JaneJ

Default Lawful son of John Richardson.

Hi Everyone,
    I need some help again.
    I have the OPR birth records for Jane Stewart Maxwell RICHARDSON b: 06/11/1825 in Springkell, Kirkpatrick Fleming, and James RICHARDSON b: 19/09/1822, in Barnfoot, Kirkpatrick Fleming.
    James entry reads, "James lawful son of John Richarson and Nicolas Moor born at Barnfoot
    "Jane's entry reads, "Jane Stewart Maxwell lawful daughter of John Richardson and Nicolas Mure Springkall".
    My querie is that I read on one of the other threads that Lawful son/daughter of ....... was a euphemism for a birth out of wedlock.
    The thing that has me puzzled is that of the 18 entries on the 2 OPR records I have, only 2 of them do not have the Lawful prefix.
    Now this could mean that Kirkpatrick Fleming was a very progressive place to live or the lawful prefix meant something else?? I also need to add that I have been unable to find a marriage entry for James and Nicolas, though Nicolas is said to be a Widow in 1851 census and her death cert' states she was the widow of James Richardson.
    Does anyone have any ideas about this or has come across the something similar in the Dumfries area.
    Jane

JustJean

Lawful son or daughter of....means precisely that. The child was born of parents who were married in the eyes of the law. If the parents were not married the births would have been tagged illegitimate.

If you suspect your couple wed in Kirkpatrick-Fleming then it doesn't appear the record is extant. The condition of the original registers of marriage are described as: No entries 1762 or May 1772-Feb 1776. Record ends July 1776except one entry for 1836 and one for 1843.

Best wishes
    Jean

JaneJ

Once again you have come up trumps Jean.

I had thought that this was the case, but after reading the thread about illigitimate children, it got me worried that I had presumed again!!

My Mum will be so pleased, any mention of "goings on" or impolite illness (lol) is followed by "your not putting that on your computer are you dear? ".

One again Jean thankyou so much.

Yours Jane

JustJean

Genealogy rule number 1....keep the living rellies as happy as possible

Best wishes
    Jean