 20 Hassop St,Bradford,Manchester.
    Pat Alford

janeld

Cant find the 1901 census reference you have, can you post some birth dates and place of birth..thanks

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by patalford
    I am trying to find my Great Grandmothers maiden name.I first find her in the 1901 census in a caravan at Queens Rd married to William with a Daughter Annie working for Collins Fair. William dies 1904 and is buried at Phillips Park
    Anyone else buried in the same plot, or mentioned on the headstone?

on the Death certificate she gives her name as Jane Louisa Alford.in the 1911 census she appears aged 57 with her daughter Annie and her son Fred(my dad)at 345 Ashton New Road(a tobacconist)
    Have you been able to locate birth certificates for Fred or Annie?

Patricia Anne

1901 reference

Class: RG13; Piece: 3752; Folio: 161; Page: 38.

janeld

do you know what year and where your Father was born Pat.
    If you can obtain his birth certificate it will have on it his mothers maiden name.

janbooth

Default Fred ALFORD

According to FreeBMD, Fred ALFORD's birth was registered in the September qtr 1909 at Prestwich registration district, vol 8d, page 447. If you buy his birth certificate (available to purchase online at www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/), it will give you Jane's maiden name. I can't find either her or Annie with any certainty in the 1891 census, nor a marriage with any certainty - there is one for a William ALFORD in 1888 at Bromsgrove reg district with a Jane LAYTON's name appearing on the same page - but the maiden name on Fred's birth certificate should make finding Jane prior to 1901 somewhat easier.

HTH

Janet

patalford

Default jane alford

It is the same brickwalls my Father Fred(mother Annie Alford) was illigitimate.
    Jane and her husband William Alford before 1901 are invisible.He died 1904 aged 60 and in the 1901 census gave his birth place as Hawick in Scotland but there is no record there.I have tried umpteen marriage certificates but come up blank.
    I really appreciate everybodies help.
    Pat

Geoffers

Does the 1911 census record a birthplace for Jane ALFORD?

You mentioned Annie was a daughter - how old was Annie in 1911 and where was she born?

patalford

Default jane alford

geoffers,in both cases jane and her daughter annie give manchester,lancs as their birthplace in the 1901 and 1911 census.Annie is given as 11 in 1901 and 21 in 1911but as I say various birth certificates I have obtained have turned out to be the wrong ones.
    PAT

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by patalford
    in both cases jane and her daughter annie give manchester,lancs as their birthplace in the 1901 and 1911 census.Annie is given as 11 in 1901 and 21 in 1911but as I say various birth certificates I have obtained have turned out to be the wrong ones.
    I was thinking more of initially trying to locate them in the 1891 census to see if that shows any clues as to why the family are hard to locate in the GRO index - age and birthplace may help. Although under-registration was more common in earlier years of civil registration, it did carry on to some degree, especially amongst the more intinerant families.

Sorry if this sounds like 20 questions, but what variant spellings have you tried of ALFORD?

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast