Murray

Question Anglo-Norman families in Ireland

Is anyone aware of any research on Anglo-Norman families who settled in Ireland?

I have a number of interconnected English families living mainly in (or connected with) the south of Ireland, some of which appear to be Norman in origin: Canter, Barrington, de Blaquire, White, Spunner, Josselyn, Suche , Bacon.

Murray

john brown

Cool canter white families

murray,my g grandfather was arthur benjamin canter son of charles george canter son of joseph palmer canter who was married to elizabeth white i would like to share info on these people if you can tell me how they are connected to the spunners would be great,i will be glad to fill you in on the later generations.thanks john e brown

Murray

Hi John
    I'll reply off line, we have got a lot of information on this family.

Murray

Murray

John, did you get my e-mail. I think I can connect you to other descendants of Joseph Palmer and go back a few generations.

john brown

Default canter family

murray,i tried to respond but had a problem sending message,i have corresponded with kent jaffa but dont have a current address for him,thanks a million for the info.,my relation to kent is he is descended from my charles george canters sister,i live in fort meade florida,arthur benjamin canter came to this town in 1884 with his uncle dr.william lock weems,go to florida genweb go to hardee county go to pioneer profiles by spessard stone and you will find a profile on a b canter,yes i would like to know more and i went to your site,tell me what you would like and i will try to bring you up to date on the a b canter line.thanks john

Murray

John, I've tried offline again. The e-mail address on this site and the return address in my messages are both OK, so I'm not sure what went wrong.
    Murray

staunton

Murray,
    Ive done some reseach on the De Staunton,s, mainly in Mayo, Galway and Down.
    Edward MacLysaght historian and genealogist has written many books on irish names.
    A good place to start on Anglo Norman names would be - www.rootsweb.com/~fianna/surname
    Good luck to you.

Murray

Thanks Staunton, it looks an interesting site.

I've made a small amount of progress over the years, although with few clear answers yet.

Canters - probably Norman and from the Wiltshire/Gloucestershire area in England

Barrington - probably Norman, possibly connected to William the Conqueror.

White, Spunner, Suche - probably Huguenot

Josselyn - certainly Norman (Jocelyn in Ireland)

Bacon - ??, with an odd connection to Francis Bacon