Meredith

Question DaCosta - Aindow.

I am researching these two family names. The DaCosta family were Ship Owners in Liverpool and lived in Gt. Crosby until 1887 when they moved to Upper Parliament Street, Liverpool. Any information would be appreciated.
    Meredith.

Famous for offering help & advice. Trish's Avatar

Default More Details?

Quote Originally Posted by Meredith
    I am researching these two family names. The DaCosta family were Ship Owners in Liverpool and lived in Gt. Crosby until 1887 when they moved to Upper Parliament Street, Liverpool. Any information would be appreciated.
    Meredith.
    Meredith,

Do you have any more information that may help track them down -- first names, ages, that sort of thing?

Trish

Default DECOSTAs in 1891

Meredith.
    Meredith,

Are the following members of your DaCosta family?

Living at 8 Pillatt Rd in Sutton, Surrey:

Name / Age in 1891 / Birthplace / Relationship / Civil parish / County / Occupation
    Decosta, John 69 Liverpool Head Sutton Surrey Shipping Agent
    Decosta, Margaret 64 Lancashire Wife Sutton Surrey
    Morgan, Sarah 55 Ireland Servant Sutton Surrey Domestic Servant

Source information: RG12/544
    Registration district: Epsom
    Sub registration district: Carshalton
    ED, institution, or vessel: 12
    Folio: 81
    Page: 9

At Woolwich Dockyard:

Name / Age in 1891 / Birthplace / Relationship / Civil parish / County / Occupation
    Decosta, Francis Ignatius 26 Great Crosby, Lancashire "C" Coy. O. S. Corps Woolwich London Private, Ordinance Store Corps

Source information: RG12/531
    Registration district: Woolwich
    Sub registration district: Woolwich Dockyard
    ED, institution, or vessel: Red Barracks
    Folio: 54
    Page: 5

Trish

Meredith

Trish, Thank you so much for this information. I can't tell you how pleased I am - it is a real breakthrough for me. John & Margaret DaCosta were my great grandparents and in my research I "lost" them when they left Liverpool. Francis Ignatius was a brother to my grandmother - Mary DaCosta (b. 1866). She married Henri Fortunato Valseechi in 1901 in London, and after that I don't know what happened to her. I haven't been able to trace her or any further descendants. I am so grateful to you. Many thanks.

...Francis Ignatius was a brother to my grandmother - Mary DaCosta (b. 1866). She married Henri Fortunato Valseechi in 1901 in London, and after that I don't know what happened to her...
    You are most welcome, Meredith. I love breakthroughs!

I did a quick scan for more information. I didn't find anything on your grandmother after she married or anything at all on the name Valseechi but here's what I did find -- which you probably already have:

***1881 Census:
    Your grandmother, Mary, is a boarder at the Convent Lane Convent School...

Name / Estimated Birth Year / Birthplace / Relationship / Residence
    Mary De Costa [sic] abt 1866 Crosby, Lancashire, England Boarder Layton With Warbreck

Source information: RG11/4252
    Registration district: Fylde
    Sub-registration district: Poulton Le Fylde
    ED, institution, or vessel: 2
    Folio: 32
    Page: 35

***Civil Registration Index:
    Francis marries in the September quarter of 1900 in West Derby, Lancashire. Possible brides are Charlotte Reid Bingham and Walburga Mary Daly.

***1901 Census:
    Name / Age in 1901 / Birthplace / Relationship / Civil Parish County / Occupation
    Frances J De Costa [sic] 37 Crosby, Lancashire, England Head Camberwell London [looks like...] Quarter Master Sergent [sic] Army Ordinance Corp
    Wilbings M De Costa [sic] 30 Waterloo, Lancashire, England Wife Camberwell London
    Last edited by Trish; 21-02-2005 at 11:32 PM. Reason: To remove junk code

Meredith

Smile DaCosta/Valseechi.

Many thanks to Trish and uksearch for your invaluable help.
    My great grandparents - John DaCosta and Margaret (Kershaw) were married at St. Anthony's Chapel in Liverpool 26th August 1844. John was a widower but I know nothing about his first marriage. They built and lived in a huge mansion called Claremont House in Crosby where they brought up nine children.
    My Grandmother Mary was their youngest child. She gave birth to my father Francis William on 12th August 1889 in Liverpool. Shortly afterwards the family left Liverpool for London. Mary married Fortunato Henri Valseechi at St. Peter's Italian Church, Holborn on 12th December 1900. Their address was 35, Gosfield Street, St. Marylebone. They had a daughter born 19th July 1901 called Angela Maria Francesca.
    On Mary's marriage certificate her father John is shown as "deceased".
    The name Isaac DaCosta mentioned (by uksearch) does not appear in any of the information I already have.
    Thanks again.
    Meredith.

uksearch

The IGI has a baptism at St Peter's Liverpool,2nd Oct 1822 of a John DECOSTA.Parents John Joseph DECOSTA and Elisabeth.

UK

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi
    I know this is a tad late but recently I started to research my family history and My mothers grandmother was Mary Ellen De Costa married to Joseph John De Costa the shipping agen who was also the Confederate Army sympathiser and Millionaire.
    I have quite a lot of information so far pertaining to my Mother / grand mother and great grand mother.
    If you are still looking for this then feel free to contact me.
    Regards Nick

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

hello and thank you for the opportunity to ask, i come to realize i need help.
    i am looking everywhere for my DE COSTA ancestors
    i can see that there is a Da Costa family here but i am not totally sure they are my ancestors because the names are not matching totally, even if i want to!

My GGM :CEFELONiA MADELEINE AME GERTRUDE DE COSTA was born on the 20th JANUARY 1867 apparently in LIVERPOOL,
    her father is (Count) GEORGE ALFRED AUGUSTINE PERCIVAL PERCY VANE DE COSTA
    and her Mother is MARGARET PEARCE,

this 2 names i have them listed 1st in Madeleine.s Mariage Certificate in 1890 (Strand) with George Henderson KILLICK and for the mother.s name in Madeleine.s death certificate in FRANCE where she lived (Paris); had 4 or 5 daughter and died. (i retrieved everything from france but got NOTHING from her birth location or parents, siblings....)
    I found her only in ONE census 1891 where its mentionned that she is a operatie singer born lancashire and indeed she was a singer, cos also ive found her on the LIVERPOOL DAILY POST 30 JULY 1886 with this article;
    National Society of Professional Musicians
    Madeleine de Costa Singing: second-class honor
    so 2 confirmations that she is aparently from Liverpool. i CANNOT find her records anywhere else, nor GRO, nor any other genealogy site. i would really appreciate any tips; any insight any ideia about MADELEINE DE COSTA opera singer/ pianist who played also in Farhnam (Newspaper : Windsor and Eton Express 31 dec. 1887)and had great critics, but somehow has no attachments to ENGLAND where she was born. thank you very much again for your time and consideration.

Note from Moderator:
    I have left this message in this original thread just in case there is a connection to the De/Da Costa family mentioned upthread.
    However, if you can help with this query, please post your replies in this specific thread.
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...trude-De-Costa
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 28-11-2023 at 4:00 AM. Reason: Added note