Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    philmay

Hi, sorry I have made a mistake. the person I am looking for is Jacob Ruddle born 1881 died 1902 in Swindon.

MELLERS

Default GWR

Would you know if the Crewe Locomotive Works would be included. A number of my family worked there from the 1860's through the 1920's.

mariner

Question

Quote Originally Posted by SwindonLibrary View Post
    Sorry Mariner/Don - I'm not sure what you mean.
    Sorry I've taken so long to get back to you, my question re phrased is did the G W R get to Pembrokeshire or was it another railway company, the reason I asked is because my cockney ancestor married in Pembroke in 1869 and he was a fitter !! on the railway.
    Don

SwindonLibrary

Thanks for your questions - We will get back to you when we have some answers!

best wishes,

Swindon Central Library

SwindonLibrary

philmay, - is this Jacob?:

• Name: Jacob Ruddle
    • 1902 Sep Q3
    • District: Swindon
    • Volume: 5a Page: 15

If so, do you have the death certificate and therefore the date of death?
    If you do then I can check microfilms of the local paper (Swindon Evening Advertiser and others) for an obituary or story - and hopefully an account of what the circumstances of his young death were.
    An entire quarter of newspapers is far too much to check on microfilm sadly.

We have a small gap in our GWR staff magazine from 1895-1902 - so it may also be worth contacting STEAM, the museum of the GWR, who may well have a full set:
    Click for link to STEAM's library webpage

Their email : [email protected]

SwindonLibrary

Quote Originally Posted by MELLERS View Post
    Would you know if the Crewe Locomotive Works would be included. A number of my family worked there from the 1860's through the 1920's.
    Hello Mellers,
    The Crewe works were part of the Grand Junction railway
    Click for Wiki page on Crewe Locomotive works

We can't help you with Crewe. Perhaps the National Rail Museum:
    https://www.nrm.org.uk/home/home.asp

Or try Cheshire Local Studies:
    https://www.cheshire.gov.uk/Recordoff...it.htm#contact

SwindonLibrary

Quote Originally Posted by mariner View Post
    Sorry I've taken so long to get back to you, my question re phrased is did the G W R get to Pembrokeshire or was it another railway company, the reason I asked is because my cockney ancestor married in Pembroke in 1869 and he was a fitter !! on the railway.
    Don
    Hello Don,

To the best of my knowledge, the GWR did eventually form a large part of the Pembrokeshire railways. But previously there were several small local companies that, at the turn of the century, were taken over by the GWR.

In 1869 it is likely your ancestor worked for one of these smaller companies.

Try this excellent link:History of Pembrokeshire Railways.

philmay

philmay, - is this Jacob?:

• Name: Jacob Ruddle
    • 1902 Sep Q3
    • District: Swindon
    • Volume: 5a Page: 15

If so, do you have the death certificate and therefore the date of death?
    If you do then I can check microfilms of the local paper (Swindon Evening Advertiser and others) for an obituary or story - and hopefully an account of what the circumstances of his young death were.
    An entire quarter of newspapers is far too much to check on microfilm sadly.

We have a small gap in our GWR staff magazine from 1895-1902 - so it may also be worth contacting STEAM, the museum of the GWR, who may well have a full set:
    Click for link to STEAM's library webpage

Their email : [email protected]
    Hi,yes that is him, when I get a death cert I will be in touch. Thank you for your help so far.
    regards
    Phil

mariner

Hello Don,

To the best of my knowledge, the GWR did eventually form a large part of the Pembrokeshire railways. But previously there were several small local companies that, at the turn of the century, were taken over by the GWR.

In 1869 it is likely your ancestor worked for one of these smaller companies.

Try this excellent link:History of Pembrokeshire Railways.
    Thank you, He was based in Swansea on the 1901 census, so I expect that he transferred to the GWR then.
    Once again many thanks
    Don

Ffortune

Default Apprentice Engineers

Dear Swindon
    My grandfather did his engineering apprenticship (circa 1930) at the GWR in Swindon.
    Would you advise starting at Kew for staff info before coming down to Swindon or it is possible to start my research at Swindon?
    regards ffortune

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast