jakesjag

Default Eaton Family Wales -

Hi -

We moved to Hertfordshire last year from the US.

I have traced my fathers family - the Eatons to Wales.
    John and Joan Eaton lived in Llanddewi and attended the Dolau Baptist Church. I learned today there are 2 Baptist Churchs in Dolau so am hoping to determine which one they attended. The moved to America in the mid 1600's.

John Eaton's grandfather, George Eaton married Ellen Hatfield They lived in Llandinam, Wales. Some of the family lived in Nantmel.

I am planning a trip to these areas and would like to learn as much as I can before we go. My main focus right now is on the Dolau Baptist Church and any records they might have.

Thanks
    Marilyn

Geoffers

Welcome to the B-G forums

Quote Originally Posted by jakesjag
    I have traced my fathers family - the Eatons to Wales.
    John and Joan Eaton lived in Llanddewi and attended the Dolau Baptist Church. I learned today there are 2 Baptist Churchs in Dolau so am hoping to determine which one they attended. The moved to America in the mid 1600's.
    This seems quite early for a Baptist church; when was it founded at Dolau?

John Eaton's grandfather, George Eaton married Ellen Hatfield
    Do you know when and where? - What source have you used for this marriage?

Was this a landed, or wealthy family? Any wills?

I am planning a trip to these areas and would like to learn as much as I can before we go. My main focus right now is on the Dolau Baptist Church and any records they might have.
    Churches are very, very unlikely to hold records from this early. Records are likely to be deposited in a record office. Many non-conformist records were deposited with The National Archives (TNA) at Kew.

You may like to have a read of this TNA research guide (this bit linked covers non-conformist records)

Powys Archives Office should be a place to try for records in that county. They appear to have very little for Baptists and nothing from this early.

jakesjag

Hi -

Regarding the Baptists - I heard about a book on Baptists in Radnorshire from a relation who had some professional work done on the Eatons in Wales some years ago. I used google book search and found it on there.
    The History of the Baptists in Radnorshire: with a sketch of the history of Nonconformity in the county By John Jones Published by Elliot Stock, 1835

It says the Baptist church was first formed in Dolau in 1646. But was also mention of my ancestors, John Eaton, brother George and wife went to America in 1686 2 years before the persecution ended, to Pennypack Pennsylvania which we knew is where they went.

I had also read a date in 1636 but I think that was misread as an 8.

From what I have been told the Eatons did have land and property.

Thanks for the sources to check.
    Marilyn
    Last edited by jakesjag; 05-03-2009 at 5:53 AM. Reason: Wrote the wrong date

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by jakesjag
    I heard about a book on Baptists in Radnorshire from a relation who had some professional work done on the Eatons in Wales some years ago. I used google book search and found it on there.
    The History of the Baptists in Radnorshire: with a sketch of the history of Nonconformity in the county By John Jones Published by Elliot Stock, 1835
    Although referencing of sources may not be all you hope for, it may still help your research to read through the book carefully, noting sources and trying to check them; both to confirm the accruacy and also in case further detail is revealed to help you.

From what I have been told the Eatons did have land and property.
    As well as wills, you might look into any records of land tansfer - especially around the time of emigratin; either by copyhold (check surviving manorial records), or read through these guides for more ideas:

Land Conveyances: Enrolment of deeds

Land Converyances: Feet of Fines

You may find the handwriting in surviving records difficult to interpret; working through tutorials on palaeography may help you to become familair with the style of handwriting (Secretary Hand) used in this period.

As this is Wales you are talking about you should make a point of contacting the National Library of Wales in Aberystwyth. They have managed to get most registers and old records from the welsh churches and chapels deposited there.
    They have (or did have) a good keeper of manuscripts. Welsh records that old stand a good chance of being written in welsh too, just something to keep in mind.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time