Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    bibadeb

Default Meadows family in Garston

I am trying to trace my grandmothers family. They lived in Woodger Street Garston, until her mothers death in 1912. Two of her sisters went to family in Canada. Her father James Emanuel Meadows lived in Thomas Street in 1915. My grandmother lived with her aunt Minnie Talbot in Byron Street. There were 3 other children, James Emanuel jnr, Ada and Rosa who all seem to have vanished! Any information please!

Wirral

Hi Bibadeb. Welcome to the forum.
    Have you looked at the family in the 1911 census? The mother is head of the household & is with 6 children in Garston.
    Jessie MEADOWS 38; Jessie 13; Florence 11; Maude 10; James Emanuel 7; Rosa Eleanor 3, Ada Edith 1.
    You would need to view the original census page to get the full details, including the address & whoever else was living there.

According to FreeBMD www.freebmd.org.uk , only Ada Edith was born in Garston. Rosa was born in Stafford & the other children were born in Woolwich. James Emanuel MEADOWS married Jessie HUTCHINSON in Dec 1896 Woolwich vol 1d, page 1983.

I can't find a death for Jessie MEADOWS (the mother) on FreeBMD. There are possible MEADOWS marriages on www.lancashirebmd.org.uk

bibadeb

Smile thank you!

Thanks for taking the time to post all the information.
    i have looked at the 1911 census. Jessie is buried in Allerton cemetery, under the name Mary Meadows. Its after her death I can't trace anyone. The last information I have is in 1914. I wondered if anyone knew anything about Minnie Talbot who lived in Byron Street. She and her descendants might hold the key to what happened to James E jnr, Edith and Rosa. I've trawled through every record under the sun relating to Meadows's, both in the UK, Canada and USA, and they have vanished!
    Thanks again for all your help.

Wirral

Quote Originally Posted by bibadeb View Post
    Jessie is buried in Allerton cemetery, under the name Mary Meadows.
    Why is she under the name Mary as she was married under the name Jessie & was called Jessie in 1911? What was she called on her death certificate?

Its after her death I can't trace anyone. The last information I have is in 1914. I wondered if anyone knew anything about Minnie Talbot who lived in Byron Street. She and her descendants might hold the key to what happened to James E jnr, Edith and Rosa. I've trawled through every record under the sun relating to Meadows's, both in the UK, Canada and USA, and they have vanished!
    Any idea when Edith & Rosa were sent to Canada? Or was it the other girls who were sent?

Wirral

Fostering/adoption seems to have been common.

1911 census seached on place Byron, West Derby:
    Elizabeth TALBOT 39; Dorothy 15; Ellen Elizabeth 6; Ivy Milicent 3; James William 9mths. All the children born Garston.

1901 RG13/3507 folio 185 page 11, 17 Byrom [sic] Street, Garston, Lancs
    James TALBOT, head, M, 27, Dock labourer, Hereford, Leominster
    Elizabeth TALBOT, wife, M, 28, Salop, Ludlow
    TALBOT, dau, 5, Lancs, Garston
    TALBOT, dau, 1, Lancs, Garston

At 16 Byrom St
    George SIMPSON, head, M, 29, Railway brakesman, Crewe, Sale
    Harriet SIMPSON, wife, M, 26, London, Regents Park
    Enid Sophia TALBOT, adopted dau, 3, Lancs, Garston

1911 census, Byron, West Derby
    George SIMPSON 39, Hetty SIMPSON 36 & Enid SIMPSON 13 living together in West Derby.

bibadeb

Unhappy Meadows family

Jessie's full name was Mary Ann Jessie Meadows nee Hutchinson. I had all sorts of problems tracing her as i was looking for Mary or Mary Ann on all the records, but on most records and all the childrens birth certs she is called Jessie. The burial record seems to be the exception!
    The children that were sent to Canada after her death, were her eldest daughter, Jessie, and third daughter, Maud. They left on the Tunisian from Liverpool in 1913 for Quebec. Jessie was taken in by an aunt in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan. I think Maud died unmarried out there, but can't confirm this. She didn't go to stay with the aunt.
    My grandmother, Florence stayed in England. She enlisted in the womens army which is how i have her address at Byron Street, living with her aunt, Minnie Talbot, nee Hutchinson,. They were all born in Woolwich, London and Minnie was married in London. Minnie appears to have been her real name, not a pet name.
    G grandfather, James Emanuel Meadows b 1871, tried to enlist in 1915, giving a false age. He gives his next of kin as my grandmother, Florence, living in Byron Street. He lives at Thomas Street, and lists his children as James Emanuel, Rosa and Edith. These are the ones who I can't trace.
    James snr is not on the 1911 census, but i found him on a passenger list of 1910 on the way to see his father in Moose Jaw and it looks as though he was going to get work out there in the flour mill. His family had moved out there en masse in about 1909 from London. Things can't have gone to plan for some reason, as he has returned to liverpool and is present at Jessies death in 1912, and is still in Liverpool in 1915.
    It seems logical to think they all went to Canada ... my grandmother never talked of this! She said two sisters went out there, and that she had a brother who died young, but until i started to research all this, i never knew she had three other siblings. I have searched all the passenger lists to and fron Liverpool to Canada, and can't find anything, apart from a James E Meadows travelling much later on, but the ages are wrong for it to be either of my relatives.
    Its getting too long ago now to hope that there is anyone in Liverpool who can remember Minnie Talbot or her family. I wondered if she took the children in? I'll keep searching, but thank you so much for all your help. Everyone is so incredibly helpful. This research stuff is so addictive, its great to be able to put someone in the right direction or make connections.
    I have looked on google earth and it seems as if Byron Street, Woodger Street and Saunby Street, were Edith was born, are all in the process of being demolished. I wish i had started this a couple of years ago, as the houses could possibly have still been standing!

Wirral

From www.lancashirebmd.org.uk
    Rosa Ellen Stafford MEADOWS married John Douglas RATCLIFFE 1944 St Michael's, Aughton. There are a number of Ediths who marry, but can't tell if any are her.
    Rosa does not appear to have had children by this marriage.

Wirral

Rosa Ellen S. MEADOWS born Mar 1908 Stafford 6b 10.
    Rosa Ellen S RATCLIFFE born 29 Dec 1907 died Jan 1997 West Lancashire 5902 entry 106.

bibadeb

Smile Rosa Ellen

Thank you so much! That is amazing news. I find it so sad that my grandmother Florence lost touch with all her family. She died in 1982 ... sad she never saw Rosa again. I'll send for Rosa's marriage cert and it might tell me if her father was alive at the time ( doubtful! ) but all information is useful.
    By the way, i don't think the Talbots were in Garston for long. Minnie had a son, Harry who died in 1917 in Ormskirk.
    We are planning a trip to Liverpool just to see some of these places. Silly perhaps, but I hate to think they were forgotten for so long.
    Thank you again. So grateful for all your help.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I realize this thread is 9 years old, however, I have just come across it . My great-grandmother was Lucy Louisa (Talbot) Ireland and in 1911, she lived at 15 Byron Street, Garston, with my grandmother and her two siblings, along with her in-laws (my great-great grandparents). I haven't done in-depth research yet on the Talbot side but with your Talbot relative also living on Byron Street they are probably related. I haven't found a Minnie Talbot yet though. My great-grandmother had a sister named Rosetta.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast