Spangle

Default Death - Mariners death at sea?

I've just been told that a Master Mariner ancestor died at sea... something which, weirdly, I just knew but had no reason for thinking was the case, save that I knew what his occupation was. I have asked the lady who told me if she has any more info but curiosity is making me impatient (bless her, the lady is doubtless sensible and fast asleep by now!).

Can anyone indulge my insomnia and tell me if there are any online sources of deaths at sea/ships captains in the mid-1800s please? Or for that matter where I can seek further information (I have googled the name and variations of it without success). The man I am looking for is Charles Fox Oppenheim.

Thank you.

Spangle, Sleepless in South England!

Geoffers

It depends on when in the mid-1800's.

There is the index to deaths at sea 1854-1890, available on pay-per-view sites. Find an entry and you can apply for a copy of the certificate.

Have a browse of this TNA research guide.

There may be other records - you won't necessarily find them on the inter-webby-thingy, but it very much depends on the date.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Spangle
    did you ever find out what happened to Charles Fox Oppenheim?

Monjon,
    Welcome to Brit-gen.
    An old post and information can be found -
    Aussie newspapers https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/search?adv=y
    London Gazette https://www.thegazette.co.uk/all-notices

Cannot spot a death but the Trove obituary. for Lucy Oppenheim refers to the " ... late Captain Charles Fox Oppenheim ...". He married Lucy Offergeld in 1837.

Several records on FMP also.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks helachau. I understand that he was lost at sea somewhere between Manila and Gravesend in 1861. He was in Sydney in October 1861 when commander of the Elisa Stewart. Cannot find reference to any death anywhere other than the reference you refer to when Lucy, his wife, died

Reputation beyond repute

There is a Masters Certificate on Ancestry. If he was a Master his death should be recorded in the appropriate register which I think would be in series BT124 at the National Archives (personal visit required).

Monjon,
    Just confirming dates.
    There's an item in an Australian newspaper, 16 Jun 1860,referring to the arrival of the "Eliza Stewart, 524 tons, Oppenheim".
    The Shipping & Mercantile Gazette, 25 Oct 1861 , carries an advert for the sale of the "Eliza Stewart, 524 tons per register... Now lying in the East London Dock".

Was he lost " ... somewhere between Manila and Gravesend " in 1860 or 1861?
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

My mistake - he was lost at sea in 1861

Knowledgeable and helpful warncoort's Avatar

Might be worth a look here.
    https://bmdregisters.co.uk/