Katlin

Default WHITESMITH to BELTMAN??

Hi,
    One of my ancestors was a whitesmith - according to census forms and a living relative who remembers him. However, I have recently discovered a reference to him being a beltman.

I have searched various websites - including the ones with links on this site - but cannot find the occupation beltman on any of them. The nearest reference I can find is belter which is something to do with bell making. This would seem to be reasonable as I know that a whitesmith worked with light coloured metals or could be a metalwork finisher. I wonder if at some point in his life he finished off bells after they had been cast.

I would be very grateful if any members of the forum could shed any light on this topic.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Hi Katlin,

I don't know where your man is from so if this isn't the right area perhaps it's still relevant in some way.

Beltman:- A person who maintains the belt.

Belt:- A conveyor belt (an endless moving belt) used to transport minerals, sometimes used to transport men and materials.

https://www.healeyhero.co.uk/rescue/g...glossary.htm#B

There's also a link on there to the Durham Mining Museum.
    Browneyes

Katlin

Default Thank you

Thank you, Brown Eyes.

The link you have given me is most interesting. I can't imagine why my ancestor would be working as a beltman in a mine. He was in Gateshead Co. Durham and the year was 1922. However, before that time and afterwards he was definitely a whitesmith. Intriguing!

I have visited the Durham Mining Museum site before. Sadly another ancestor was drowned in the pit at Beamish and this is recorded in the In Memoriam section.

Dave G

Belt man.......... I work in the paper and board industry, A belt man is responsible for the belts, replacing them when they wear out, rejoining them with "clinchers" when they tear or stretch. Although most of this work is now undertaken by a fitter.
    Mines use lots of conveyor belts for moving coal and "man riders".