Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Spring Competition

Here is another competition folks, and once again there is a great prize.

All you have to do is read the Acceptable Use Policy which appears on a banner above all the main forums, and then read through the "Sticky" threads which appear at the top of various forums, marked with a drawing pin symbol (). Of course you will have read these already () but might want to refresh your memory. Some answers might also appear on the British-Genealogy Resource Pages.

Then answer the 20 questions below and send me a Private Message with your answers (to send a private message, click on my User Name). Do not post your answers on this thread!

The closing date is midnight GMT on 31 March, although I promise there is no significance to the answers being posted on April Fools Day .

The prize is a CD compiled by One Stop Genealogy of useful genealogy websites. The winner can choose whether they wish to receive England, Scotland, Ireland or Wales.

As a tiebreaker, please nominate an ordinary B-G thread that you have found which you think deserves "sticky" status. This should contain useful information to all but not mention commercial sites or contain lots of chatter. Highlight and copy the URL of the thread and post it in your Private Message below the answers.

OK, Here are the questions.

1. Discussion of which three subjects are not allowed on B-G, except where in direct relevance to your family history research?

2. Why do the moderators remove or close duplicate threads?

3. Name two places on the British-Genealogy Forums site where there is a direct clickable link to https://www.british-genealogy.com/ and the Resource Pages.

4. What was the date of the 1871 census?

5. In what year was the father's abode and occupation added to baptisms in the parish registers of England and Wales?

6. What is another name for Hundreds (a subdivision of a County) which you might find in old records?

7. To which genealogical site does the Sticky on Chapman Codes refer you (via a clickable link) to find a complete listing?

8. Which two sticky threads in the Useful Information and Tips Forum have been rated with five stars?

9. On which Forum would you find a sticky by Geoffers on how to use the National Archives website?

10. You are looking for a Black Sheep named Richard HACKLE. When you find him, what was his sentence for assault on 28th February 1849?

11. In what respect can the IGI be regarded as 100% accurate?

12. In what year did the Wesleyan, United, Primitive and Irish Methodist Churches unite to form the Methodist Church?

13. Using the on-line Database of Clergy, find the date of ordination of Thomas KAYLEY.

14. What are the National Archives catalogue reference numbers for Army Certificates of Service and Army Discharge Papers?

15. How old was Joseph BIRTLEY when he was killed in a mining disaster in 1889?

16. What was the occupation of William GATHERCOLE before he became a photographer, and which year did he die?

17. What is the new address of the Irish General Register Office?

18. What are the dates of the two Statistical Accounts for Scotland which are available on line?

19. When did registration of births, marriages and deaths begin in Queensland?

20. When did Canada cease to be a British Colony?
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Occasionally, just very occasionally, needs an umbrella!

Don't do this to me, Sue!!!
    I have masses of work to do before the end of March - and lots of new information to check and collate for my family tree - and now a competition .... which I will have to have a go at .....!!!
    Barbara

Life isn't waiting for the storm to pass - it is learning to dance in the rain

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara Wilkinson View Post
    Don't do this to me, Sue!!!
    I have masses of work to do before the end of March - and lots of new information to check and collate for my family tree - and now a competition .... which I will have to have a go at .....!!!
    Don't worry - it's quite an easy one
    Sue Mackay

Knowledgeable and helpful

Me: "Oooooh goody, another competition!"

Them indoors: "Oh No! Quick...grab her attention now, grab the PC while you can, stock up the fridge, give her the washing basket...!"
    Browneyes

Just thought I'd refresh people's mind that it's possible to click on thread tools for a printable page...
    Browneyes

v.wells

Quote Originally Posted by Browneyes View Post
    Just thought I'd refresh people's mind that it's possible to click on thread tools for a printable page...
    Thanks! I read this after I cut and pasted

There is that method of course...

Either way no-one needs to say 'I have to keep flicking back to the questions'.
    Browneyes

Jan1954

Looks like a great competition, Sue.

Here's a clue that might either help make Friday 13th lucky for you or give you something to do over the weekend.

I looked first at the AUP and the Resource Pages. When I compiled the other questions I opened up all the chevrons on the forum home page and opened each forum in turn looking for stickies at the top.

I didn't bother mixing up the questions afterwards, so they should all still be in sequence . Once you have read all the important stickies you should have found the answers!

Simple! Quite apart from the great prize, there is some very useful information in those stickies for those researching their family tree - and that's all of us isn't it?
    Sue Mackay

First entry has come in. Come on folks, you only have till the end of the month and you know you don't want to watch rugby all weekend

The entry contained the following quotes:

Hi Sue, Thought I'd give it a go. Did come across some information that I previously had no cause to search for - but that was the purpose, wasn't it
    Quite!

Re “tiebreaker”.
    Can’t nominate a thread that doesn’t already have “sticky” status, but wouldn’t it be useful to have a thread that contained shortcuts to.........
    I have obviously left out the details, but this seems like a good idea if you can't think of a specific thread that you would like 'stuck' but have some information you are constantly trying to find and would like to have as a sticky. You can even nominate a website (as long as it's not pay per view or commercial). The idea is that we will add to the useful stickies after the competition as a benefit to all - so everyone will be a winner if a lot of people enter.
    Sue Mackay

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast